WHAT is a KANG ROM?

jonathonflores6958

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Plan on flashing my first ROM today. But I'm undecided between Codename Android 1.2.0 & AOKP (android open kang project). I see Kang everywhere but cant seem to find what exactly it is.

Also, out of the two ROMS I'm wanting to flash, what would you suggest?

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
This is the definition you would look for in Wikipedia
Kang - A term used for stealing others intellectual property and claiming it as your own. (ie. When a developer uses another developer's work, and then publishes the end product as their own.)

Like building a cyanogen rom from source and making small edits and redistributing it. Not exactly as bad as it sounds like the definition suggests... sometimes, it it.

jonathonflores6958

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
One other question. Can I download the ROM using my Galaxy Nexus or Do I download it on my computer, hook up my nexus, and place it on the SD card that way??

Newb here and just trying to get a better understanding. dont want to mess things up.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
If you have a custom recovery for your phone, you can just download it directly to the device, boot into recovery and install it that way. ROM will be in the Downloads folder.

jonathonflores6958

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
I saw that and I was going to do it that way but I read the tutorial here on the site and it says to learn how to do it the manual way so I'm doing that and plus it said sometimes ROM manager sometimes has problems when flashing. If I hook up the nexus to the mac and place it on the sd card, will it still show up in ROM manager's downloaded ROMs?

Thanks for the help guys.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I saw that and I was going to do it that way but I read the tutorial here on the site and it says to learn how to do it the manual way so I'm doing that and plus it said sometimes ROM manager sometimes has problems when flashing. If I hook up the nexus to the mac and place it on the sd card, will it still show up in ROM manager's downloaded ROMs?

Thanks for the help guys.

You can still just download it directly. If you transfer it from your mac, its the same exact thing. I haven't used the paid ROM Manager, but you can boot into recovery to do the manual way either way. As long as you don't unzip it, it shouldn't be a problem.

jonathonflores6958

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
So I flashed my first ROM :D (Thanks guys) and I have one more question

I couldnt put the files on the root of the SD card from my mac (using android file transfer) so i put it in a folder and everything seems to be fine. Is there a reason why ROMS are put on the root of the SD card or is it just easier to find that way?

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Well that kang definition from Andrew is correct but in the case of AOKP it also refers to Team Kang - they're a team of devs that put together AOKP rom.

As for your latest question, the rom can be anywhere on the sd card, but putting it on the root folder is the easiest/fastest place to find it usually, so that's correct.

Reactions: Alma

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995