"Mobile Network Not Available" - Can't even call 911

radef

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure if what I'm experiencing is the same problem as other users or not when it comes to signal issues. I've had 3G and 4G data issues over the last couple days - which seems pretty common. But put that aside for a moment...

I am not even able to make or receive phone calls - even calls to 911. My phone will show no bars, no 3G/4G indication, etc. I'm in places where I know my old phone would work and other folks have working Verizon phones. When I attempt to make calls, I get "Mobile Network Not Available" messages or calls that end with a duration of 0:00.

I notice this most often when I pick the phone up and it's screen has been off. Power up and I can't make calls. Any incoming calls that came in while I was in this state went to voicemail.

Yeah - I wouldn't advise calling 911...but I wanted to know if my phone was working at all or not. It sure appears the phone was worthless at that point.

When I get into this state - it's stays there for minutes. I've had to reboot one time after it wouldn't get a signal after a few minutes.

Is this the "normal" signal problems or something unique? I'm trying to figure out if I need to raise this up with Verizon and ask for a replacement phone.

Thougths?

Last edited:

nkd

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Wait until someone linking you to the anandtech.com and tell you there is nothing wrong with your phone. That is getting ridiculous.

No it is not unique. The problem is that sometimes this happens when your not even looking at the phone. It has happened to me once where the phone dropped all bars no data and no signal. I didn't try to call out but it hasn't happened after that. May be its Verizon's network.

Me and my friend were talking about it today and we have decided to keep the phone until 15th and if they don't address this we are going back to razr. I am suppose to send the razr back to amazon and I still have 30 days left.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I had this happen to me also. It was funny that I was on a landline with Verizon CSR when it happened and I told them about it. They bumped me over to a level 2 support and we went over some settings in the phone. I suspect that like me you're also in a marginal area. That is where this phone seems to have the most issues with the radios.

I'm holding out for a fix before January 15th because in all other ways I'm in love with this phone, but, if a fix doesn't happen by then I will have to look at other options.

nkd

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I had this happen to me also. It was funny that I was on a landline with Verizon CSR when it happened and I told them about it. They bumped me over to a level 2 support and we went over some settings in the phone. I suspect that like me you're also in a marginal area. That is where this phone seems to have the most issues with the radios.

I'm holding out for a fix before January 15th because in all other ways I'm in love with this phone, but, if a fix doesn't happen by then I will have to look at other options.

Not 4 me. I am in excellent coverage area. 4g 3g and voice. Never had a single issue with the razr. I was actually in love with the signal on that phone. I still have it, if there is no fix. I will be keeping the razr and sending this back. Thanks to Amazon's 30 day grace period to send the phone back.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

radef

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site

This has happened to me in good coverage areas - definitely not places I'd call marginal.

Bad_Robot

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I got this earlier this morning as part of the larger outage taking place. I live in NYC so no coverage issues here. I am back with full 4G now. It has nothing to do with your radio it is affecting many different phones.

Holsum

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
This has happened to me in good coverage areas - definitely not places I'd call marginal.

when you try and make the call are the network bars blue? if they arent blue that means that it is either switching from 3G to 4G or vice versa, or that its authenticating. you mention that its right when you start the phone up. Next time see if you have blue network bars before making the call. If they are grey the call wont go through.

You can also try to factory reset and see if that fixes the issue. this has fixed a lot of users issues. sometimes there is conflict with the crap that verizon puts on the phone.

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
For me this has nothing to do with the outage this morning. It happened last Monday the first time and there was no outage. And yes, the phone had all grey bars at the time. At the same time the GN could not contact the network, my wife's dinc was able to make calls and had data and this in the same room at the same time.

nkd

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Happens. I am sure it is happening to a lot of other people and only thing is whether you notice it or not. It doesn't happen often. I could use the phone for a few hours and next time I pull out ny phone it has no bars and no 4g symbol in a major coverage area. Never happened if i switch it to 3g. Seems to be 4G related. Happened before outage. It is something that could go unnoticed if u were not looking at the phone.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

gdubs2013

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Play with your settings, More... -> Mobile networks and make sure that Data enabled is turned on and your radio is on LTE/CDMA. Then toggle those on and off for like 5/10 mins, doing that seems to make the radios work better for a while for me. Then it goes back to almost little to no signal most of the time.

sjankis630

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I just bought my Nexus this evening and I am having similar issues. I am not happy.
I was at first thinking that the phone was not that great. I took it back to my office - working late - and fired up slacker.com and it was slower than my previous phone. (Droid Eris)
Then I could not connect to the market or get a web page to load worth a damn. The bars were all grey as mentioned above. It sounds like it is "searching" and while it does my phone is not connected at all.My office has always gotten great connection with my old phone on Verizon.
Then I get home and it drops a call! Never had that happen with Verizon. I connected to my wi-fi and the phone suddenly is performing like I expected it to. Very fast and the Google market and browser flies.
My problem is that I bought this phone for the 4G but so far it is not happening?
Would changing it to CDMA only do anything?
I am frankly embarrassed at how weak it is performing on my network. My Eris does a better job.
Any suggestions?
Thanks and I am not trolling I love the phone! I keep staring at it but at the present moment the web browser does not pull up any pages!

nkd

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I just bought my Nexus this evening and I am having similar issues. I am not happy.
I was at first thinking that the phone was not that great. I took it back to my office - working late - and fired up slacker.com and it was slower than my previous phone. (Droid Eris)
Then I could not connect to the market or get a web page to load worth a damn. The bars were all grey as mentioned above. It sounds like it is "searching" and while it does my phone is not connected at all.My office has always gotten great connection with my old phone on Verizon.
Then I get home and it drops a call! Never had that happen with Verizon. I connected to my wi-fi and the phone suddenly is performing like I expected it to. Very fast and the Google market and browser flies.
My problem is that I bought this phone for the 4G but so far it is not happening?
Would changing it to CDMA only do anything?
I am frankly embarrassed at how weak it is performing on my network. My Eris does a better job.
Any suggestions?
Thanks and I am not trolling I love the phone! I keep staring at it but at the present moment the web browser does not pull up any pages!

Yea 3g only never has issues. I bearly have issues with 4g but i am not ignorant like others that will say phone is great no matter what.

People say oh Nexus displays true 4g signal when phones like droid razr display 3g signal all the time even when 4g lte is on.

So this is what I did today, I switched it to 3g only and had my friend switch his droid to 3g only.

my signal strength -98dbm, his signal strenght -74dbm. I wonder what those people have to say now when I compare 3g to 3g, signal is weak and verizon can sugarcoat it all they want.

kilgoretrout

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I bought mine two days ago. I have also lost the ability to make calls at times. I am waiting to see if an update will fix the issue because overall I enjoy the phone. But not being able to make calls? Completely unacceptable.

radef

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I experienced my problems while I was in an area with 3G and 4G coverage.

Now, I'm back to my normal area that has no 4G anywhere nearby - and the phone works fine. Maybe it has to do with the phone switching between 4G and 3G? Again, when I'm in a 3G only area - it has been working without issues.

Sei28

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
This is getting very annoying. My phone has been showing grey bars about 3/4 of the time I pick it up and fiddle with it. Calling works, but no internet while those are showing.

This morning, it's showing "no signal". I can't even make any call now. I'm giving it until the 14th and if this still isn't fixed until then will get it exchanged with Razr.

CarryMe

Banned
Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
Maybe it has to do with the phone switching between 4G and 3G?
That seems to be the problem - the hand-off between 3G and 4G. Someone elsewhere said it could be that it requires reauthentication when the hand off occurs and that is where the problem is.

Please call VZW and let them know what problems you are having so we can get this problem fixed.

mitra88

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure if what I'm experiencing is the same problem as other users or not when it comes to signal issues. I've had 3G and 4G data issues over the last couple days - which seems pretty common. But put that aside for a moment...

I am not even able to make or receive phone calls - even calls to 911. My phone will show no bars, no 3G/4G indication, etc. I'm in places where I know my old phone would work and other folks have working Verizon phones. When I attempt to make calls, I get "Mobile Network Not Available" messages or calls that end with a duration of 0:00.

I notice this most often when I pick the phone up and it's screen has been off. Power up and I can't make calls. Any incoming calls that came in while I was in this state went to voicemail.

Yeah - I wouldn't advise calling 911...but I wanted to know if my phone was working at all or not. It sure appears the phone was worthless at that point.

When I get into this state - it's stays there for minutes. I've had to reboot one time after it wouldn't get a signal after a few minutes.

Is this the "normal" signal problems or something unique? I'm trying to figure out if I need to raise this up with Verizon and ask for a replacement phone.

Thougths?

Yes, it looks like you just experienced the signal drop. This random signal drop seems to happen all of sudden when GN tries to switch the tower from one to another (not 100% of the case because it also happened while the phone stayed still). It just lose the connection to the tower, and does not try to reconnect. No 1xRTT, no EVDO, no LTE.

I was able to restore connection by putting the radio off and back on (airplane mode). After that, it seems to get back to normal. However, if I leave the phone as is, it just stays disconnected for minutes, even hours.

I would say something is definitely not right about hand-off of towers in GN. Any guess what? It will not be fixed in the next update (4.0.3), since I already flashed the leaked 4.0.3 baseband to my GN and it still happens!!! :D

bluesboss2

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
I downloaded this and it took me from 2 LTE signal bars to full strength. Not sure how it works. It's got 5 stars in the Market.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.freshnetwork

---
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just got FreshNetwork also on my GNex and my first impression (30 mins) is that it has cured my network connection problems completely. My network bars would "gray-out" and lose data connectivity (not voice) completely. This happened after losing wifi signal, or very often after the screen had simply been off. Extremely frustrating - like the rest of you have experienced. My point is this - FreshNetwork seems to have cured the problem and my GNex is now working flawlessly! One reviewer wrote that he thought it toggled airplane mode on and off to refresh the network. I don't know, but whatever it does, it works. And it's free. Definitely worth a try. Best wishes to all. Spread the word!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo