Which modem should I have?

rjack22

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I am running the Froyo 2.2 stock rooted ROM (ODIN). I understood that this package did not include a modem upgrade so I am still on the older one.

First question is where do I look under About Phone to find out which modem I have? Is it the Baseband Version or Build Number? My Baseband says EB01 and my Build number says ED01.

Next question. I don't want to go to Gingerbread yet because there appears to be some issues with the leaked ODIN package. Can I get the newest modem version via ODIN and will this affect anything else on my phone if I do it? Wipe files, etc.? What is the current modem build?

Is it worth my while to even bother upgrading my modem? Benefits?

I should say that everything is working fine as is and I would only bother upgrading my modem if there are some benefits to be had. I do plan on flashing to Gingerbread once it is stable and if there is a stock Gingerbread rooted version in a ODIN package.

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I am running the Froyo 2.2 stock rooted ROM (ODIN). I understood that this package did not include a modem upgrade so I am still on the older one.

First question is where do I look under About Phone to find out which modem I have? Is it the Baseband Version or Build Number? My Baseband says EB01 and my Build number says ED01.

Next question. I don't want to go to Gingerbread yet because there appears to be some issues with the leaked ODIN package. Can I get the newest modem version via ODIN and will this affect anything else on my phone if I do it? Wipe files, etc.? What is the current modem build?

Is it worth my while to even bother upgrading my modem? Benefits?

I should say that everything is working fine as is and I would only bother upgrading my modem if there are some benefits to be had. I do plan on flashing to Gingerbread once it is stable and if there is a stock Gingerbread rooted version in a ODIN package.

The best modem is unfortunately the modem that works best with your phone. It's just one of those trial and error things. You can certainly ODIN the EC09 modem that came with the Gingerbread leak. I have experienced better 3G download speeds and slightly improved cell signal with it:

MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

Or you can follow the instructions in this thread to try the ED01 or ED04 modems:

[MODEM][ODIN][CWM]DL09, EA28, ED01, ED03, ED04 modems without ridiculous 100MB OTAs - xda-developers

rjack22

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Am I correct in that I am running the ED01 modem now? Will installing the EC09 modem work with Froyo instead of Gingerbread that it was intended for? Will installing the EC09 modem wipe any data?

Before I run it I need to know the answers. Thanks!

johnsma22

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Am I correct in that I am running the ED01 modem now? Will installing the EC09 modem work with Froyo instead of Gingerbread that it was intended for? Will installing the EC09 modem wipe any data?

Before I run it I need to know the answers. Thanks!

No, the modem is your baseband, which is EB01. You are on an ED01 build, which is Froyo. The EC09 modem will work fine with Froyo . In fact, it's the best modem that I've run on my Fascinate so far! I'm running Com Rom 2.1.

I get really fast 3G download speeds, and best of all, EC09 completely fixed my GPS lock problems that I've had since I bought the phone back in Sept. 2010. I get consistent locks on 9 birds within 30 seconds, where before it could take 10 minutes, if at all, to get a lock.

Also, flashing EC09 with Oden WILL NOT wipe any data!

rjack22

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the information. I just installed the EC09 modem and all is well. Now to see if I notice any difference.

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
went from ea28 yea i know really old to the ec09 its amazing! i can really see the different in signal and speed

Just getting more bars on the signal strength meter is not the best judge if that is what you are going by. Go menu=>settings=>about phone=>status and check what it says for signal strength. Anything below -80 dbm is really good signal strength, anything above -95 dbm is pretty bad signal strength. Of course if you didn't keep track of what your dbm was before on the previous radio, there's nothing for you to compare it to :p

Brettdacosta

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Am I just imagining things or did I read somewhere that if you go to the ED04 modem, that it still shows up as ED01 in the settings>about phone section? I think I flashed the ED01 to ED04 cw file, but I can't remember. Any way to tell or should I just not worry with checking the ED04 modem and go straight to EC09? Thanks in advance.

