Sent back the Nexus... feel...

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Now that is a joke, right?

Show me a cheaper phone with vanilla ICS right now....
...or even a more expensive phone ftm.

I had a bad experience. You aren't/didn't. Fine.

Plenty of phones with an ics rom. Would do the same stuff for cheaper. It has nothing to do with me. You are ing about it being a recession yet pay 300 for a phone. Seems kinda backwards to me. Has nothing to do with experience at all.

dimachka

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Wow, talk about haters.

I was the OP on a similar thread. Why all the haters against people who make polite posts about why they don't like the phone?

These ARE useful posts, as they help educate others

Sorry if this comes off as rude, but so far I have not found these posts useful. I have found them to be made by people who did not do their research and had no idea what they were buying, you included, or by people desperately looking for a way to justify to themselves that they don't fall into that first category.

Reactions: Premium1

k6tcher

May 29, 2011
Visit site
Well,l don't get me wrong. I do love the phone. $300 is just a lot of scratch and to mention wasting an upgrade. January (CES) is close. Instead of exchanging, exchanging, waiting on fixes, waiting on fixes, I just thought I'd wait a few more months. Maybe I'll purchase it again in 60+ days. I mean I have waited since September (actually May if you count since my upgrade was available).

I just thought others would like to know there are users like me out there that have had a bad experience. No phone is perfect.

Last edited:

k6tcher

May 29, 2011
Visit site
Sorry if this comes off as rude, but so far I have not found these posts useful. I have found them to be made by people who did not do their research and had no idea what they were buying, you included, or by people desperately looking for a way to justify to themselves that they don't fall into that first category.

I am sorry you do not have the information that would inform you I did do my research before ordering. If you did not mean me, I apologize. If you did mean me, did you not do your research that clearly showed I did research for months BEFORE purchasing the Nexus?
Sorry if that is rude of me to state but you assume others who returned the phone didn't have a clue or something.
As I have stated, I had a bad experience and I will not be the last to have one.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Some people here sound like the people on crackberry that get mad when someone says something less that favorable about their device. These posts may not be useful to everyone but for others it is useful to see that everything isn't perfect and the specific issues some are experiencing. And some of these things people couldn't have predicted even with research. Would not have been able to know the speaker isn't great, camera is on par with last year's devices and and some of the defects. Having said that, I'm really liking the device. No major issues here. But I do appreciate the experiences of those to help me see what I can keep my eye out on because just because I haven't experienced it yet, doesn't mean I won't. I especially appreciate it when they aren't coming off as trolls and whiners.

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
I saw this happen in store. The 4G Icon never disappeared, but the data connection stopped working. Sales guy had to restart the phone for it to work.

I'm really hoping this is a bug with data not working and not a bug with 3G and 4G icons displaying when there's no data. D:

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site

Not taken as rude. Just as my posts have not been rude.

odranoel

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm no iPhone expert, but I have never heard about these kind of QC issues on iPhones, other than the signal strength issue. Do the retailers you speak of discount the phone accordingly? If I absolutely knew I wanted a particular phone and had no qualms about QC, I'm sure I'd go to such a retailer for a suitable discount, as well.

There may be people who would buy a phone, uncertain about whether they like the color or some other minor detail, and would live with it because there were no returns. I think the more likely scenario is that such people would not have bought the phone in the first place. Returns - including allowing returns for trivial issues - cut both ways. On the one hand, you do have people who return it for no good reason. On the other hand, you have people who never would've spent the money except the salesman assured them that "if you don't like it, you can just return it!"

Unless there is a law compelling Verizon to offer returns for non-defective items, Verizon must think that they are making money on the deal.

FTR: the main reason I have waited for the nexus is the screen, and because it is less bulky than the rezound. If I were to bring it home and find that it had banding of any sort, I would consider that a serious defect and return it until I got a phone with a functioning screen. If I couldn't get that... I'd want my money back.

I do share your concern that some of the people unsatisfied with the phone do not appear to have actually read the reviews and are upset about known issues. While my initial impulse is to say that not doing one's due diligence is a waste of one's time, it may simply be rational ignorance. I know I've spent too many hours reading thread after thread about issues and solutions... it would probably be more efficient for me to get the phone, see if it works, research any issues that occur specific to me, and return the phone if I cannot resolve those issues.

iPhones have no return period if bought from a number of retailers, and often can only be exchanged if defective. That's just in response to that comment about cost of device vs. return policy.

We're speaking the same language here. It's not meant to condemn product returns as a whole, but plenty of folks would only have to pay $199 if there had to be a ligitimate defect with the device. Buyer's remorse over a "phantom" blemish is overblown. I understand this person had signal issues, but working in the industry I find that people will return a phone because the color never grew on them or something to that effect. These aren't defects and work perfectly so I'd openly criticise but please keep in mind I am speaking from a personal belief about waste management and personal responsibility.

A guy purposefully goes to BB to see if he can get a pre-launch Nexus, breaks the store's street date, and causes the store to get a fine. He takes the nexus home feels like it didn't live up to the hype and now he returns it for a number of reasons that are not related to it's intended functionality. I say intended functionality because launches for devices are rarely perfect and Nexus are for people who are in it for the long software support and quick updates.

Reactions: k6tcher and BiNGE

BiNGE

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
I really respect the OP for sharing his experience with an issue with the device, and I respect anyone else making similar observations. Let's forget for a minute who did how much research and for which customer the phone was intended arguments.

The facts are that the device has a few software bugs that other software teams ironed out before the release of their device. The issue with signal may be a bad antenna for some customers. At a store location we can have a 1/20 defective antenna return every month no matter the phone/manufacturer. VZW delayed the phone due to issues on the back-end with the network. That I can say with certainty and couldn't until after launch. People in company are noticing phones getting the wrong PRL for the intended area. This is by no means a hardware issue. As things stand I respect anyone who has a defective problem and returns their device for the same one or went with another manufacturer, but as far as I'm concerned everyone else wants to ride the hype and then complain if their own excitement let them down. Those people will just be another customer who will be respected by the return policy, but if/when I need to break policy to make the customer happy then I will do no such thing. Nobody tricked these people to buy a phone online without going into a store first and trying it. Nobody tricked these people into getting it as soon as the doors opened the day it was released, and nobody forced the buyer to ignore his/her own better judgement when demoing the device.

To all of the anti-haters that will call all haters and all that nonsense... the Rezound is the best selling high end phone in the Android camp this year. Customer's brand recognition and the launch package polish is making a lot of sales. The Rezound also has a higher cost to store/company than any other phone on the market. If you are a consumer who needs the best, now, then that really is the phone. If you wanted ICS, curved glass, a slightly larger display, and google to update your phone then you will only be satisfied by sticking with the GNex and waiting out the bugs. For whatever reason people couldn't see this sooner is beyond me, but even if the phone had perfect reception the Rezound would still do better this holiday season. It's more tailored to consumers than enthusiasts.

I don't know who started all of these lofty expectations, but as for defective units the most returns we've had are from lesser phones. Very few defective returns on the GNex the rest of the 299.99 camp. We're getting a ton of non-defective exchanges for the Rezound from the other two. #1 reason is the headphones included with the phone. #2 reason is GNex was not as user friendly.

Again to EVERYONE who's seen me openly critique people's spending habbits... this is because of personal belief and I harbor no ill will toward the customers. Just consider for 5 seconds that those really OCD details (it's made of plastic!?!?) about the phone you dislike that aren't defects could be infuriating to you but do not help the general public or the enthusiast community.

*EDIT*
I'm no iPhone expert, but I have never heard about these kind of QC issues on iPhones, other than the signal strength issue. Do the retailers you speak of discount the phone accordingly? If I absolutely knew I wanted a particular phone and had no qualms about QC, I'm sure I'd go to such a retailer for a suitable discount, as well.

I'd have to disagree. Maybe on the web you might see what you would call less complaining, but most people won't complain if they know they don't have a choice. Like I said before for the most part stores must agree with apple that no apple products may be returned once opened unless through apple. You are stuck with the iPhone or at least an iPhone. Their QC is no more or less than HTC/Samsung from my numbers.

Last edited:
Reactions: k6tcher

k6tcher

May 29, 2011
Visit site
I have to say, I do not agree with some of the things you have posted tonight, but I certainly respect you for your clarity. You are a class-act.

