Help understanding this phone

tsargent347

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
ok, im wanting to rom this phone tonight but im nervous to simply because i dont understand where everyone is coming up with all these letter number combos. Like ec09 or ED04. Im currently on ED04 and 2.2.1 and i have flashed this kernel 0531_fascinate_sv_nonvoodoo. I want to rom and yes i have romed a phone before and ive read through forums and still am not catching on. I currently using a Droid X as my everyday phone and if i like this phone on a sweet rom ill swtich over to it. Do i need to be on a certain android update example froyo or gingerbread to load certain roms, and how do i get on the build that everyone else is on cause im currently on ED04 and i dont see anyone using it, everyones is different. Help please and thanks if u can!

tsargent347

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
i was told to flash that kernel to keep clockwork..mine started out as blue, then i did the odin and it was red, thn flashed this kernel and it is now a yellow color..if that helps

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Yes, your clockwork will be yellow with that kernel, so you are fine. You should check out this thread to understand the basics of rooting the Fascinate:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...irst-time-rooting-walk-through-4-28-11-a.html

Then you may want to read this helpful guide to understand even more about rooting the Fascinate:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...-please-read-post-1-before-posting-forum.html

Then after reading those you should have a better understanding and be ready to put a custom ROM on your phone. You already know how to use clockwork since you flashed the 05/31 voodoo kernel. So you can look at flashing Comm ROM onto your fascinate. It is the newest and probably most stable custom touchwiz ROM available for the Fascinate:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...-comm-rom-2-1-ukb-tsm-updated-06-20-11-a.html

The numbering on the builds lets you know when the build was released or at least when it last passed a certain testing stage at either verizon or samsung. The first letter is the year with A = 2008, B = 2009 and so on. The second letter is the month of the year with A being January. Then the numbers are the day of the month. So ED04 was released or approved April 4, 2011.

Hope some of this helps

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: tsargent347

tsargent347

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Thanks man..ok so with voodoo kernel its a big no no to flash a nonvoodoo over a voodoo kernel, and if i want a nonvoodoo kernel and currently using a voodoo kernel i need to disable the voodoo stuff correct? just making sure im looking into a voodoo kernel to load up tomorrow when i get home from work..thank u so much for ur help!

tsargent347

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
also how do i know what clockwork i have? im looking at the instructions on flashing this rom and it says 3.0 is perferred but can use 2.5 but its laggy or whatever..

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks man..ok so with voodoo kernel its a big no no to flash a nonvoodoo over a voodoo kernel, and if i want a nonvoodoo kernel and currently using a voodoo kernel i need to disable the voodoo stuff correct? just making sure im looking into a voodoo kernel to load up tomorrow when i get home from work..thank u so much for ur help!

Yes, whenever you plan on switching from voodoo to nonvoodoo you need to boot to recovery (CWM) and disable lag fix, reboot the phone to let the conversion happen, then flash to non vooodoo.

also how do i know what clockwork i have? im looking at the instructions on flashing this rom and it says 3.0 is perferred but can use 2.5 but its laggy or whatever..

when you boot to recovery, look at the top of the screen. the version number will be listed there.

tsargent347

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
My clockwork wont allow me to for backups..I did two when I odend the red clockwork one with the kernel and one without the kernel..and the yellow clockwork won't let me do a nandroid backup

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
My clockwork wont allow me to for backups..I did two when I odend the red clockwork one with the kernel and one without the kernel..and the yellow clockwork won't let me do a nandroid backup

That's been a problem for a while with clockwork on the Fascinate unfortunately.

