New SWYPE beta version 2.15.56.14870 problem

kadmiral

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
After getting an email invitation to update swype I downloaded the program and installed it on my HTC Incredible. It worked wonderfully for about a week but it/I now need some help. The swype keyboard still appears whenever I am in any text entry app as does the swype logo button. The blue line appears and follows my finger but no text ever appears. In addition the word predictor does not appear but rather the box which shows what I have swyped with the red x that closes out whatever word is displayed. Any help would be appreciated.

anon(18050)

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I hope Swype fixes this soon, it's annoying having to do this every time you reboot the phone. Anybody know if this happens on other phones too.

Also, anybody else have issues with seemingly random startup states? Every once in a while Swype will default to the symbols page when i go to type something, while other times it's uppercase or lowercase. I can understand the upper/lowercase, but why would it default to symbols when trying to type a SMS?

anicholas7

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I have swype beta version 2.17.59.15552 which is the downsized version with just English and Spanish language and I have had the same problems for the past month or two. I know that this is just a beta version but I thought the purpose of these beta versions were to find bugs and have them fixed. I would think they know about this but nothing has been done to solve the problem. Do they have a web site to post findings good and bad so that they can tweak the beta version as needed?

kadmiral

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
change the input to another keyboard then change back to swype

Thanks for the try.

Unfortunately the fix didn't work. I deselected SWYPE on the Keyboard section of settings and then selected SWYPE again. Now the keyboard never went back to suggesting that SWYPE had been selected (no SWYPE logo and no blue cursor following my finger around). So I turned the phone off and on and then selected SWYPE again (twice). No luck. As a technical rookie I think I'm doomed.

To demonstrate my rookie status, I don't even know what "root" means in connection with a cellphone.

kadmiral

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
sorry: SWYPE is back

Thanks for the try.

Unfortunately the fix didn't work. I deselected SWYPE on the Keyboard section of settings and then selected SWYPE again. Now the keyboard never went back to suggesting that SWYPE had been selected (no SWYPE logo and no blue cursor following my finger around). So I turned the phone off and on and then selected SWYPE again (twice). No luck. As a technical rookie I think I'm doomed.

To demonstrate my rookie status, I don't even know what "root" means in connection with a cellphone.

After I posted the quoted confession of ignorance I found the answer on another post:

[COLO R="Navy"]"Every time Swype starts it needs access to the phone's ESN number to authenticate. Because this information is not available after a hotboot Swype will have to be restarted a few moments after the phone boots up. To do this just long press on an input field and select Input Method then tap Android Keyboard. After the default android keyboard is selected just long press on an input field again, and reselect Swype from the Input Method option. After Swype is turned back on you'll be able to Swype until your next hotboot."[/COLOR]

So, SWYPE is back and even though I have no idea what an ESN number is I am very grateful to whomever posted this.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Kadmiral
ESN is the ID number to your device. Every device has one. It is how they know it is your device.

I am glad you can work your Swype. I must be the only one who doesn't like it. I keep making more errors than with the stock keyboard. LOL I can't get used to swype. So I am back to the regular stock keyboard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress