Dialer question...

hanano17

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
...is there a way to get the dialer to work like most other Android handsets, where you start spelling out a name and it pops up selections from the dial pad? I like the stock dialer, but miss that feature from previous phones.

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but when you open the dialer there is a search button in the lower left corner. From there you can search and the name pops up.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
You would have to download another dialer from the market. Stock Android has never had that feature but it would definitely be nice if they incorporated it. That's one thing custom skins actually got right.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

blackjaguar25

Thunderbolter
Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
This is not a feature on the Galaxy Nexus right now. It's quite frustrating, so you might have to use a different app.

Sent from my Liquid Smooth T-Bolt

hanano17

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
Blarg, thats what I thought. I'm sure a stock rom with it added (plus other minor tweaks) will be coming soon enough. Might already be, haven't looked.

anon(20593)

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Download Dialer One (free). It does this and you can set up speed dials as well.

I am trying to keep my Galaxy Nexus as "pure" as possible for as long as I can - so I'd love to use a minimum number of overlays/skins/launchers for the next 4-6 weeks before I go back to the medley of things I used on my Droid Incredible.

But it is critical that I have the functionality of a dialer where I can starting to type out a name and have the contact list shrink and be able to zero on the contact.

Are there alternatives to Dialer One? I don't like the Dialer One visuals - the HTC Sense dialer and the stock ICS ones are better.

LBTRS

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Are there alternatives to Dialer One? I don't like the Dialer One visuals - the HTC Sense dialer and the stock ICS ones are better.

I'm using TouchPal Dialer which is just what I was looking for. The dialer is the biggest weakness of this phone in my opinion.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Reactions: DoodleD