Question about the camera

Hangfire79

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Now I'm completely familiar with cameras and the fact that MP's mean absolutely squat, and that the sensor is what makes a decent camera. However, I did read a review and watch a youtube hands-on review that stated the camera took blurry pictures and that 1 in 5 were actually clear and crisp. Does any one know who the manufacturer is of the sensor? The video looked great but what about the still photos?

FishPharm

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
I surely hope this is not the case. If it is, I think the problem may be with the phone not coming with any type of image stabilization...I'm still puzzled why this wasn't as important to add as the panoramic option. As an amateur photographer, I have 2 SLR's that I absolutely love. I am in no way an expert but I have read many books on the subject as well as attended several photography lectures. Anyway, if what your saying is true, then the camera optics are not as good as they say they are. If its designed to let in more light, the pictures will be much sharper. Now, as far as the MP's go, it's incorrect to say (not directing this to you personally) that MP's don't mean squat. It depends on what your wanting to shoot etc. For instance, yesterday I went to a local Air Show and took pictures of the Thunderbirds perform. I have a really cool shot of a jet that when you see the regular picture its sharp but far enough away as to not be able to read the words on the jet. Since I shot this with a high MP camera, I zoomed and cropped the shot where you could see the refection of the sun on the pilots helmet and read the writing on the jet. So, people tend to believe that the higher the MP's the better the camera and in a way this is true because as manufacturers make better optics, they normally add more MP's. So its kind of like a sign of differentiating what camera may be better....the newer and improved the optics, the higher the megapixel. Its just plain odd for a manufacturer to redo all the optics of a camera but keep the MP's the same. These statements can be observed when looking at SLR's or even "point and shoot" cameras. I don't think I have ever seen manufacturers of these camera types retool the optics or sensor without increasing the MP's. Now I know my jet example above is kind of extreme. I wouldn't use this camera phone for this situation because you need a very fast shutter. But, you'd be surprised how many times you take a picture of something and decide later how nice it would be to zoom in on the subject and crop.

Hangfire79

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Okay okay, lol, MP's mean squat, I probably should have worded that a little differently you got me. My understanding is if you're wanting a larger image, it allows for a larger image to be sharper as there is more megapixels, but that for the average user such as myself, I have no need to blow up a picture to 3086x2564, lol. I'll try to find the video on youtube and post the link, if you simply look up "Galaxy Nexus video" it's the one where the guy takes a 1080p video of the street outside with the construction equipment.

Last edited:

Pixel

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
Now I'm completely familiar with cameras and the fact that MP's mean absolutely squat, and that the sensor is what makes a decent camera. However, I did read a review and watch a youtube hands-on review that stated the camera took blurry pictures and that 1 in 5 were actually clear and crisp. Does any one know who the manufacturer is of the sensor? The video looked great but what about the still photos?

I remember hearing that in a video as well.

The reason they said that I believe was that they were seeing what the pictures looked like if they took them as fast as they could. If they slowed down and kept it steady, I'm sure it's fine.

Reactions: elvisgp

Stein357

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site

If you're thinking of the review that I am, she stated that 1 in 5 was blurry and that was due to her taking them in rapid succession to show how fast it was.

Hangfire79

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Ahhh, you 2 may be correct. I do remember them taking them in rapid succession. I still would like to know the manufacturer of the sensor, i.e. Carl Zeiss etc etc.

FishPharm

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Okay okay, lol, MP's mean squat, I probably should have worded that a little differently you got me. My understanding is if you're wanting a larger image, it allows for a larger image to be sharper as there is more megapixels, but that for the average user such as myself, I have no need to blow up a picture to 3086x2564, lol. I'll try to find the video on youtube and post the link, if you simply look up "Galaxy Nexus video" it's the one where the guy takes a 1080p video of the street outside with the construction equipment.

I see your point but theres more to a huge image (3086x2564) than just a huge image. Many people like to zoom and crop within that huge picture to make a normal size picture of something of interest.

But aside from MP's, I can't wait to get my hands on this phone. I agree that the blur could be them trying to take a lot of shots to see how fast it is. My sister is getting the new iphone and I'm getting the Nexus...I can't wait to compare the two!

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Ahhh, you 2 may be correct. I do remember them taking them in rapid succession. I still would like to know the manufacturer of the sensor, i.e. Carl Zeiss etc etc.

Zeiss doesn't make sensors, they make lenses. Samsung has their own sensor fab so they probably make their own, but really the sensor manufacturer is much more important for a real camera than a phone. Variations within the phone lineup are just too great - the same manufacturer will make sensors for $600 superphones and $10 throwaways but you're pretty much guaranteed they're not the same sensor.

Hangfire79

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Welp, apparently I have no idea what I'm talking about when it comes to cameras then. Forget anything else other than the review I've referenced and the picasa album showing pics taken from the phone, see below. Some look great, others not so great. Granted, it does have alot to with lighting and the individual taking the pic.

Picasa Web Albums

FishPharm

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Welp, apparently I have no idea what I'm talking about when it comes to cameras then. Forget anything else other than the review I've referenced and the picasa album showing pics taken from the phone, see below. Some look great, others not so great. Granted, it does have alot to with lighting and the individual taking the pic.

