GNex + Seidio 3800 Battery + Extended 3800 Surface Combo + PICS!

Mthr1

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Hello again, folks!

I wanted to share some assessment thoughts and pictures of Seidio's new 3800mah Extended Battery, Seidio's Extended Surface Case for the 3800 battery, and it's mating Surface Holster.

I was originally on the fence about what this monster Seidio battery would do to the sexy look of the GNex profile. After having the battery and door in hand, I remain on the fence. Without the compatible Surface case, I absolutely hate the look of the black battery door against the grey chassis of the GNex. The added bulk also detracts from what sleek and sexy profile the GNex has in it's thin state.

Take a look at some of the pictures that I have taken and you can be the judge.

Nex3800-1.jpg

Left to Right: GNex with 3800 battery and Surface Case, GNex with 2100 battery/door and Otterbox Commuter, and GNex (stock) with Seidio Surface Case.

Nex3800-9.jpg

Left to Right: GNex (Otterbox Commuter), GNex (Seidio 3800 Surface), GNex (Seidio Surface)

Nex3800-2.jpg

Top to Bottom: Seidio Surface, Otterbox Commuter, Seidio 3800 Surface

Nex3800-3.jpg

Same as above, different angle.

Nex3800-4.jpg

Same order, side angle.

Okay, that's enough with the other GNex siblings, the pictures below are shots of the GNex with Seidio 3800 Extended Surface case only...

Nex3800-5.jpg

Nex3800-6.jpg

Nex3800-7.jpg

Nex3800-8.jpg

The following pictures are with the GNex with the Seidio 3800mah Extended Battery and it's door. No case. I don't like the look of it without the case. The transition between the Seidio battery door and the GNex is terrible. In the Seidio Surface case, it's tolerable.

Nex3800-10.jpg

Nex3800-11.jpg

Nex3800-12.jpg

Nex3800-25.jpg

Okay, the next couple of pictures are showing what the case looks like, unassembled.

Nex3800-14.jpg

Felt liner in the bottom half of the case. No felt in the front bezel half, although it does not interfere, nor scratch any part of the phone case.

Nex3800-15.jpg

Below, the un-cased GNex with 3800 is compared against the stock GNex with Surface case.

Nex3800-16.jpg

Front comparison shots.

Nex3800-17.jpg

Left to Right: GNex 3800 with case, Stock GNex with Surface case, and Otterbox Commuter w/2100 batt/door.

Nex3800-18.jpg

Left to Right. GNex Stock w/Surface, GNex Otterbox w/2100, and GNex 3800 Surface. See the battery meter (maybe too small to make out, sorry)? The 3800 proves to be very impressive! After nearly 10 hours (4G, Wifi, BT, NFC, GPS, and max screen brightness), it is at 83%. Impressive. It's worth noting that the battery has only gone through one charge cycle, as recommended by Seidio. I imagine that after 3-4 more of charging cycles, the battery capacity should be even better.

These final pictures will show the GNex, in Seidio's 3800 Extended Surface Case (with battery and door packed inside, of course) holstered in Seidio's standard Surface holster. The 3800 Extended Surface case is designed to fit the same standard Surface holster that accommodates the original standard Surface case.

Nex3800-19.jpg

Nex3800-20.jpg

Nex3800-21.jpg

Nex3800-22.jpg

Nex3800-23.jpg

Nex3800-24.jpg

A final side by side comparison of a holstered GNex w/3800 Surface Case and the Otterbox Commuter holstered in the Seidio Active Holster.

As much as I really have used and like Seidio's past extended life batteries in my Blackberries, I am really having a hard time with sacrificing the sleek look of the GNex and possible future use of NFC. Granted, I can also keep a Samsung battery with me, accessible just in case I need to use NFC, but who wants to be bothered swapping out batteries on the spur of the moment? Granted, after installing the 3800 battery, it's door, and finally into the Surface case, it's not as dreadfully thick as I imagined it would be. In it's case, it's almost visually acceptable enough to convince me to order the 3800 battery for myself. I have used the GNex with the extended battery on 4G for the better part of this evening and it was packing plenty of juice after some hours of abuse. On the other hand, my own personal GNex, with 2100 battery was struggling to make it through the day.

Special thanks goes to my friend, Maurice, for allowing me to borrow his phone to compile this assessment and pictures. He is pretty jacked about not having to charge his phone mid-day anymore. He doesn't even balk at the added bulky look. I can't say I am at that point just yet, but the more he brags about how much battery power he has in upcoming days/weeks, I may crumble.

For the meantime, I'm going to stick with my Otterbox and 2100 battery and ride the fence for a while longer and see how I feel in a few weeks. The idea that I would have this surplus of cases, holsters, and batteries doesn't help convince me to get the 3800 battery and case any sooner.

