Nexus this, Nexus that. Google using the name too much

Misterb

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Anyone else feel the Nexus name should only be used for the Nexus line of phones? Google has this new tablet they're calling the Nexus. Google also has a new TV set top box called the Nexus. What's next, and where the hell does it end? This just creates confusion, and waters down the importance of the name as it has always represented a very sophisticated and powerful handset.

Knock it off, google.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Anyone else feel the Nexus name should only be used for the Nexus line of phones? Google has this new tablet they're calling the Nexus. Google also has a new TV set top box called the Nexus. What's next, and where the hell does it end? This just creates confusion, and waters down the importance of the name as it has always represented a very sophisticated and powerful handset.

Knock it off, google.

I actually disagree, respectfully of course. You can see what they're doing--they're establishing the Nexus line as their line of "hardware" and optimized software. That ensures that each product reaches a certain Nexus standard. So long as the products do that, I'm 100% ok with it and even welcome it.

Misterb

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I actually disagree, respectfully of course. You can see what they're doing--they're establishing the Nexus line as their line of "hardware" and optimized software. That ensures that each product reaches a certain Nexus standard. So long as the products do that, I'm 100% ok with it and even welcome it.

That makes sense to a certain degree, but I still think this creates confusion. So, a buddy comes over to watch TV, and asks what that odd looking ball connected to your TV is. You tell him it's a Nexus. He replies "I thought your phone was a Nexus?". "It is", you reply. Puzzled look on his face follows. The confusion would be even greater for someone shopping on their own for a product, and not understanding what on earth it all means.

I really don't think your average consumer understands what it means to have a google OS without a skin, and that google is controlling both hardware and software. And, without the average consumer buying these products, there just likely won't be enough sales. Those of us on these forums make up the minority.

Irvgotti

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Noon just brand recognition.. like a macbook. Nike. Away to create loyalty. If you like the nexus phone. U will most likely buy the product because of the name. Why a lot of iPhone users have a mac

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site

Knock it off, google.

I'm sorry...but I never looked at Nexus phones like that. I have been using Android since Mar 2010 with the Droid 1....I eventually learned about the Nexus 1 a few moths later. Starting with the Nexus 1....they were and are like any other smartphone. Newer phones get newer specs and features all the time. Its not like any Nexus phone leapfrogged so much other phones released around the same time in specs. They progressed like every other smartphone.

I always looked at them as phones that are easier to do Android development on...and get faster updates than most if not all other Android phones. Thats it.

I also like the idea of a line of different Nexus products. How cool would it be to one day say your home is ran by Nexus? Nexus doesnt even mean best when looking in the dictionary...Actually....what they are doing now is what Nexus means....one could argue that this was probably their plan all along.

I look at what some luxury car manufacture did recently with making motorcycles and I think station wagons as watering down their name. Then wasnt there a time when ppl complained about the Galaxy S 1 line all having different names in the US? Galaxy S 2 line also. If all Nexus phones were low end, mid range phones when they released...only sold on the smaller carriers....I could agree with what you're saying. IMO....Android on low end phones, tablets is watering down the name Android as a whole.

As for stock Android, pure Google experience phone...whats makes it so much better than a phone with a custom UI? Not talking about custom ROMs or faster updates, just user experience, functions, features? Stock Android and a phone with a custom both have pros n cons the way I see it.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
That makes sense to a certain degree, but I still think this creates confusion. So, a buddy comes over to watch TV, and asks what that odd looking ball connected to your TV is. You tell him it's a Nexus. He replies "I thought your phone was a Nexus?". "It is", you reply. Puzzled look on his face follows. The confusion would be even greater for someone shopping on their own for a product, and not understanding what on earth it all means.

I really don't think your average consumer understands what it means to have a google OS without a skin, and that google is controlling both hardware and software. And, without the average consumer buying these products, there just likely won't be enough sales. Those of us on these forums make up the minority.

For your first point, I understand it--but then why not say "it's a media player called a Nexus Q?" or "it's Nexus 7 tablet"? That way, discussion will open up about what it is.

That relates to your second point. The average consumer may not know what the Nexus program means because there are only what, 3 Nexii phones? Now there are 5 Nexii devices, and with that the consumer will have more opportunities to experience the Nexus program, thus leading to more knowledgeable folks with regards to "stock Android" and the like. Right now, I think that reaching into other markets can only bolster the significance behind a Nexus designation.

Reactions: jroc

Misterb

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Noon just brand recognition.. like a macbook. Nike. Away to create loyalty. If you like the nexus phone. U will most likely buy the product because of the name. Why a lot of iPhone users have a mac

Right, but using your apple example, they have a different name for their products. The Apple TV isn't called an iPhone. The iPad isn't called an iPhone. Google, however, calls their version of the iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV all the same Nexus name. Mind you, Apple is silly with names sometimes too. Calling the third generation iPad just "iPad" is stupid.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Right, but using your apple example, they have a different name for their products. The Apple TV isn't called an iPhone. The iPad isn't called an iPhone. Google, however, calls their version of the iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV all the same Nexus name. Mind you, Apple is silly with names sometimes too. Calling the third generation iPad just "iPad" is stupid.

