Nova Launcher Questions

Toddzilla#WN

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I've done a forum search and I'm sorry for the noob question, but I'm thinking of getting the GN and coming from Blackberry. I want to install Nova Launcher, but the link to it (http://www.droid-life.com/2011/12/16...to-new-levels/) mentions downloading it as a system app versus an apk for widget drawer use. What's the difference between a system app and apk? Does the phone have to be rooted to load a system app?

Also, do you have to disable the stock launcher to use Nova and how would you do that?

Thanks in advance!

jpprice

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
On stock ICS, you can swipe right in the app drawer and get to a widget drawer that shows all your available widgets right there in the drawer. If you want this on Nova Launcher you have to install it as a system app. Otherwise you have to click on the widget tab and it will give you an ugly list off all your widgets. That is the only difference. Your phone will have to be rooted in order to install it as a system app.

You don't have to disable the stock launcher. In fact, there is an option inside Nova settings that lets you switch back and forth between launchers

anon(160997)

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
You download the .apk file and have to place it in your system folder and change the permissions, which requires root. The good thing is the Nexus has been out long enough there have been painless methods developed for rooting and unrooting. As for disabling the stock launcher, you'll be able to choose which launcher to use after installing Nova.

Sent from my Galaxy Sexus using Tapatalk

Toddzilla#WN

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Thank you both for your help. I want Nova but I think I'll wait because I need to learn Android before rooting. Baby steps!

Thanks again.

Guardsix

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
Oh, come on! If you get a Galaxy Nexus you have to use Nova Launcher even if you don't root which I certainly haven't done. Nova Launcher is free right now while the developer builds it but it will probably cost some once it's done but it works just fine right now.

The only difference between IOS on the iPhone and an Android phone are the Android widgets. There's nothing hard or difficult about the Android ICS OS. Just experiment and have fun!

Toddzilla#WN

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I'll toy around with the ICS (and Android for that matter) then I'll probably load the Nova as an apk and just accept the goofy widget drawer. Maybe in time I'll get the nerve to root.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I am rooted custom rom and everything...but no nova for me....don't see the need, but that my preference.
I don't even use adw launcher either.

I find myself using the market shortcut icon in the app list more cause it's there and nova doesn't have this yet :(

yosteve

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
The best thing about nova is being able to change your icons to anything. unless that's a stick thing, I dunno it's been so long since stock.