Best Buy Finally Called and Asked Me To Return The GN

kpageisgreat

Jan 16, 2010
Visit site
I personally would return it but only if I am able to get something out of it from Best Buy for the hassle they are putting you through to return the phone to them.

Sentrix

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Return it if you're having some of the issues that others are having.

If your GNexus is working perfectly, then don't. This phone may have a ton of issues upon its actual launch, even with the 4.1 OTA, and if you have one that's functioning just fine, it's not worth the risk of losing that stability.

Cauhauna

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
It is a moral obligation, not a legal one. I have no problem with the manner in which he obtained the phone. The vendor is asking that he return it because they made a mistake. I would definitely negotiate with them for stuff. That would be prudent.

Moral obligation by YOUR morals. Maybe not by OP's (and definitely not by mine).

I would want $1000 gift card. That's MSRP of phone + price i paid for upgrade.

Reactions: WolfSkull

guinnkevinr

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to call him back and negotiate in two hours when I'm off work. Truth is, I don't have the Razr anymore since I sold it to pay for the Gnex, so I don't have another phone. There really isn't another phone that I want in it's place so I would negotiate for a refund + a free Razr (Or giftcard of equal value)

Jeff43

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
If you don't return it, you will simply be banned from every BB in the country.

All your personal info they have will be sent to all the BB security departments. If you were to escape detection in a BB in the future, you will have to pay cash, because anything with your name on it will set off warning lights and buzzers.:p

In all seriousness, I don't really envy your position now. If it was me, I would reluctantly return it. and wait for the official release.

At least you can come away from all this will one hell of a good story.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I would be happy with just a refund and enough to cover the cost of phone on contract. people saying you should ask for $1000+ are crazy. If they will give you a giftcard to cover the cost or give you the phone for free why do you need more than that? Maybe some accessories or something. Then again this is the entitled generation...

Reactions: nbell978

bworley50

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Moral obligation by YOUR morals. Maybe not by OP's (and definitely not by mine).

I would want $1000 gift card. That's MSRP of phone + price i paid for upgrade.
Sure, morality is subjective in many instances. The problem is that it could and most likely will affect the store and its employees negatively. If you have an opportunity to right a wrong, you should do so. That is what I was referring to.

bworley50

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to call him back and negotiate in two hours when I'm off work. Truth is, I don't have the Razr anymore since I sold it to pay for the Gnex, so I don't have another phone. There really isn't another phone that I want in it's place so I would negotiate for a refund + a free Razr (Or giftcard of equal value)
Negotiate in person. Make sure you have your receipt on you.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
So ask for a refund + a giftcard for the cost of the phone?

yes. plus the tax. make a big deal out of time lost from work, lost personal time, having to install/uninstall apps/widgets/screens, transportation, etc. it was their mistake. and their mistake cost you money in time and aggravation and hassle. they should compensate you for their mistake. how much? the cost of the phone. you spent X hours on getting/setting up/returning this phone. they can afford it. and they will STILL make money on your cellular contract.

lilnate

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
i wouldnt return it unless the person that sold it to you told you in person they were going to lose their job if you didnt return it...or unless they are going to hook you up with whatever you feel is fair..i personally wouldnt take less than $100 in stuff from them. Make sure whatever you do, you get it in writing and have if possible take your old phone and get it on video. just to make sure.

bworley50

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Give it back and void the transaction. Make sure they agree to GIVE you one for FREE, NO CONTRACT, because of THEIR mistake. That is a much easier thing for them to eat than the alternatives.

Live2ride883

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I vote that you return it, I wouldn't negotiate or anything else for a "better" deal. You had prior knowledge that the phone wasn't supposed to be sold. Yes the CSR at BB messed up by selling you one in the first place but you have to accept responsibility for your part in this as well.

Honestly these days everyone spends way too much time and effort into taking advantage of any situation. While not everyone here will agree with what I said IMHO it's the right thing to do.

You had a few days to play with an unreleased device, you'll get your money back and you have a head start on everyone else in knowing what we are getting.

They may offer you a discount or a gift card for your time and trouble, but that is up to them.

I hope you will let us know what you decide to do.

odranoel

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
It is a moral obligation, not a legal one. I have no problem with the manner in which he obtained the phone. The vendor is asking that he return it because they made a mistake. I would definitely negotiate with them for stuff. That would be prudent.

I don't believe there is a moral obligation, at least because the company would acknowledge no moral obligation to its customers. Judging it from Aristotle's ethical standard of beautiful action, I don't see anything particularly noble about saving someone else's corporation from losing a relatively insignificant amount of money or suffering embarrassment. It would be magnanimous to do so, I suppose, but magnanimity loses force when the agents are so asymmetrical.

There would be an obligation if the person who sold it to him was a friend, and asked for the return. If an unrelated person facing disciplinary action, it would be nobler to return the phone; but not obligatory. An obligation is something owed; debts between the parties were discharged when the funds were exchanged. Asking for it back is an unreasonable request, and it seems hard to imagine being obliged to do something unreasonable.

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
There is little chance I would give it back. With all the crap I have done in my life I am going to hell anyway.

Remember the op now will have no phone as he sold his other one. I would ask for a free phone of choice and not on contract if I was to give it back. I would say take it or leave it.

guinnkevinr

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
He's called 3 times now. I'd answer and deal with it now but I'm at work and don't have the time to handle this. I'm guessing all hell is breaking loose over at that store right now. I'm a bit worried.

and that's 3 times in one hour.

lilnate

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
im going to the gym...im seriously looking forward to what happens when i get back...

again..reading other peoples thoughts...i would shoot for the sky and try to get your contract voided that your just resigned...and then get a free OUTRIGHT Nexus when they are released...then you can use your upgrade in a few months or whenever you feel you want a new phone. I said only a $100 giftcard earlier, but im sure they will make it worth your while to return it.

tl:dr... get an outright phone for free when you return it or tell them meh