Ways the Nexus Prime is like the iPhone

bobert

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
(Don't get mad. It's not what you think)
The closer it gets to launch time, the more I realize how similar the two phones behave. The patterns are very similar. I have boiled them down into a list below.
1. Hype. Just look at the forums or anywhere on the internet. Everyone wants this thing. Everyone wants an iPhone 5. Everyone wants a Nexus Prime. The rumors for the next iteration start before the upcoming device is even out. Who's heard iPhone 6 or Android Jelly Bean rumors?

2. No matter what this thing is, I'm going to get one. Sure, this one is a bit different. With an iPhone you only have one choice. People are set on buying it even though they have know idea what it will be like. Even though it is a much smaller audience composed almost entirely of nerds they want factor is still there. I am set on buying it (assuming it is on AT&T) and I haven't the slightest idea what it will look like. Nexus branding is enough for me.

3. Purity. No bloatware. Period. Nothing extra. Just the pure experience Google/Apple intended.

4. Relatively predictable releases. Apple has its annual cycle. Google gives us rough dates and leaks.

5. I can't wait anymore. After the event(s) it will all be over. We will have our devices in hand. The cycle will start again. Ice Cream Sandwich / iOS5 will be awesome. I can't wait for the live stream on October 11th.

th0r615

god of thunder.
Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
There is almost zero real-world hype surrounding the Nexus Prime compared to the iPhone 5.

Ask just about anyone about the iPhone 5 and they will tell you they have heard about it (my parents, who are in their mid-50's are a perfect example)

Ask just about anyone about the Nexus Prime and they will look at you funny and say something about Transformers.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
There is almost zero real-world hype surrounding the Nexus Prime compared to the iPhone 5.

Ask just about anyone about the iPhone 5 and they will tell you they have heard about it (my parents, who are in their mid-50's are a perfect example)

Ask just about anyone about the Nexus Prime and they will look at you funny and say something about Transformers.

This I agree upon. Only those that are really into phones right now are even aware that this is coming. Everyone knows the icrap 5 is coming. I am sure that if you got into a nexus conversation with someone at VZW they can let you know but that is about it.

That is why Google gave VZW the exclusive window. They are going to hype this puppy up to iPhone standards and by next year, there will be a ton of common people who will be looking forward to The Prime 2. This launch and the holiday season will take Nexus to a whole new level

jlee91780

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
This post is such a geek thing. Reading it made me realize what a geek I am too because I've been the only one among my colleagues and friends who knows anything about the Droid Prime. As a general consumer, I like everyone else am ecstatic about Iphone announcement on Tuesday. As a geek, I've been awaiting to see how Samsung or whomever counters with the Prime. But who is anybody kidding? Nobody could care less about the Prime especially compared to the Iphone where they have studies that show that half of Americans are gonna buy it regardless of the specs as long as it has the apple logo and 5 somewhere. Some forecasts show that it will double Apple's market share, blowing out Android phones.

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
I dropped the name Nexus Prime to some of my co-workers whom I consider semi-geeks. They all have android phones or iphones and not a single one had a clue what Nexus Prime meant. Only 1 even knew that Nexus was google branded.

We may be the only ones excited but it doesn't bother me. :cool:

borgey401

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
Bleh, you can't even compare a Nexus device to an Ip*one5. Let the majority of those sheep jump on the bandwagon and get that crappy device who cares. If you look at statistics Android sales in the last year absolutely BLOW Apples out of the water.

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
General public doesn't know cause its not been revealed yet. Give it time and let the marketing start. Everyone knows iphone cause it been around for a long time and most know one new one a year. I don't care if nobody knows about it. Less people I have to wait in line with on release day.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm excited about the Iphone 5 but, even more about the Nexus prime. I wasn't expected it to be announced for quite awhile and, was thinking about getting a Bionic. I'm now on hold, just waiting to see what these two products will be like.

The Nexus phones are truly geek phones. I've owned the Nexus One & S and, people who have seen it, had no clue what it was. I agree, the one advantage is, we most-likely won't have to worry about availability and, every one of us should be able to get one soon, when it's available.

I've never really cared about who had the biggest market share or Android vs. IOS, I just get what I like. However, I admit being a little more biased toward Android. I really can't wait until the Nexus phone is announced and, hope they don't wait too long to sell it.

Bearly

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Bleh, you can't even compare a Nexus device to an Ip*one5. Let the majority of those sheep jump on the bandwagon and get that crappy device who cares. If you look at statistics Android sales in the last year absolutely BLOW Apples out of the water.

To be fair, that says little about a device's quality and more about prevalence in the market (exposure).

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

jlee91780

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
To be really fair, an Iphone is a well built device, probably easily better built than most if not all Android phones, that integrates hardware and software, probably best suited for an average consumer, but not us geeks who need to tweek every last thing. The new iOS5 will seem to natively support most tweeks us geeks wanted on our Androids.

Also, studies show many many Androids getting returned by non-geeks not just because they don't know how to use them, but because majority of Androids are shoddily made devices with software not compatible with that hardware. Not trying to start a phone war here, but Bearly mentioned wanting to be fair....

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
Also, studies show many many Androids getting returned by non-geeks not just because they don't know how to use them, but because majority of Androids are shoddily made devices with software not compatible with that hardware. Not trying to start a phone war here, but Bearly mentioned wanting to be fair....

Worst attempt to be fair ever?

jlee91780

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
That was a true study I read on credible news site. Look, I don't like being a sheep neither and having to wait for the new Iphone specs neither, but many of these companies are really producing below average devices yet still charging prices as high as an Iphone if not higher. A study showed that customer satisfaction on the Android makers are all below industry average except for HTC and of course Apple number 1 customer satisfaction. Even Samsung with its famed SGS2 scored below average. Its really us geeks supporting these companies so they continue doing crappy work and we really should ask for more.

I was really set on getting the Bionic for VZ, but the specs and reviews on display and camera are really unacceptable. No matter what, I will wait 1 week after Iphone release day for any any solid news on Nexus Prime and hope its built by HTC.

MetalPhoenix79

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
You have a point. All Android phones suck, especially when compared to iPhones. Every single one has awful reviews from everyone. Studies show that geeks/nerds are the mass majority of the population. These geeks/nerds only like really crappy hardware. Studies also show that even though Android phones are the worst on the market their market share keeps growing due to these stupid geeks that don't know what good hardware is let alone what good software is. You are looking at the Bionic even though it is crap. Does that about sum it up?

Last edited:

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
That was a true study I read on credible news site.

It was an unsourced claim published by TechCrunch that's been dismissed as link bait. No one would be selling Android devices if there was a 30-40% return rate. It's complete nonsense.
No matter what, I will wait 1 week after Iphone release day for any any solid news on Nexus Prime and hope its built by HTC.

Do us a favor and please quit posting while you wait. The phone is being made by Samsung. That's an undisputed fact. There's absolutely a zero percent chance it's made by HTC.

Reactions: wyseguy77

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa