Galaxy Nexus: Any way to speed up the Camera's Shutter Speed

marcw

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Anyone know how to speed up the shutter speed or take manual pictures with the camera? I took a quite a few pictures today and most of the pictures where shot with 1/17 or 1/16 shutter speed. So all my pictures are either blurry or too soft.

I change the setting to sport but then the flash does not fire and i can not force it to turn on. The shutter speed did rise to 1/33

I tried camera360 and the I believe they changed it, but there is no way to change any settings. There used to be a way to change the iso. Anyone know of another program to play with the settings?

(I am not talking shutter lag, i am talking shutter speed.)

thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
Since its auto the speed will be determined by light. The brighter it is the quicker the shutter. Its not like a dslr with manual controls. I'd love if it was. Haven't seen anything that will let you change speed or aperture.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

marcw

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Re: Any way to speed up the Camera's Shutter Speed

Since its auto the speed will be determined by light. The brighter it is the quicker the shutter. Its not like a dslr with manual controls. I'd love if it was. Haven't seen anything that will let you change speed or aperture.

I agree with you, but 1/17 is not acceptable when trying to take a clear picture.

marcw

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site

I do not want to an SLR, any camera that takes a picture at 1/17 shutter speed is not acceptable. 1/17 is too slow for anything that moves. A point and click should not be at 1/17 at the slowest it should be 1/60 (or worst 1/30)

Taking a picture of a turtle at 1/17, you will see blur.

Do not take my point of taking a "manual" picture meaning i want a slr. Manual control would give me the option to choose a faster shutter speed. I would rather have the camera in auto mode at a faster speed.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site

I do not want to an SLR, any camera that takes a picture at 1/17 shutter speed is not acceptable. 1/17 is too slow for anything that moves. A point and click should not be at 1/17 at the slowest it should be 1/60 (or worst 1/30)

Taking a picture of a turtle at 1/17, you will see blur.

Do not take my point of taking a "manual" picture meaning i want a slr. Manual control would give me the option to choose a faster shutter speed. I would rather have the camera in auto mode at a faster speed.

Again, you're expecting too much. You need to adjust your expectations under the realization that this is a phone camera. If you are that concerned about this, use an actual camera.

SSHGuru

Banned
Dec 15, 2009
Visit site

Unbelievable thread.

This has as close to a 0 shutter lag as any phone made.

Sentrix

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

Unbelievable thread.

Agreed.

OP, if you're complaining about the shutter speed on this phone... then try dealing with the camera on the Droid Bionic. LOL

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
As I said. You need light for a correct exposure that is done by controlling the shutter speed. See here I can shoot 1/100 a sundown outside. More light will give you a quicker shutter speed as it needs less time open to achieve the right exposure. Also if you were to set just your exposure to 1/60 manually your shots would be dark. The shutter would not be open long enough to take enough light into the sensor for a correctly exposed image. I'm a photographer its what I do.
43541cb6-32a7-1c4f.jpg

43541cb6-32b8-b169.jpg

Last edited:

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

Agreed.

OP, if you're complaining about the shutter speed on this phone... then try dealing with the camera on the Droid Bionic. LOL

I have pretty much given up using my Droid Bionic.

As for the signal issue. While, my Nexus consistently shows less bars than does Droid Bionic, I have not had dropped calls like I did consistently with the Bionic.

Additionally, do the bars really mean much of anything? If our phones use digital technology for calls, doesn't mean it is either a 0, or a 1? It is either on or off. So whether you have one bar, or five bars, isn't it still the same signal?

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site

Unbelievable thread.

Shutter lag has absolutely nothing to do with shutter speed.

Shutter speed is the length of time the aperture is open during the shot. Anything under 1/60th of a second on a cell phone will almost always cause blurring. It's just too hard to hold a phone steady enough for long exposures.

Shutter lag is the length of time it takes between pressing the red button and when the picture is taken.

The original post was about shutter speed and not lag.

2waterfowl

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site

Shutter lag and shutter speed are completely different things. The shutter lag is indeed super fast. And the shutter speed is super slow as the OP states. I own DSLR's and thousands of dollars worth of lenses and I too would like to know if there is some program out there that will allow me some manual control over this "phone camera". I would like to get some keepers from this sweet ass phone.If not, I hope the next update will fix this issue along with all the other minor issues that we are finding on this ground breaking device.

People need to chill out on this forum. Quit beating people up, answer their questions, help a fellow GN owner out, or move on to the next thread.

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site

Shutter lag and shutter speed are completely different things. The shutter lag is indeed super fast. And the shutter speed is super slow as the OP states. I own DSLR's and thousands of dollars worth of lenses and I too would like to know if there is some program out there that will allow me some manual control over this "phone camera". I would like to get some keepers from this sweet ass phone.If not, I hope the next update will fix this issue along with all the other minor issues that we are finding on this ground breaking device.

People need to chill out on this forum. Quit beating people up, answer their questions, help a fellow GN owner out, or move on to the next thread.

It would appear that Google/Samsung needed to make some compromises to get super short lag. Making shot time decisions is what causes lag.

Of course changing the shutter speed manually and moving it up to a faster speed would probably make for photos that are very dark or just black. The lens on this phone isn't that fast.

2waterfowl

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site

Compromises I understand. I haven't had any real issues with this camera while taking outdoor shots like the ones shown earlier... Well lit shots are great too... I would just like to get some shots to come out while taking photos indoors while using the flash. There's plenty of room with the exposure compensation with flash use to increase the shutter speed so the photos come out clearer. But hey, in the meantime, I'll grab my "camera" most of the time... And pull my "phone" out, cross my fingers, and shoot those unplaned photo opportunities and hope for some luck that I get one keeper.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

I think it is unrealistic to expect a smartphones camera to have the same performance and quality that an actual digital camera has. Physically it is simply not possible.

byrds8

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

I think it is unrealistic to expect a smartphones camera to have the same performance and quality that an actual digital camera has. Physically it is simply not possible.

True but you sure can expect it to be a lot better than the Nexus. Yes there are worse and yes there are better. The whole "its a smartphone" argument is moot. Everyone knows it is a phone. Its primary purpose might not be for taking pictures but I bet if your data speeds were only creeping or it had a really slow CPU in it people would be complaining while others saying "its a phone get a computer if you want something better." Fact of the matter is its not just a phone anymore. Its an all in one device. People want quality in what they buy. If there is something they know out there that has better parts in it and at the same time its older than what they just bought they are going to say something about it and wonder why. Its just the way it is.

AdamHLG

Trusted Member
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
This is an unbelievable thread. All the OP wants to know is whether there is an app or tweak to get a faster shutter speed. I would like to know also.

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site

Unbelievable thread.

Just to clarify, shutter lag and shutter speed are two completed different things. But I agree with the responses that point out that this is just a phone camera and is far more sensitive to available lighting issues as a result.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87