Emphasis added.

Well, here's how I see the names right now:

• Galaxy Nexus
  • Nexus Q
  • Nexus 7

• iPod
  • iPhone
  • iPad

I hardly see those Nexus names as being "all the same Nexus name." Sure, the Nexus Q and Nexus 7 are only differentiated by one letter... but then we compare the iPad and iPod. Apple chose "Pad" and "Pod," names which directly reference the product that they are. Google chose more abstract names, "Q" (referencing the shape of the device) and "7" (a commonly-accepted moniker for seven-inch tablet devices). Personally, I don't at all resent that. They've chosen good names for good products, tied together by a strong branding that isn't quite as strict as the iProduct denotation.

Reactions: Wildo6882

Irvgotti

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

True. But either way. Its a way to create brand loyalty. And once people buy into it.. it will make them feel more comfortable about their decision. Just the same reason why most people bought the nexus tablet.. its a nexus.. everyone has there signature line. Asus transformer. HTC one . Samsung galaxy etc.
I 100% agree the nexus q needs a different name and would be more confusing with the nexus s

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site

Ever paid attention to Levis? There are LOTS of different types, all simply differentiated by a number. Levis 501 or Levis 505 or whatever. There are even different types of Levis 501s. Miraculously, it seems, people have been able to understand there are different types and the brand has survived.

If people can differentiate between different kinds of Macs or iDevices or Nikes or Levis or whatever, then they can differentiate between the different Nexus devices.

I just don't think people are as stupid as you're making them out to be.

bplewis24

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site

Knock it off, google.

I agree. Just look at Samsung. They confuse the hell out of people and water things down. They started out with one Galaxy line of phones. Then a couple generations later they have a Galaxy player, some phones, and multiple tablets. And just look at how bad it has hurt their sales!

Oh, wait...:confused:

elvisgp

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
The nexus branding meaning has changed since the launch of the nexus one. It is no longer a name that means a developer device, but more of a title that is google's own device, and is based around the play store. plus, if you think the nexus branding is bad, just look at how many galaxy devices there are.

bplewis24

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Its calling branding.

Egg-zachly!

I was talking about this with my cousin a few months ago. He is also my barber and has an Android phone and tablet. When it was rumored that Google was going to have "multiple" OEM's manufacturing their own "Nexus" phones this year, I mentioned that maybe what they are going for is a "brand" that is recognizable by the masses. Samsung has a smash hit on their hands by branding their "Galaxy" line of phones as their top-of-the-line phone. This is very important to the average, uninformed consumer.

Apple has one product of each type. Each year they release one new product of each type, only differing by relatively simple things like storage size and color. They don't really have multiple models and brand lines. So it's easy for the consumer to know which model they want.

Android has 1,000 handsets. Samsung makes a bunch, HTC makes a bunch. How is a consumer to know whether the Nexus S, Wildfire, One X, Inspire, RAZR or whateverthefunk are good phones? Which one is "best?" Which one should I buy? For Samsung, it's easy. The Galaxy line. That's the "best." Each year some consumers eagerly anticipate the announcement of the new Galaxy, even though Samsung still makes other phones.

HTC learned the hard way last year. Released a bunch of phones that were all pretty solid/good (save for a couple) as well as some low-range phones. What happens? The consumer does get confused to a certain extent. They saw what Samsung has done with "Galaxy" and decided to brand their phones for this year and cut back on models. Now what do they have? The "One _" line. It helps.

That is what Google is doing with the Nexus. It's becoming an alternative brand for the pure Google experience. It's the right way to go. More Nexus devices is also more win for us. Two years ago, I thought I'd never have the chance to get another pure Google device again because of my carrier (Verizon). Now, I truly feel like I have options.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
I agree. Just look at Samsung. They confuse the hell out of people and water things down. They started out with one Galaxy line of phones. Then a couple generations later they have a Galaxy player, some phones, and multiple tablets. And just look at how bad it has hurt their sales!

Oh, wait...:confused:

And look at companies like Sony and Panasonic that have multiples types of audio and visual equipment -- HOW WILL PEOPLE KEEP FROM BEING CONFUSED?

WHO WILL THINK OF THE PEOPLE? WHY IS GOOGLE SO EVIL AS TO CONFUSE US ALL?

_JKK_

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Nexus is Google's hardware line for Android-powered devices that they either make themselves, or that they source out to other companies and then rebrand. I don't think they use it to much - does Apple use the word "Mac" to much?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87