No support for Goggle wallet on Verizon?

jerrod6

May 20, 2011
Visit site
Google Wallet was one of the main features I wanted to use on the GN since I have over 1,200 locations in my neighborhood that will accept it. According to this post on BGR Verizon is not supporting it or is "thinking" about enhanced wallet services...translation...wants to but their own wallet service on the phone, but wallet has been tried and does work on the device.

Google Wallet comes to Samsung Galaxy Nexus (unofficially)

Dirty-Bird

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
I was upset about this too until I saw someone mention that Verizon has something similar called ISIS.

I assumed it can be used with the same technology that Goggle Wallet utilizes at the register.

Was I wrong? If that is the case it's not a huge deal. Same functionality it seems like.

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
This is ridiculous. It's all Verizon's fault. Google let them get their grubby hands on the Nexus and now they're dictating what apps we can and cannot have on the device?! Is this really happening?

It's a sad, sad story...

Edit: It is also Google's fault. They still haven't grown a backbone when it comes to dealing with the carriers.

kvlt

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
This is ridiculous. It's all Verizon's fault. Google let them get their grubby hands on the Nexus and now they're dictating what apps we can and cannot have on the device?! Is this really happening?

It's a sad, sad story...

Edit: It is also Google's fault. They still haven't grown a backbone when it comes to dealing with the carriers.

I agree on most everything. Google Wallet however, hasnt been officially available on any other carrier other than Sprint. Probably something to do with the other 3 and their partnership with Isis. I for one, will just run the unofficial version. Verizon isnt going to hold me down.

Mr. Poppalopolis

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site

It's a sad, sad story...

You can still buy unlocked Nexuses (Nexi?) and have it totally stock. But on Verizon it's nothing a little rooting won't fix.

jerrod6

May 20, 2011
Visit site
I was upset about this too until I saw someone mention that Verizon has something similar called ISIS.

I assumed it can be used with the same technology that Goggle Wallet utilizes at the register.

Was I wrong? If that is the case it's not a huge deal. Same functionality it seems like.

Google ISIS payment system. It is joint venture between Verizon, AT&T and T-mobile. The first attempt was to have you pay with your phone and have the charges appear on your phone bill but this was blocked by the banks and credit card issuers. Scaled down so that now you use your credit card. Limited trials to start in Salt lake City in mid 2012. Of course these carriers are trying to figure out a way to make you pay for this some how. Google wallet was free and works now. So yeah we may get to use ISIS late next year or later.

I carry my wallet, I carry my phone. Which ever payment method is cheaper will be the one I will use. I am not in the habit of giving money freely to banks, credit card companies, phone carriers or any other business. I am just mad right now that consumer choice is being held hostage by corporations and banks...but why am I surprised- -there is a whole history of this behavior taking place. Let me use Google wallet and if ISIS proves to better then I will use that, just don't limit my options especially if some of then cost less for the same functionality.

sahilm

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
Interesting! I was just about to post a thread similar to this! I too was really looking quite forward to and was actually suspicious of from the start. I had a feeling VZW wouldn't support it because never in their press releases or anything did they mention Google Wallet, something I imagine would have been a selling point.

Frankly though, I would have rooted this phone anyway, and so I'm confident that someone will create a work around that works for the LTE Galaxy Nexus too.

revickulous2001

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
It amazes me how ridiculous Verizon is. Google wallet was a major perk of this phone. I HATE that Verizon is being allowed to screw everything up. But in fairness, the consumers are the ones that make it possible. It's simple for Verizon customers who are angered by this to switch carriers. But that doesn't happen.

jafels

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Google wallet and the use of my phone as my debit card is something I'm extremely interested in. I hope there is a workaround for google wallet on verizon.......I live in farmville but most of the places I frequently shop at have pay pass.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
It amazes me how ridiculous Verizon is. Google wallet was a major perk of this phone. I HATE that Verizon is being allowed to screw everything up. But in fairness, the consumers are the ones that make it possible. It's simple for Verizon customers who are angered by this to switch carriers. But that doesn't happen.

I have been with each of the major service providers over the years. For me, VZW has been about the best of them. Their customer service is the best plus it is still in the US and they have relatively good coverage for the areas of the country I drive in.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
First of all, no one knows if this is true or not. Second of all, the number of NFC enabled phones in the US is very, very small, so its difficult to know which way they may go with it. Considering that Wallet isn't even available for any phone except the Nexus S on Sprint, who knows what'll happen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty