Different models after release?

Jdm4292

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
The galaxy nexus seems like an amazing phone with a large testing background. That being said, there are a lot of prototypes floating around which hopefully means they long decided on the final production unit. Does anyone have any insight to whether they will release a different model after a few months? For example I bought my thunderbolt from a friend who got it months after launch and supposedly it has a slightly different screen and is wider than the initial batch. Just wondering if they will do this with the nexus and what might be the reasons behind these changes.

Sent from my ADR6400L

EggoEspada

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Only if there's some sort or issue with the hardware that leads to them having to do so. It seems to be pretty common though. But really, might not be anything noticeable if it does happen.

Sent from my ADR6400L

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
The galaxy nexus seems like an amazing phone with a large testing background. That being said, there are a lot of prototypes floating around which hopefully means they long decided on the final production unit. Does anyone have any insight to whether they will release a different model after a few months? For example I bought my thunderbolt from a friend who got it months after launch and supposedly it has a slightly different screen and is wider than the initial batch. Just wondering if they will do this with the nexus and what might be the reasons behind these changes.

Sent from my ADR6400L
Highly unlikely. If they did use a proto., it won't be in the marketplace for awhile. Even then you're talking about a shell, not OS. The whole Nexus lineup of phones is geared towards developers, especially, in the case of the GNex. There lwill not be a 4th addition to the Nexus line for another year or so. During that time you will not see other versions of this phone. What you may see are units w/ diff. internals that are designed to optimize the users experience because of tech. a specific carriers network utilizes. Which is what Samsung/Google did w/ Verizons model. Even that is unlikely cuz it's not meant to be a widespread consumer product like other manufacturers produce.

It's safe to assume that once a device is announced @ an unpacking (GNex was on 10/18). They've selected which unit(s) will head into production. In the case of the GNex they sent two variants into production. No prototypes will be around, because they had to go back to the manufacturer once testing wrapped.

I'm not sure what you mean by prototypes floating around. When phones are in the early design stages. They sometimes have more than one outer casings, different shells, when they first go into open testing. Those just go back to R & D , once the final design is in place . An example of this was the original Bionic. When they first announced the project to devs. It had a different shell and we thought that was the final seaign. It then disappeared/got shelved for over 6+ months. When it re-emerged it didn't look anything like the one Verizon ended up with. It originally resembled the Moto Atrix 2, from what I recall. That upset alot of people cuz they thought the original was a better design.

As for your friends story about the Tbolt. I'm not certain about this but something about it really has a fishy smell to it. The T-bolt was based upon the Evo & HTC never sent out multiple designs for it during testing cuz it wasn't going to be a radically different design. Besides, 4.3" was being treated as the max. limit for screen size, at the time. Manufacturers weren't comfortable w/ going bigger then that. If screen size was larger in testing units & the screen on the final design was smaller. That kind of info., gives geeks a hard on, he would've been blabbing anonymously to some tech. site about it. It would've been reported. Fact is, I don't ever recall reading anything about that, so color me a skeptic.

Reactions: Premium1

Jdm4292

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Highly unlikely. If they did use a proto., it won't be in the marketplace for awhile. Even then you're talking about a shell, not OS. The whole Nexus lineup of phones is geared towards developers, especially, in the case of the GNex. There lwill not be a 4th addition to the Nexus line for another year or so. During that time you will not see other versions of this phone. What you may see are units w/ diff. internals that are designed to optimize the users experience because of tech. a specific carriers network utilizes. Which is what Samsung/Google did w/ Verizons model. Even that is unlikely cuz it's not meant to be a widespread consumer product like other manufacturers produce.

It's safe to assume that once a device is announced @ an unpacking (GNex was on 10/18). They've selected which unit(s) will head into production. In the case of the GNex they sent two variants into production. No prototypes will be around, because they had to go back to the manufacturer once testing wrapped.

