03-28-2011 12:39 AM
184 ... 45678
tools
    I'm curious about this as well. Does this have any affect on the Car Cradle options?
    If not, is anyone aware of how to have the car cradle default to Google Maps, Google Voice Search, Google Navigation, and Google Search?
    I replaced stock car cradle app with Custom Car Home from the market. You can put anything you want on 3 screens of 8 shortcuts each. I put all my google nav, maps, search, voice search, GPSStatus, GPS Search, Yelp and a bunch of other stuff on it. It has settings to autostart bluetooth, GPS, disable WIFI, etc when you plug into the dock. At first couldn't get it to autoload in the car dock. Used Locale and two plugins for it. Dock Condition Plug-in and Shortcut plug-in. Locale seems pricey but once you see what it can do, it's amazing! I also used it to replace the stock desk cradle app.
    10-13-2010 08:37 PM
    I know, a silly question.
    10-13-2010 09:33 PM
    so i just got this phone and was going to make a post that said pretty much the same thing im such a noob that i didnt get the rooting instruction and i dont know how to change the apk files. at least a litttle help with the apk files will get me started thanks in advance

trilla!!!!!!!!!

First: Congratulations and thanks to all of you who put forth the effort to take this phone from disappointing to perfection. I was willing to put up with the Bing-ness just so I could upgrade from my BB, but now I will actually be proud to flaunt my new Android device. I imagine the conversation with my iPhone fanboy friends will go something like: "I hear you can only use Bing on tha...", "BAM! Do you see the Google? FEAR IT!" I may have some unresolved anger issues...

Second: As newly deflowered Android virgin, I have no experience at rooting, side-loading, or any other deviant phone behavior. I'm willing to bet there are some others like me who converted specifically for this phone. That bing said (see what I did there?), I humbly request on behalf of my self and my fellow newbies that a single guide be compiled that will enable us to root the phone, google-ize it (set up the search button function, widget, etc.), install the lag fix, as well as anything else that would be essential to "optimizing" the phone. I realize this is probably asking a lot and that most of this information is already available, but I haven't been able to comprehend the instructions in the root guide and I would really like to set this phone up the way it was meant to be.

Third: Thanks again for all the work that's been put into this project so far. Without y'all we'd still be stuck in Bing-land.
    10-17-2010 12:51 PM
    OK, I was able DL LauncherPro, DL the search and google maps - it looked like I was free of Bing! but then I did a search in the Google home box and it came up with Bing! results. WTF? Anyone know what likely step I missed??

I saw someone (Cory?) post a video where they had Google Search setup but they had the TW icons. I want that - I like the TW icons better when I try to change icons, I don't get them as an option. Can anyone help a non-geek out on how to accomplish that part?
    10-19-2010 11:48 AM
    why is this not working for me!!? please help. downloaded apk file to my laptop and transferred it to file manager (astro) but can get any image to come up or get it to launch with launcherpro. please help
    10-21-2010 02:04 PM
    I'm new to the forums and just wanted to say thanks to Cory and all the other advanced android users who put together this great thread. I've never messed with rooting or any terminal commands before, and this was as straight-forward as it gets as a first timer.

My question I feel is appropriate for this thread and after going through every page on this thread, I haven't seen an answer or the question posed (granted, I've been staring at threads for about four hours now and I'm pretty sure I'm seeing double, so I might be wrong)

It has been recommended to switch to Launcher Pro in order to get the full functionality of google in order to get the google search widget. Before I rooted, I had used launcher pro, and I preferred it, but the lag with the two different loaders was too much for my OCD to handle.

My question is: Is it safe to disable TW Launcher and run only Launcher Pro, or will that severely screw something up?

Sorry for the long winded lead in, again thanks to all for the great work!
    10-22-2010 11:58 PM
    I'm new to the droid world and need some help. I downloaded the google search .apk on my sc card and then installed it through the "My Files" app. It said installation was complete but it doesn't show up on m apps screens or any or my home screen or for that matter any of the other screens. However, when I jump into task manager it shows it as installed and gives me the option to uninstall it. I'm not familiar with launch pro. where can i get a hold of this app and load it to my fascinate?
    10-26-2010 03:02 PM
    When I set launcherpro as my default and launch it the contacts icon built in at the bottom of launcherpro gives me a message "could not launch the requested activity". I've tried removing and and reinstalling it with the same result.
    10-26-2010 05:10 PM
    Hello everyone. I just discovered that you can use google search with TW launcher. I installed the enhanced google search .apk and then used Launcher pro as default home app to placed the google search widget on the homescreen. It worked great. Then I went back and made TW Launcher my default home app and while in the camera app I accidently touched the search button and noticed I could search using google just like with LauncherPro. I did this with the several apps and it worked. On apps like Messaging and Contacts you have to tap the Search button twice. Is this a bug? It will also work with any app not on your homescreen. Sorry if this has been posted before. But I just discovered this and had to post it.
    10-30-2010 01:41 AM
    Had been rooted and removed bloat where, and now i finally got around to getting rid of bing and i love having the hard search button be google rather than bing. Thanks alot for putting this together!
    11-01-2010 09:27 PM
    Tank you so much for this. I finally got around to removing Bing on brothers Fascinate. Now I don't have to hear him complain anymore...

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
    11-02-2010 10:06 AM
    Hey Cory, I'm new to this forum and just got a fascinate. Since you have mastered the Google in place of Bing shortcut, was wondering if you know how to remove VZ shortcut from the car cradle and replace it with Google
    nav. Saw lots of blogs but no real answers. Just rooted phone today but don't know where to go from there. Is this even possible or should i just wait for the 2.2 update? I do have launcher pro installed. Works great for new front screen features.
    11-03-2010 02:42 AM
    I'm a noob when it comes to phones but I speak Linux/Unix pretty well and I think I'm getting this. Thanks to all who have added info about rooting a phone, lag fix, and getting google as a default search. Before I actually try to install the google .apk, I have a couple of questions that I would greatly appreciate answers to from those in the know.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S Fascinate:
    1. Do I have to use LauncherPro in order to make the Google .apk work with the hardware search button? I'm worried about lag with LauncherPro- should I be?

2. Do I use odin with the phone in Download mode to but the google .apk on the sdcard? Or is it easier than that?

Thanks,

Kevin
    11-24-2010 11:17 AM
    I'm interested to know if anyone has broken any ground on searches made through the stock browser being routerd through vzw/bing? I know I can use dolphin, firefox, opera, skyfire or whatever but I actually like the stock browser. Just wondering if anyone you genius super users have figured it out. Thanks!

Rooted, Bebloated, (mostly)De-Bing'd Fascinate
    11-24-2010 03:38 PM
    Excellent! I've attached the apk and will sticky this

Download to SD card and run.
    is that the apk for the google thing?
    11-25-2010 11:41 PM
    I'm interested to know if anyone has broken any ground on searches made through the stock browser being routerd through vzw/bing? I know I can use dolphin, firefox, opera, skyfire or whatever but I actually like the stock browser. Just wondering if anyone you genius super users have figured it out. Thanks!

Rooted, Bebloated, (mostly)De-Bing'd Fascinate
    You can replace the stock browser with the stock browser from the Mesmerize, which is a Canadian version of he Fascinate, and has no Bing
    11-25-2010 11:52 PM
    Hi,

Followed the instructions thus far and downloaded the apk. Then, I got the LauncherPro app and not sure what to do from here on my Samsung Fascinate. Help!
    11-27-2010 11:02 PM
    How do I get this to defalt when I put my phone in the car cradle?

Thx,

Mel
    11-28-2010 12:54 PM
    I have now fixed everything on this phone that made me skeptical of getting it in the first place.
    11-28-2010 05:59 PM
    Downloaded the google apk in the beginning of the thread, went to install it and it froze. Completely.
    11-29-2010 02:52 AM
    Is anybody else finding that the soft key search still goes through Bing? The voice search works right but not the regular search.
    11-29-2010 09:01 AM
    Thanks to everybody who posted about rooting and de-binging. My fascinate is now de-binged and my hardware search button defaults to google for type and voice- just what I wanted! I'm trying different browsers right now to find one I like that works with flash. This site is a great resource.
    11-29-2010 04:45 PM
    Hi, I am a new user to the fascinate and need help!!!!! I loaded your link

From this post, I side-loaded the enhanced .apk

http://forum.androidcentral.com/veri...tml#post338794

but now I do not know what to do. Will the search be all google and will google maps work if I do this? Do you guys have a step by step guide. I know this is a lot to ask for but people like me have no idea and this bing app is for the birds. Please help.
    11-30-2010 11:53 AM
    Hey I've got a noob question:

I've had my phone for couple of days now and have got it succesfully rooted. But my "de-Bing" process has experienced a hiccup. So i've got a couple questions.

1. How do i get the hard search button to go straight to Google?
    2. Is there a way to fully integrate google without Launcher Pro?
    12-02-2010 07:59 PM
    Hey I've got a noob question:

I've had my phone for couple of days now and have got it succesfully rooted. But my "de-Bing" process has experienced a hiccup. So i've got a couple questions.

1. How do i get the hard search button to go straight to Google?
    2. Is there a way to fully integrate google without Launcher Pro?
    Nevermind.... I did a little more reading and fixed my own problem....
    12-02-2010 09:47 PM
184 ... 45678