Reactions: BiNGE

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Another thing is that people think everyone does "research" before they buy something. Now I know with this this device, most of us that bought it have been following it for a long time. But for the most part many people don't do research when they buy something. The vast majority of consumers still based their decisions on commercials, friend recommendations and sales reps opinion when they buy a device. The number of people that troll forums like this in very small compared to the population that actually purchase devices. Having said that, I think everyone should always try to do some research before they purchase anything but at the same time, some things don't come up in device previews. If a lot of this stuff was known and easily found then I suspect Google would have had the OS updated to have a near perfect device out. And if they knew and still released it then shame on them. But it's forums like these where these issues get pushed all over the web so someone notices and sees that something needs to be done. We have to take the good and bad when it comes to our devices and not get upset when someone points out that the device we like or have is not as good as we think it to be.

chevyman29

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Whats sad is there was a post over at HOFO from a insider that said this phone would have signal issues and was gonna be a let down . now if all these researchers had been doing there job they would have known this because the post was well in advance of the release .... now ME being the fool i am bought the GSM version for the sum of 749.00 plus shipping mainly because the review right here on AC said it had great radio reception . i was hoping the signal issue was a verizon thing but no its a hardware thing just like the INSIDER said it was weeks ago . why people choose to defend a poor product is beyond me . I love ICS but I dont love samsung . I went in knowing samsung had poor rep for reception but got cought up in the hype and bought one anyway . smart buyers wait till the dust settles and then research the reviews from real people and make a decision . sadly IM not a smart buyer im a impatient buyer LOL . but hey im keeping my nexus and making the most of it .

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
....but even if the phone had perfect reception the Rezound would still do better this holiday season. It's more tailored to consumers than enthusiasts.

+1 --- ^ Best summary line.

Which is why there should be no problems with consumers voicing their views. - Unless this is only an enthusiast forum

Mordecaidrake

Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
Lets not forget the phone is what a week old? I'm sure radio issues will be addressed, this phone is selling like hotcakes it'll get fixed. If Samsung doesn't do it you know the devs will.

dwboston

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm not a VZW or GN user, but maybe the reason the Rezound is the best-selling device is because VZW actually markets it. I have yet to see one Nexus ad. I stopped at a VZW coprorate store yesterday to check out the GN and had to walk around the store twice before I found it. It was lumped in at the end of a group of phones, with no posters anywhere, just the small price sign next to the phone itself. It's no wonder that only enthusiasts know about it.

I liked the phone and thought the screen was great. I thought the phone seemed just a bit slow at first, but then realized it had a live wallpaper and a bunch of widgets loaded up (no LTE signal either). I switched it to a static wallpaper and the phone screamed. It was much lighter than I expected for the size. The only negatives for me were the screen resolution relative to my 42 year old eyesight, and believe it or not, the onscreen buttons. I have a Xoom and think the onscreen buttons are great with Honeycomb, but my initial impression was that they might take up too much of the screen on the phone. That said, it's a really nice device.

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Wow, talk about haters.

I was the OP on a similar thread. Why all the haters against people who make polite posts about why they don't like the phone?

These ARE useful posts, as they help educate others

Because you're in a galaxy nexus forum, so either sing it's praises or listen to those who do defend it at all costs

oxymoron

It's been real...
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
+1 --- ^ Best summary line.

Which is why there should be no problems with consumers voicing their views. - Unless this is only an enthusiast forum

It's open to anyone, but the standard customer to enthusiast ratio is skewed heavily toward enthusiast. Don't be surprised by enthusiastic responses. It isn't right or wrong, it just is. The Nexus line of phones are FOR the enthusiast/development community. We adore them.

I'm an enthusiast. I have been using smartphones since windows mobile. Moved to Android with the OG Droid. I've never owned a smartphone I didn't hack. I even hack devices for friends and family. My experience is probably mirrored throughout this forum.

While some of us are more abrupt in our delivery of opinion of absurdity to other's "issues", some of us also use tact... or simply remain silent. I prefer the latter, and choose not to post very often.

I think there are devices with legitimate issues, and ones with perceived issues by the user, respectively. There is admitted difficulty in deciphering between the two sometimes, and they are even mistaken for the other occasionally.

Sometimes, we may not feel it's worth the effort to attempt to distinguish between them, and just offer short quips as responses. I am guilty of this.

I am fortunate to have a non defective device. I love it, and it loves me back. I feel for those with a legitimately defective device. It's probably heart breaking, especially if you WANT to love it. On the flip side, I can't stand whiners... or sensationalism.

In any case, I'd like to think we should all use tact, no matter our opinion.

For the record, throwing around the term fanboy is almost always certain to incite "emotion", and/or start a thread on a path to be locked.

[/my $.02]

*customized tapatalk signature*

Reactions: BiNGE

caasheew

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I saw this happen in store. The 4G Icon never disappeared, but the data connection stopped working. Sales guy had to restart the phone for it to work.

Ugh I've been having this problem on my droid X. Only recently though. It started happening to me around the same time that LTE issue happened. The one that delayed the dec 9th launch of the nexus. I finally put CM7.1 on my X and still having the issue.

I am waiting for my nexus to arrive. Cmon FedEx!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non