I'm not sure what you mean by prototypes floating around. When phones are in the early design stages. They sometimes have more than one outer casings, different shells, when they first go into open testing. Those just go back to R & D , once the final design is in place . An example of this was the original Bionic. When they first announced the project to devs. It had a different shell and we thought that was the final seaign. It then disappeared/got shelved for over 6+ months. When it re-emerged it didn't look anything like the one Verizon ended up with. It originally resembled the Moto Atrix 2, from what I recall. That upset alot of people cuz they thought the original was a better design.

As for your friends story about the Tbolt. I'm not certain about this but something about it really has a fishy smell to it. The T-bolt was based upon the Evo & HTC never sent out multiple designs for it during testing cuz it wasn't going to be a radically different design. Besides, 4.3" was being treated as the max. limit for screen size, at the time. Manufacturers weren't comfortable w/ going bigger then that. If screen size was larger in testing units & the screen on the final design was smaller. That kind of info., gives geeks a hard on, he would've been blabbing anonymously to some tech. site about it. It would've been reported. Fact is, I don't ever recall reading anything about that, so color me a skeptic.

Nice answer, I appreciate you taking the time to respond. I remember him saying he was comparing his thunderbolt with ones at the store and the screen was more tinted and seemed narrowed. In response, others posted they had notiiced this too.. personally I've never compared but all the websites say my phone is 2.44 inches and mine is actually 2.67 inches.. Idk maybe they shipped the initial batch with different materials. I simply wanted to know if I should buy the nexus right away or wait a few weeks in case they change any features, but Ive decided to just buy it asap lol...

Sent from my ADR6400L

borgey401

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
Like was previously said unless there is some sort of issue with the initial hardware then there should not be two different versions of the phone. This is actually very common to have two different variants of the same device on the same carrier. It's always pretty much due to hardware though, so this is a tough question to answer at the moment. I am curious to why this would matter? Don't think I am trying to be a smartazz I am just honestly asking.

Jdm4292

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Like was previously said unless there is some sort of issue with the initial hardware then there should not be two different versions of the phone. This is actually very common to have two different variants of the same device on the same carrier. It's always pretty much due to hardware though, so this is a tough question to answer at the moment. I am curious to why this would matter? Don't think I am trying to be a smartazz I am just honestly asking.

Oh not at all.. the only reason it would matter is if I bought a model right away and they changed something drastic like the screen but I don't see them doing that and even if they did I don't think one model would be better than the other.. just curious and want the most bang for my $

Sent from my ADR6400L

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Oh not at all.. the only reason it would matter is if I bought a model right away and they changed something drastic like the screen but I don't see them doing that and even if they did I don't think one model would be better than the other.. just curious and want the most bang for my $

Sent from my ADR6400L

They might not need to make a different model because this phone will be the only phone to be using SAMOLED HD for a while, but then again, I don't know how many factories Samsung has to produce them depending if a lot of people will buy them or not (remember, 'we' are a small percentage compared to the whole of Android).

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Nice answer, I appreciate you taking the time to respond. I remember him saying he was comparing his thunderbolt with ones at the store and the screen was more tinted and seemed narrowed. In response, others posted they had notiiced this too.. personally I've never compared but all the websites say my phone is 2.44 inches and mine is actually 2.67 inches.. Idk maybe they shipped the initial batch with different materials. I simply wanted to know if I should buy the nexus right away or wait a few weeks in case they change any features, but Ive decided to just buy it asap lol... Sent from my ADR6400L

Thanks, that reply gave me a frame of reference. Since you only mentioned width in the OP, I was stumped. So when you replied, "more tinted" display, it clicked. So I'm really glad you said, that. Although, I still haven't seen the screen width issue acknowledged anywhere. I do know that testers had numerous complaints about the screen backlighting during testing because it suffered the same issues that people had w/ the original Evo release(s), +crappy backlighting. So they did rework that to satisfy Verizon before their final design arrived in stores. I could understand if they were used as in store demo units in corp. stores to create in store buzz for the Tbolt. I'm very, very,very akeptical those units ever left a display in the hands of a customer. Did they distribute these narrow screened units to everybody in the early sales, after the Tbolt launched @ VzW?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87