Picasa Web Albums

Thanks for posting that link...I'm going to check them out now. But I have to say I am a bit worried about the camera because when Google/Samsung did their presentation I noticed the shots they took while demonstrating how fast the shutter was were blurry....hopefully it was just do to the lighting. This is all speculation right now but if the camera shoots blurry shots when you rapidly fire it then I have no idea why they increased the speed of the camera. With these phones being so light, image stabilization is a must to consistently get good shots. After watching the Apple presentation, I came away knowing what was improved with their camera (they had graphs, technical pics etc).....Samsung didn't do this so that is another reason why I'm a little concerned about the camera.

infernalman7

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm not skeptical about any other GN specs ezceor the camera. I think my HTC sensation suffers from the same issue where a considerable effort must be made in order to take a good photo.

I'm also skeptical about the performance under low light condition. But I can't really say anything until I see an in depth review of the camera or when gets my hands on one first.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

Hangfire79

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
While this is all speculation, I can't comprehend why Samsung, being a technological giant, would not put the very best in this phone, trumping the iphone in short order. It just doesn't make sense, almost like they took an older camera and reused. I truly hope this is not the case, hopefully this is not the final software build and it too will be optimized.

altimax98

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
For instance, yesterday I went to a local Air Show and took pictures of the Thunderbirds perform.

Hey I was there too.. I was shooting with my XSi and videoing with my tbolt. I was rather disappointed at the show. 3 years ago an I went it was sooo much better. Here's some of my old pics:

http://www.dsmphotos.com/Airplanes/BEST-OF-Airtfest-2009/7745934_sJFmCk#500804889_FhBj2

I understand the whole MP debate and it's right, I wish it was 8 or a 5 with f2.2 and IS. But when it all boils down to it were not going to be shooting photos like I posted above with a cellphone. Cellphones are for shooting people and scenery where your highend camera isn't avalible. It is meant to take passable photos not fantastic ones. I shot with my Tbolt yesterday at the Airshow too and I was very happy with the quality. Sure it had blown out areas, a little noise even in bright shots and the overall appearance was a little high in the contrast department. But hanging off my shoulder was my DSLR and that's how its supposed to be.

So for all those nay-sayers that complain because it's not good enough, save the money and get a great P+S or a DSLR and see how annoying it can be to carry them everywhere. You'll learn to appreciate the smartphone shots for what they are....

Btw - those shots were with a 55-220 lense w/no cropping at 12mp

ShinyTop

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Exactly, when you are going to an air show or other event when pics are required your dedicated digital camera will do better than any phone. If I do not have my camera I love to be able to pull out the phone and take a pic. With my Incredible it takes seconds. I am looking forward to the fast action but do not expect the same quality as with my camera. Cannot be done in that size.

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site

Picasa Web Albums
?
I've never used Picasa, so I'm unfamiliar with them but I do recall that a month ago when some test unit pix started popping up on photobucket and similiar sites, taken w/ testing units. People were dogging the shooter until it was pointed out that 5MP photos weren't able to be upoaded, cuz of file size. They had to post lower res pix if they uploaded them to an online album. Are you sure that's not a factor?

blackmannx#AC

Panda Motherfrinkin King
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
The blurry issue is a result of the someone talking pictures in rapid fashion.. which only look blurry because people are "jabbing" the device when they take the picture. If you hold the device still then you can take amazing pics.

This is due to the fact we are using a modifed SGS2 camera module but in order to get that fast camera action the size is limited to 5mp, so in essense you are looking more at a memory write issue.. Currently memory fast enough to keep up with writing images that big (8mp), that fast would be costly even using samsung in-house memory.

hope that makes sense its early and I havent had my beer...

panda

altimax98

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
The blurry issue is a result of the someone talking pictures in rapid fashion.. which only look blurry because people are "jabbing" the device when they take the picture. If you hold the device still then you can take amazing pics.

This is due to the fact we are using a modifed SGS2 camera module but in order to get that fast camera action the size is limited to 5mp, so in essense you are looking more at a memory write issue.. Currently memory fast enough to keep up with writing images that big (8mp), that fast would be costly even using samsung in-house memory.

hope that makes sense its early and I havent had my beer...

panda

Makes sense, it took DSLR cameras a long time to do good burst shots.

FishPharm

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Hey I was there too.. I was shooting with my XSi and videoing with my tbolt. I was rather disappointed at the show. 3 years ago an I went it was sooo much better. Here's some of my old pics:

**BEST OF** Airtfest 2009 - DSMPhotos - Daniel Marchena | SmugMug

I understand the whole MP debate and it's right, I wish it was 8 or a 5 with f2.2 and IS. But when it all boils down to it were not going to be shooting photos like I posted above with a cellphone. Cellphones are for shooting people and scenery where your highend camera isn't avalible. It is meant to take passable photos not fantastic ones. I shot with my Tbolt yesterday at the Airshow too and I was very happy with the quality. Sure it had blown out areas, a little noise even in bright shots and the overall appearance was a little high in the contrast department. But hanging off my shoulder was my DSLR and that's how its supposed to be.

So for all those nay-sayers that complain because it's not good enough, save the money and get a great P+S or a DSLR and see how annoying it can be to carry them everywhere. You'll learn to appreciate the smartphone shots for what they are....

Btw - those shots were with a 55-220 lense w/no cropping at 12mp

Cool!...so you were at the Macdill Air Show in Tampa?

FishPharm

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
altimax98,
My hope is that one day smartphones will basically replace a really good point and shoot camera. Lugging around my SLR is a pain ...especially with a 50-500mm telephoto.

You took great pics.......great shots! I may PM you a link to mine.