Tasker bricked my phone. Help??

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I was changing some of the settings in Tasker and then pressed the "test" button and the screen went off. I've been able to get it back on once since then. Battery pulled several times. I get the splash screens and then it goes dark. I can get the buttons at the bottom to light but nothing on the screen. Talked to Verizon and they had no ideas other than a wipe or maybe bring it into the store and maybe get a new phone. Ideas????

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Ended up doing the hard reset and still no go. So now I have to get a new phone. Wow is that frustrating.... Thankfully I was able to reactivate my blackberry in the mean time.

Chris3D

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
I did the same thing using Extended Widgets custom brightness control trying to dim the screen further than the stock dimmest setting. I managed to get the screen back using Clockwork recovery. At the time, my SD card wasn't working, so I couldn't do a restore, but reflashing Clockwork with Odin fixed it. I've since did it again (on purpose) and can confirm a Clockwork restore fixes it.

If you're comfortable with a little hacking, head over to the hack/rom subforum. I can't guarantee it, but the fix could be as simple as flashing Clockwork Recovery. Don't even need to root, and you could flash the stock recovery back right afterwards.

NOsquid

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Yeah non-stock brightness controls are dangerous on this phone. Quick Profiles and Beautiful Widgets work ok for me.

Extended Controls screwed me too.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Is setting the brightness to zero considered extended brightness? I'd had Locale setting it to zero, but when I hit the test button on Tasker to do this is when all of the badness started.

I think the worst part of all this is that I'm going to have to start over with Angry Birds from the beginning... :eek: And and redoing my password program and note program. Maybe I'll pay for the real version of the password program so it'll be backed up off the phone.

Chris3D

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Is setting the brightness to zero considered extended brightness? I'd had Locale setting it to zero, but when I hit the test button on Tasker to do this is when all of the badness started.

That's the way it was with Extended Controls - I dragged the slider around and all was fine, as soon as I applied it, black.

I think the worst part of all this is that I'm going to have to start over with Angry Birds from the beginning... :eek:

If flashing Clockwork recovery worked, you wouldn't have to loose anything. Flashing the recovery doesn't touch the system in any way. You could flash clockwork, reboot into a (hopefully) fully working screen, shutdown and then flash the stock recovery back, leaving no trace at all. Worth a shot.