Folks, I hope this thread and my efforts have helped in deciding what is best for you. Like my previous assessment threads, feel free to ask any questions and request any additional data and/or pics.

It's late now, but this weekend, I will take calipered measurements of the 3800 case and update the thread to show the data. UPDATE: I decided to take them now.

2.422" across the battery hump.
.747" at the thickest part (near bottom) from front of phone to back of battery hump.
.267" thickness of just the hump.

Good night. =)

Paul.

Check out my other threads if you need more pictures of either the Seidio Commuter Case or the stock Seidio Surface Case and holster combinations.

Reactions: Jasper

yosteve

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
If they would have put the speaker on the front out bottom the extended battery bump would have been able to be symmetric.

Mthr1

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Re: GNex + Seidio 3800 Battery + Extended 3800 Surface Combo + PI

If they would have put the speaker on the front out bottom the extended battery bump would have been able to be symmetric.

Well, from an engineering standpoint, I wish they would have placed the camera module more towards the top of the phone and across, similar to the Razr and Razr Maxx. This would have allowed them to free up more space to enlargen the height and width of the battery chamber to accommodate a flatter extended battery.

I like the foresight that Moto had with the Razr, with their obvious expectations that they were going to fit in a more functional extended battery without having to scrafice the visual appeal of the phone.

thebignewt

May 11, 2010
Visit site

Steve Jobs would turn over in his grave if anyone did something like that to the iPhone or iPad. :-\

Bluelens

Dec 9, 2010
www.jmhoover.com

There are, and have been, ugly extended battery cases for the iPhone that are out there. I had one that made the phone fatter and longer (giggidy) and ruined the aesthetic of the phone, but significantly increased the life in between charges.

Mthr1

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site

Steve Jobs would turn over in his grave if anyone did something like that to the iPhone or iPad. :-\

That's why he made it a point not to allow end-user changeable batteries, as the same with Moto!

slopokdave

May 31, 2010
Visit site

I felt exactly the same. I ordered the surface extended case as soon as I received the battery. Ugly without the case. Now its perfect.

Droid Brick

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site

This makes that extended battery look much more appealing to the eye. I'm about to get my GNex within a month so I've been checking out some additional batteries. I ordered the extended OEM battery but may take a second look at this battery and case. Isn't this battery missing the NFC feature? Anyone using NFC enough to miss it if it were gone?

yosteve

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
They also could have just embraced the bulky battery and made it the exact rectangle of the battery (maybe centered it) and it would have modern clean lines.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site

My fiance and her dad both have this

Makes the iPhone bulky and large... and really enhances the point that the screen is microscopic.

Mthr1

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site

This makes that extended battery look much more appealing to the eye. I'm about to get my GNex within a month so I've been checking out some additional batteries. I ordered the extended OEM battery but may take a second look at this battery and case. Isn't this battery missing the NFC feature? Anyone using NFC enough to miss it if it were gone?

Yes, none of the Seidio extended batteries will feature NFC support. Will NFC become a relevant player in the near future. It's quite possible. I think there's still a ways to go before the encrypted security measures of the technology is considered iron clad.

Android Beaming is quite handy for compatible devices, but I'll wait a bit longer before I trade in the conventional wallet.

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site

Has your screen on time increased dramatically with this battery?

On Amazon, the reviews have been less than stellar. One user is reporting getting only 4 hours max.

droidowner

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site

A final side by side comparison of a holstered GNex w/3800 Surface Case and the Otterbox Commuter holstered in the Seidio Active Holster.

Paul, I noticed you had tested both the Seidio Surface and Active holsters with the Otterbox Commuter. I was wondering if you could tell me which one fit better. I'm worried that if the Active holster is a little to big, the phone in the Otterbox Commuter case will rattle around in the holster.

Thanks for the great reviews! The photos are awesome!

Mthr1

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site

Paul, I noticed you had tested both the Seidio Surface and Active holsters with the Otterbox Commuter. I was wondering if you could tell me which one fit better. I'm worried that if the Active holster is a little to big, the phone in the Otterbox Commuter case will rattle around in the holster.

Thanks for the great reviews! The photos are awesome!

The Seidio Active holster fits the GNex/Otterbox Commuter perfectly. Although, the Surface holster will fit as well, the GNex/Commuter pushes up on the spring clip more. All things being equal, there is no reason why you would not choose the Seidio Active holster in this scenerio.

Also, the combination also accommodates the Samsung 2100mah battery, with or without the battery door just fine.

Please review my other thread regarding the Active/Otterbox Commuter and Surface combinations.

Also, thanks for the kind words. :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty