Backing up with no SD card

ellisz

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,

Since there is no SD card and any wipe will erase pics and personal data, what is the best way to back up? I started using Titanium and dropbox so I think this will cover my app data but what about pics, music, etc? What is the best way to capture this? Is it just a matter of connecting the phone to the PC and copy the data over when ever you do anything? I assume the answer to this is yes but not sure how the phone shows up on the PC since there is no SD card.

Thanks

sc4fpse

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Unless I'm mistaken, there is a separate partition on the device that serves as the SD card. This will not be wiped in a full wipe.

Again, that's just my understanding. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

ellisz

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
Unless I'm mistaken, there is a separate partition on the device that serves as the SD card. This will not be wiped in a full wipe.

Again, that's just my understanding. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I hope that is true but on the podcast on Thursday, I thought they said that a wipe is a full wipe on a device with no SD card. Is the Nexus S like this? I thought they said it was.

GTvert90

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
From what I've heard stock recovery = full wipe. CWM = just data. Not sure how it does it. It's nice they let us use the full 32, but sucks a wipe wipes it all

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I hope that is true but on the podcast on Thursday, I thought they said that a wipe is a full wipe on a device with no SD card. Is the Nexus S like this? I thought they said it was.

Yes, I asked that question to the podcast. I was a bit embarrassed that they struggled trying to pronounce my goofy user name, which has a story that I won't bore you with here. One of their responses was that the internal memory is on a single partition, and a wipe, or Factory Data Reset will erase everything on it.

My concern about the lack of an sdCard on the GN has been haunting me, based on my experience using my ASUS Transformer, where it behaves in that same manner on the internal memory, and I have to be very careful to move or backup files to the sdCard that I want to retain, before doing a wipe, then move or copy them back afterward. That will be somewhat of an inconvenience on the GN, in that it will take time to move gB's of data around prior to any wipe (assuming it is functional at the time), and it also introduces a risk of inadvertent erasure of files if we forget to copy any of them over. Without the luxury of an internal sdCard that is exempt from a wipe, it will be especially important on the GN to have a reliable process for backup and file movement to an external device, most likely a PC, or possibly a USB storage drive.

I really hope that the lack of an sdCard on this device doesn't represent a trend away from including them on new devices in the future.

ellisz

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
I agree. 20-30gb of data will be a pain to back up on a regular basis. I know I have wiped my charge 4 times in the last month. I am thinking that roms won't be as important as bloat is not really any issue but I assume there will be good tweaks that will be available.

I was reading about mybackup pro and it will back up pics, etc. but it puts it on the sd card as a zip file I believe. You would have to move it to the pc after back up. There is a cloud option but I am not sure of the size.

gnipeh

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
A part of the internal memory will be formatted to do MTP, i.e. be named "sdcard", and can be mounted to your computer using MTP (Media Transfer Protocol)

However, full wipe will wipe all internal memory, including this special partition.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
But if u have cwr and use that too wipe it only wipes data and cache it leaves the rest alone.

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
A part of the internal memory will be formatted to do MTP, i.e. be named "sdcard", and can be mounted to your computer using MTP (Media Transfer Protocol)

However, full wipe will wipe all internal memory, including this special partition.

Is that MTP structure baked into ICS? I hope so. It won't solve all of the problems, and it's too bad it can't be protected from the wipe, by default or by option selection, but it should make the MTP file copy/sync maintenance a bit more manageable.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
They give u just enough space yovteade to b worth any thing u have buy more storage.
Has anyone looked at the app "My Backup Pro"? Automatically stores your apps to either your SD card (not an option here, I understand....) or to their secure servers. If rooted, can also back up the apk data as well.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.rerware.android.MyBackupPro

Maybe it can help...

Sent from my DROID using Tapatalk

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
It's hard to speculate before I actually have one in-hand, but there are a few options:

The Galaxy S2 has a USB adapter which could be used to mount a USB thumb drive. Not sure if this will be an option but IMO this may be better than an SD card since I can more easily swap it around. I like the idea of a pocket full of these things with music on one, videos on others, one just for backups, etc.

For photos and videos I've been using Google+ to automatically back up my media - I think this is a great solution but pixel peepers won't like that it may down-rez your images.

It's fairly easy to write a script so a Linux box can routinely ping your phone's IP address, connect to its SSH server, and backup all the files when you walk in the door and connect to your WiFi network. If there's any interest I can look into publishing a script to automate something like this.

JediJesus95

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
I plan on using TB and DB to backup my data. All of my pics and videos get stored in Google+, YouTube, and Picasa. All of my music is on Google Music. My only problem would be movies I have stored on my device. I have quite a few movies I stream from Flixster and the other movies I will have to make sure I have a copy on my PC and transfer after I wipe.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch