Newbie to the rooting world - Using a Mac

RobUM2011

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
I'm sure I'm going to get yelled at because all of this information is stickied (I think). But I'm trying to root for the first time so I can enjoy Jelly Bean. Before I start, I was hoping one of the more experienced rooters can point me in the direction of the most updated, simplest, step-by-step for a Mac user. As far as I can tell that Nexus toolkit seems to be PC only.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure I'm going to get yelled at because all of this information is stickied (I think). But I'm trying to root for the first time so I can enjoy Jelly Bean. Before I start, I was hoping one of the more experienced rooters can point me in the direction of the most updated, simplest, step-by-step for a Mac user. As far as I can tell that Nexus toolkit seems to be PC only.

The one with my name it, or look around for the Mac Method. (a sticky)

Reactions: RobUM2011

Jdane07

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
If I could do it, anyone can!
Plus Dmmarck is the man and will be happy to help with any problems.

Overall it's a fairly easy process. Just hit one minor speed bump.

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately, the mac rooting thread got unstickied when the chatter thread moved up. It should be just a ways down in this section.

Typed with my thumbs using Tapatalk2 (;))

Reactions: zero neck

RobUM2011

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
I keep convincing myself that I'm finally going to do this.. then I open up the tutorial and chicken out again. Gonna do this eventually :-\

RobUM2011

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
To be honest, the rooting process itself doesn't look intimidating. It's the threads that talk about flashing JB that worry me... especially where it gets into TWRPs, DALVIKs, and NANDROIDs

But I've got nothing better to do this weekend so maybe I'll spend Sunday figuring it out.

Jdane07

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
To be honest, the rooting process itself doesn't look intimidating. It's the threads that talk about flashing JB that worry me... especially where it gets into TWRPs, DALVIKs, and NANDROIDs

But I've got nothing better to do this weekend so maybe I'll spend Sunday figuring it out.

The only thing I understood there was "nandroid", and I'm running JB fine!

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

Lol...

TWRP - Team Win Recovery Project - It's another custom recovery you can use, just like we use CWM Recovery. It has the same options like Wiping your system, factory reset, flashing .zip files, etc... plus a few more nifty ones that I like and an interface that I prefer over CWM. You can find more info, screenshots, and download it from here: TeamWin Projects - TWRP 2.2 | TeamWin

Dalvik - Your dalvik cache is used by the Java VM (virtual machine) and really.. that's all you need to know about it, lol. It stores temporary program info, as the normal cache does. When you flash a ROM you (should) do a Wipe data/factory reset in recovery, which wipes those caches anyway. When you flash something like a theme or kernel or other modification, you'll often be told you only need to wipe the caches, meaning both the cache and the dalvik cache.

Nandroid - a backup of your entire phone. Essentially an image of your phone in its current state, which you can use to restore to its present state if you flash a ROM after making it and decide you don't like the ROM, or some idea with themes or any edits or changes you make to your system. When you are in Recovery and select "Make a backup", you are making a nandroid. Make one before you flash any ROM or theme you might possible want to get back from, or before you make any system edits you are unsure of. They can be hefty files, exceeding 1 gig each, on your sd card, in the /clockworkmod folder if you use CWM or /twrp folder if you use TWRP, so you can make space whenever you want by deleting older ones you feel you no longer need or moving them to your computer over usb for safekeeping.

Those are all my words.. someone else can probably expand or explain better. Also definitely check out the Android Central Dictionary for information on confusing terms. Lastly, when something seems complicated, it usually isn't, just take your time to read it and understand a few times. Sometimes you have to view this stuff like studying for your biology final.. you can't just cram it in one sitting and expect to do well, just learn what you can and read it again later, over time it will stick more and more :)

tonyfu

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
I was in your shoes about a month ago. Now I'm flashing ROMs like there's no tomorrow! It's easy when you have the right guidance. I found some vids online that take you from step A through Z in a very newbie friendly way.

I also learned how to unroot and relock my GNex in case I ever got into some trouble.

Here are the links.

How to Root Galaxy Nexus! [Universal Guide][GSM/Verizon/Sprint][Windows/Linux/Mac]

How to Install ROM on Rooted Galaxy Nexus!

How to: Unroot the Galaxy Nexus, Re-lock the Bootloader and Return to a Factory State (You make have to tweak these instructions a little based on what you learn from the first vid, since you're using a Mac - but I think you'll get it.)

And here's a ROM I've found to be one of the most stable out there.

Bugless Beast 4.1.X Jelly Bean

Good luck and feel free to reach out if you have any problems or questions.

Reactions: RobUM2011

seanxdoom

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
i also am new to rooting and have no clue where to even begin. i downloaded the ace hack kit and whenever i try to open anything for some reason it doesnt work? i am rooting from a mac also... help? :mad:

Wheels309

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Dmmarck's Mac method thread does a great job explaining the process. It can change slightly depending on where your files are located but a little tinkering with the terminal commands and you are good to go. Entire process took me about 45 minutes the first time through because I got stuck on updating super user. 2nd time through took less then 20 minutes. Be warned though these guys will make you want to flash Roms like crazy