Where is 4.0.4 OTA?

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I hope this release (if and when we get it) will rectify some issues - especially the damn volume debacle.

anon(257429)

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I manage a group of software V&V engineers. We're under as much time pressure as anyone else. When the testing phase is complete, it be rolled out. I'm fairly sure no one is sitting on a release. This is business. And one with stiff competition and high stakes. My bet is that their validation group is putting in some long hours.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

But what are they validating? I mean its the Google Nexus... Is pure vanilla Android. They are not testing their apps or skins or bloatware. The only thing they should be concerned about is their LTE radios. Which if they are having that much problems, its should be Samsung involved.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I don't know folks - I unlocked and loaded up 4.04 - my random reboots are gone, radio signal is two to three times better everywhere, the 3G/4G flip is gone, sound is improved, battery life is better and the rom itself is faster in everything (especially the browser).

I agree, those things improved for me also. The radio signal improvement I believe is just cosmetic. I have more bars but, the data signal is still weak and I rarely get 4G speeds in my home.

I like everything else about the update. The phones runs smoother and the random reboots are gone. It also rotates (from portait to lanscape) smoother.

Last edited:

dimsdale

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
My advice: Forget about OTA. Let's assume that the 4.0.4 OTA finally gets pushed out to your phone.

By then, the leaked builds will be on 4.0.5. And what about when 4.1 is coming. Surely, VZW will be months behind that as well.

If you are itchy about running the latest and greatest, you'll have to do it yourself, unfortunately.

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
My advice: Forget about OTA. Let's assume that the 4.0.4 OTA finally gets pushed out to your phone.

By then, the leaked builds will be on 4.0.5. And what about when 4.1 is coming. Surely, VZW will be months behind that as well.

If you are itchy about running the latest and greatest, you'll have to do it yourself, unfortunately.

This.

I've been running 4.0.4 for weeks now. The "quick updates" the Nexus is known for do not come OTA, they come by the "Do it yourself" method because it runs stock and all you have to do is flash the most recent vanilla android build to be up on the times. OTA still puts you ahead of the game compared to other cell phones out there, but not very quickly.

Lakhota

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Have the custom roms resolved the.multi touch issue with gaming? 3 months in and gaming is still impossible because of this issue.

ejaymd11

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Because they are different phones?

GSM Nexus =/= LTE Nexus.

We never got 4.0.3 because it was meant for the Nexus S to upgrade it to ICS.

4.0.4 is an update specific to the LTE Nexus.

The 4.0.5 update that is rumored to come out next month is also rumored to be for the GSM nexus so those holdin their breath for that one should take that into consideration as well. Rumors could be wrong, sure.

And all this nothing but BS speculation that you made up in your head. If 4.0.3 was for the Nexus S then why is it the current LTE version? 4.0.4 is update specific to the LTE Nexus? You know this how? Rumors and speculation is wrong.

Sprint is a different carrier, not to mention AFAIK this phone isnt even on the market yet. Whether or not is has the same hardware was the Verizon LTE Nexus, IDK.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Not to burst bubbles here but us fellow Nexus S 4g owners are still waiting for official ICS anything to be released.... Sure we have a good dozen or more custom ROMs built from source on 4.0.2/4.0.3 and the leaked 4.0.4 and they run great but we still haven't been given what we were promised in the first place and that was ICS and now other devices that are NON-NEXUS devices are getting ICS before we do....

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
The bottom line for me is that even with some of the existing issues, ICS is still the best stock OS going. I would rather have ICS with the radio issues (the only issue I really have) than a perfect Gingerbread. So, if this is more like a beta test, I am happy to be a beta tester!

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
This.

I've been running 4.0.4 for weeks now. The "quick updates" the Nexus is known for do not come OTA, they come by the "Do it yourself" method because it runs stock and all you have to do is flash the most recent vanilla android build to be up on the times. OTA still puts you ahead of the game compared to other cell phones out there, but not very quickly.

I've been using the do-it-yourself method with most of my nexus phones. I didn't do it with the Nexus S because I got that phone after launch and received an update fast. I updated my Nexus One manually and didn't have to unlock the bootloader.

SpiffyItalian

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
What would the best ROM to get be for those who want to stay on top of Android OS updates and ICS but who don't want a billion different new customizations or a new interface? Something as close to stock as possible.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
When you update manually, is it like a factory reset wiping all your stuff and starting over?

The update itself doesn't wipe anything out but, you have to unlock your bootloader to be able to do it. When you unlock your bootloader, it will wipe your phone. That's why they say it's always best to unlock your bootloader when you first get your phone if you plan on tweaking it in the future (updated, custom roms, rooting).

trigun123478

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
i wonder if there's a prize for the "millionth and one when's the GN update coming?" thread. you know, like at the grocery store when the balloons fall on you....:confused:

I wonder if you get anything for going into every thread and saying something like this or, why didn't you use the search function(nagging wife voice). Get a life and get over it,People are going to keep posting new threads about the same subject. There are 400 million threads it's easy to over look them.

FishPharm

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone noticed if the lag with typing is fixed with the update? Even though mine still remember what buttons I'm hitting when the lag is in effect it still very distracting and annoying.

Fahrenheit

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone noticed if the lag with typing is fixed with the update? Even though mine still remember what buttons I'm hitting when the lag is in effect it still very distracting and annoying.

This is fixed in 4.0.4 for sure. I hated the stock keyboard in 4.0.2, so I bought SwiftKey X. It works well. But now that I loaded 4.0.4 I went back to stock keyboard. Though I miss some of the prediction functionality in Swiftkey.

VetteDude

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Well, don't expect that. I manage a group of more than 50 web developers and programmers and I joke that any program with more than 4 lines of code in it has bugs. I'm only half joking because there's a lot of truth in there.

Poor Microsoft. Windows 8 has like 1,000,000+ lines of code.