Samsung Stratosphere 4G

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I can buy the idea that the case image was just a placeholder, but why was this particular online retailer privy to this information? Or did they just make an educated guess based on Samsung's trademark filings?

Hmmmmm ...

It could have also been a ploy to drive a lot of traffic to their site. Which obviously worked like a charm if true.

We all like a good mystery ;)

Sent from my Droid

MarkAllan

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Reading a little bit too much into this, don't you think? Lol. Right now the codename is 'Function', we know that. Now, it's been said that Verizon's GSII could bear the name 'Fascinate II' and it further confirms that with a slip up Verizon made on Twitter naming the GSII the Fascinate II. Also, I'm willing to bet the the Stratosphere wont be a retail name period. Its probably just a codename for that slider.

Sent from my ThunderBolt

Who knows at this point. It's a pretty big coincidence though with the space balloon thing though.:D I kinda like the name, if it's the S2. Samsung Galaxy S 2 is clumsy sounding, and Function just sounds so...blah.

MasterGiraffe

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Plus the telescopes that bloggers have been getting in galaxy s2 boxes. You guys may be onto something here. I sure hope so anyway.

I feel like this is kinda a case of pulling information together that doesn't necessarily belong together. I do like the name and I think the name Function is kinda old news now and might be outdated, but I don't see as much of a connection between the balloon launch and the telescope. In my opinion I would use a telescope to look at the stars and the galaxy and not the stratosphere. It would be a bit hard to look at the stratosphere, given what it is made out of, with a telescope and much easier to look through the stratosphere at the galaxy.

To me it makes a bit more sense for this to be something like the "cheaper" version of the SGSII that people have been talking about. It is possible that they plan to bring that device to the U.S. also to give Samsung a competitive edge in the lower price range. The name would make sense also considering the stratosphere is kind of a "lower" version of the galaxy.

All pure speculation of course :p

chuckz28

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I feel like this is kinda a case of pulling information together that doesn't necessarily belong together. I do like the name and I think the name Function is kinda old news now and might be outdated, but I don't see as much of a connection between the balloon launch and the telescope. In my opinion I would use a telescope to look at the stars and the galaxy and not the stratosphere. It would be a bit hard to look at the stratosphere, given what it is made out of, with a telescope and much easier to look through the stratosphere at the galaxy.

To me it makes a bit more sense for this to be something like the "cheaper" version of the SGSII that people have been talking about. It is possible that they plan to bring that device to the U.S. also to give Samsung a competitive edge in the lower price range. The name would make sense also considering the stratosphere is kind of a "lower" version of the galaxy.

All pure speculation of course :p
I'm just throwing ideas out there and so far it is the only thing that makes any sense whatsoever regarding the sending of telescopes. I think you are getting too scientific about a riddle. Who knows.

MasterGiraffe

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
This was just dropped on Droid-life. It sounds like the phone is confirmed and coming to Verizon shortly. It is also confirmed that it will be 4G. Please god let it be the SGSII and not the slider.

yankdez

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I would most definitely buy it if it had dual cores, 4g, 4" superamoled+, 1600mah battery, 1gb ram, unlocked bootloader, 8mp rear camera, and cooked me dinner

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to go against everything I believe in and predict its the GS2. Sammy has aleady begun to send out the telescopes with the Galaxy S 2 labeling on the package and now this shows up. Yes I hear all the things that say no way it wont. I really do. All VERY logical arguements. Heck I would make the same arguement. But why the campaign? Why the rumors of vzw getting it first, and why the CEO announcing it would release in the US this month? These are all rhetorical questions but the fact remains this latest bit of info aligns with the rumors and known info. Its VERY possible Verizon's GS2 version just may be a slider or perhaps its not and this release just snuck in under everyone's radar. If true this would be a first for an Android device.

So again, I'm going against everything I believe in and am going with this is the GS2 be it the slider version or a regular candy bar.

Sent from my Droid

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to go against everything I believe in and predict its the GS2. Sammy has aleady begun to send out the telescopes with the Galaxy S 2 labeling on the package and now this shows up. Yes I hear all the things that say no way it wont. I really do. All VERY logical arguements. Heck I would make the same arguement. But why the campaign? Why the rumors of vzw getting it first, and why the CEO announcing it would release in the US this month? These are all rhetorical questions but the fact remains this latest bit of info aligns with the rumors and known info. Its VERY possible Verizon's GS2 version just may be a slider or perhaps its not and this release just snuck in under everyone's radar. If true this would be a first for an Android device.

So again, I'm going against everything I believe in and am going with this is the GS2 be it the slider version or a regular candy bar.

Sent from my Droid

I don't think it's likely that any Samsung Galaxy device will be a slider. That was based on conjecture/phone leak that has already been debunked. Samsung has a slider in the works for VZW, but it's not the GS2.

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I don't think it's likely that any Samsung Galaxy device will be a slider. That was based on conjecture/phone leak that has already been debunked. Samsung has a slider in the works for VZW, but it's not the GS2.

I dont think so neither but ive seen some strange crap in my day :)

Sent from my Droid

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
I mean, Stratosphere REALLY makes sense for a Galaxy S II, right?! The telescopes, the August timeframe...come on! I really don't want this to be that hideous slider. If it's that leaked At&t slider, then cool, but not that terrible looking thing that leaked last month.

As I said yesterday, I'm expecting to find out everything (officially or unofficially) by the end of next week.

MasterGiraffe

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Somewhat off topic, but related, I am kinda fed up with phone manufacturing companies in general. What ever happened to being upfront and honest with your customers? I am all for the rumor mill and keeping things super secret while you are in production, but I really dislike this practice of keep things super secret right up until they all of a sudden announce: "Hey you know that new phone that you have been waiting for for 8 months?? It launches in 15 seconds!"

I don't understand how it hurts a cell phone company to disclose key information to its buyers once the phone is already finalized. Instead of the whole "sometime in August" release why not something a bit less vague. Why can't they tell us if it will be 4G? Release pictures? All of these things would do a better job IMHO of building hype for a phone and wouldn't hurt them one bit. It would also keep people loyal to their company and insure buyers who are looking more down the line. If they released all of the information on the SGSII two-three weeks ago then people would be locked into buying it instead of getting frustrated and just looking further down the road.

The way these companies act these days it makes me think of those awful girls you remember from high school who would just lead guys on for the fun of it. Its just sad really, they don't seem to have very much respect for sanity of those actually purchasing their device :p