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
which version of Comm Rom would u recommend? one with 1.5 voodoo kernel or the -50 pbj kernel

For now I would recommend the one with the pbj kernel. The other one requires you to use the voltage control app to undervolt your phone, and that takes quite a bit of trial and error to find the right settings for your phone. The PBJ kernel is undervolted -50mv across the board and is a pretty good undervolting level for most phones. This way you will get improved battery life and not have to tinker with a lot of settings. You can read up on the OTB kernel and once you have an understanding of how to use voltage control to optimize the settings on your phone, then you can just flash that kernel in CWM and play around with it.

tsargent347

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Yes, your clockwork will be yellow with that kernel, so you are fine. You should check out this thread to understand the basics of rooting the Fascinate:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...irst-time-rooting-walk-through-4-28-11-a.html

Then you may want to read this helpful guide to understand even more about rooting the Fascinate:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...-please-read-post-1-before-posting-forum.html

Then after reading those you should have a better understanding and be ready to put a custom ROM on your phone. You already know how to use clockwork since you flashed the 05/31 voodoo kernel. So you can look at flashing Comm ROM onto your fascinate. It is the newest and probably most stable custom touchwiz ROM available for the Fascinate:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...-comm-rom-2-1-ukb-tsm-updated-06-20-11-a.html

The numbering on the builds lets you know when the build was released or at least when it last passed a certain testing stage at either verizon or samsung. The first letter is the year with A = 2008, B = 2009 and so on. The second letter is the month of the year with A being January. Then the numbers are the day of the month. So ED04 was released or approved April 4, 2011.

Hope some of this helps

I see in this post u said i flashed a voodoo kernel correct?

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I see in this post u said i flashed a voodoo kernel correct?

Oops, my bad. I reread your first post and it says you flashed the 05/31 nonvoodoo kernel. I read it too fast the first time and missed the non part. Flashing the PBJ version of Comm ROM through CWM should automatically convert your system to voodoo since it includes a voodoo kernel.

tsargent347

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
im looking at the comm rom u suggested me and im courious do i need to flash all this:?
Patches:
(flash in cwr)

gb themed and inverted miuimusic and compatible car cradle (wont delete samsung music): miuimusic_patch.zip *6.8.11

samsung screen capture service: Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!

non accurate battery version (no batt %) (flash after rom!): Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!

***updated***tw clock package, my files, and info alarm (deletes aosp deskclock as well): Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites! *6.6.11

aosp music and compatible carcradle (wont work with sgs2 lockscreen!): Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!

rotating dialer and phone.apk (phone only works in car dock): Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!
just courious or does this rom come with all this stuff loaded on it?

tsargent347

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
also....is it deoxed so i can theme the rom? i want to theme it with that steel blue them cause that theme is sick nasty from the pictures ive seen..as always thak you for your help

tsargent347

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
I think deoxed is what im looking for..im not looking to HEAVY theme it but i like the way the steel blue theme in the comm rom thread looked, is there any other themes that are as nice as it?

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
The ROM is deodexed. All custom ROMs are. The steel blue theme was my favorite too. As far as the patches go, you just have to look at what each one is and decide if you want it. The patches are basically just extras you can flash on top of the ROM.

tsargent347

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
ok thank you..im sorry but how do i get the red clockwork to stay? ive watched a couple of videos of people loading roms and they all have red clockwork..lol i think im the only person that has the dang yellow clockwork and i dont want to flash till i know its safe..i have everything but the 2.1 patch downloaded and ready to go!! excitied but nervous

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
ok thank you..im sorry but how do i get the red clockwork to stay? ive watched a couple of videos of people loading roms and they all have red clockwork..lol i think im the only person that has the dang yellow clockwork and i dont want to flash till i know its safe..i have everything but the 2.1 patch downloaded and ready to go!! excitied but nervous

The yellow clockwork is the same thing only from a different developer. That is the clockwork that gets flashed to your phone when you flash one of imnuts' kernels. If you feel more comfortable with the red you can flash this in ODIN and now that you have a custom kernel, it will stick:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/36791/CWM3_Voodoo.tar.md5

tsargent347

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
ok got both the rom and the patch downloaded on my laptop...now i flash into clockwork..flash the rom containing the kernel..and while still in clockwork flash the patch at the same time or let the phone boot then go back into clockwork and flash the patch?