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Am I just imagining things or did I read somewhere that if you go to the ED04 modem, that it still shows up as ED01 in the settings>about phone section? I think I flashed the ED01 to ED04 cw file, but I can't remember. Any way to tell or should I just not worry with checking the ED04 modem and go straight to EC09? Thanks in advance.

According to comradesven's thread containing those modem delta files, you cannot just flash the ED01 to ED04 zip file if you were on ED01. The modem delta files work a specific way by patching over the DL09 modem. So in order to get the ED04 modem from ED01 you would have needed to flash the DL09 modem then the DL09 to ED04 modem delta. You can flash the EC09 modem directly in ODIN though. I have been noticing better 3G download and upload speeds on it and slightly improved cell signal.

Brettdacosta

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
But I can run DL09 modem with UKB 2.1, right? So if I wanted to give ED04 a go before heading up to EC09 (I'm assuming that's what you were talking about being on and getting better speeds / signal), I would just ODIN the DL09 modem file and then flash the DL09 to ED04 file in CW?

Shark - could you explain why the ED01 to ED04 file exists in that thread then? Thanks, man.

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
But I can run DL09 modem with UKB 2.1, right? So if I wanted to give ED04 a go before heading up to EC09 (I'm assuming that's what you were talking about being on and getting better speeds / signal), I would just ODIN the DL09 modem file and then flash the DL09 to ED04 file in CW?

Shark - could you explain why the ED01 to ED04 file exists in that thread then? Thanks, man.

You can run any of those modems with UKB 2.1. That way you can experiment if you want in order to find out which modem works best with your phone. Yes, I was referring to the EC09 modem. And yes, you can flash the DL09 modem in ODIN, then the DL09 to ED04 file in CWM. If I remember correctly the ED01 to ED04 file exists because before comradesven was able to put together the straight from DL09 to whatever modem files, you had to step up incrementally from one to the other so DL09=>EA28=>ED01=>ED03 or ED04. And my guess would be he just never removed them from the thread.

jack22182

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Tried this, and the EC09 modem is definitely different. My house has spotty voice and 3G coverage. This modem seems a lot more willing to switch to 1X mode (which is a bit more reliable here) when data coverage is unreliable as opposed to trying to make 3G work and timing out or retrying out.

It also seems that GPS is working a little better, getting locks faster.

holster27

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
my 2 cents, upped mine to ed04 and have had great success with it, no gps problems, no 3g outtages, etc. ED04 was verizon's fix to ed03 or 1, can't remember, with all the 3g to 1x issues.

Take it for what its worth.

atomD21

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Just did the modem workaround to get to ED04, and yeah, so far it's better. Think I'll stay there for a bit and then give EC09 a shot.

bgbird

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Turning on the actual dbm in status bar settings seems that ED04 is just a little better than the EC09 flavor. Haven't really looked at 3G upload/download speeds. I'm running ComRom 2.1.

swenpro

May 10, 2011
Visit site
I also just installed EC09 to compare to ED04. Don't know what to make of it yet.

What do you all use to test 3g upload/download speeds?

dwitherell

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I also just installed EC09 to compare to ED04. Don't know what to make of it yet.

What do you all use to test 3g upload/download speeds?

I use the speedtest.net app

I use the same to test down/upload speeds. I am running ComRom 2.1 PBJ -50 and went from ED03 to EC09 - I was quite happy with the increase in down/upload speed as well as the boost in signal, but a day or so later I started getting odd (and seemingly random) forced reboots along with odd market behavior (it would say it was updating an app, but it seemed like it was stuck in some sort of loop - on top of that, if you clicked on it under My apps in the market it linked to some other unrelated app). This very well could have been nothing more than a coincidence, but I took it as an excuse to try out ED04. Too early to say much about it, but so far things seem relatively comparable (the edge seems to go to EC09 though, at least so far - I may have to try that one out again).

craigcls

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
I have tried several modems over the course of different ROMs. I never had any GPS issues, unlike a lot of folks, until I went to the EDxx modems. I am currently using the EC09 with UKB 2.1, which isn't too bad, but the best modem I've experienced, especially with the GPS, was Adrynalyne's EC01.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non