4.0.4 Did you get yours?

willmw

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
Got mine in GA this morning. It may just be atmospheric conditions, but I'm getting 4G here now, where I could only get 3G before. Speedtest showed my 4G download speed at over 4 times as fast as my 3meg DSL over wifi.

Update: I still have 2-3 bars of 4G, so I guess it's not just a fluke. Interesting as Verizon's map doesn't show 4G coverage here yet. At best it shows at least 10 miles away from me. Maybe the rollout is ahead of the map update?

Last edited:

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Just to make sure, I need to rename the SU 4.04 update.zip, place it on her device and update it via recovery, am I right?

For superuser? No. You don't need to rename that anything.

If you want to install manually, download the file via the Google link (or any of the backups) then rename it update.zip and follow the steps.

Also, davey mentioned this in another thread, and now that I've had 2 cups of coffee I can say it makes sense--you probably need to have stock recovery to take the update.

You should be able to flash that easy enough with Wug's, though.

McSlappy

May 13, 2012
Visit site
Yes, root will break when you take the OTA. The superuser app I linked is the only SU app (AFAIK) that will give you root with the new 4.0.4.

If you lose it, it's also linked in my IMM76K update thread.

So if you do the manual update and you still have the Superuser app in your shelf you are still rooted then? Or does Superuser show up even if your not rooted? Is there a method to definitively tell if your rooted or not?

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
So if you do the manual update and you still have the Superuser app in your shelf you are still rooted then? Or does Superuser show up even if your not rooted? Is there a method to definitively tell if your rooted or not?

It will still show up but you won't actually have root access until you flash the new one. There's Root Checker (https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...d=com.joeykrim.rootcheck&hl=en&token=Ge4W8McS), and you could also just use or try using your root only apps (like Root Explorer and stuff like that). It'll tell you fairly quickly if you don't have the ability to grant root/superuser permissions.

menschmaschine5

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Got mine this morning. It's a bit smoother, and I'm now getting LTE in my apartment, where I previously got a fairly weak 3G signal (which I did on my old Dinc as well, so this is a big improvement!). Also, switching between wifi and the mobile network is faster. Verizon tells me that the Cleveland area is pretty well covered with LTE, so hopefully I'll be getting it consistently.

McSlappy

May 13, 2012
Visit site
It will still show up but you won't actually have root access until you flash the new one. There's Root Checker (https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...d=com.joeykrim.rootcheck&hl=en&token=Xrxubohq), and you could also just use or try using your root only apps (like Root Explorer and stuff like that). It'll tell you fairly quickly if you don't have the ability to grant root/superuser permissions.

Okay cool. I don't have any root only apps and don't really have a need to it to be in root. Only reason I rooted from Wug's is because the flashing the update was easier with the phone being rooted. Am I going to need to root to use the ROM Manager and feed my budding flash addiction?

Salacon

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
The update was waiting to be installed this morning when I woke up. The most obvious thing I've noticed is what many others are saying: Switching from 3G to 4G is very quick. For now, though, I don't have much more to report yet.

AndroidRobot

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Got mine this morning and used the mentioned technique to get it for my wife's phone.

VERIZON, WHY DID THIS TAKE 6 MONTHS???!!!?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

McSlappy

May 13, 2012
Visit site
The update was waiting to be installed this morning when I woke up. The most obvious thing I've noticed is what many others are saying: Switching from 3G to 4G is very quick. For now, though, I don't have much more to report yet.

It also swaps very quicky between wi-fi and the Gs as well as between base stations for Wi-Fi.

bmoore0909

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
I've been out of the loop for a few days. Just saw that this started to roll out. I got mine on launch day and still haven't received the update. Bummer.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

CrakkedCrab

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Got mine in Orlando last night. Is anyone else having issues AFTER the update with not being able to install or uninstall apps? I can't even update existing apps, it just hangs up in the process and never completes. :mad:

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

MikeOM

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Got mine during the night. Noticed it at 5 am when work called. I installed it when I woke up around 11 am. Well it installed while hit the bathroom. Seems to handle switching back and forth from 3G to 4G way better then before. No other problems noted.

Location central new jersey.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

abausch

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I got mine today in Portland Oregon, but I had to force it using the "3 click" method mentioned in another post.

alhull

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Worked for me on the second try after having been checking for updates for days without success. Many thanks to the O.P.!

vivek615

May 8, 2012
Visit site
mI tried that same method once a few days ago and then once today ... well after today's attempt I.am now on 4.0.4... and it actuallay boosted signal from -82 to-72. And my phone is definitely even faster which I hadn't thought possible. I thought it was a placebo when I heard but nope. Its really an improvement!