On my 6th GNEX ...has anyone ever got one that's a Phone?

bridger2001

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
OK, I'm on my 6th "phone" from Verizon. Yes..the 6th.

I'm a victim of the dreaded Microphone Cut Out Problem (MCOP) and it's killing me. This one I received on Saturday and the FIRST DANG CALL i made on it dropped the mic.

Has anyone gone through this and actually finally received a working phone?

Verizon wants to put me in a Rezound. I played with one yesterday in the store..no offense to rezound owners, but i might as well get a Cricket phone instead..

Is there hope that i will ever get a working phone? Looking for a success story (if it exists).

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Both of mine have been fine. The only reason I got a replacement is because I dropped the one I got on launch day and broke the screen.

trailblazen

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site

bridger2001

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Dims..no actually #3 had the radio reboot issue...that was in April before 4.0.4 came out. the other 5 have all had the MCOP. I've tried resetting the device, un-installing all the apps, hours on the phone with tech support...etc..etc...

woody_105

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I will be on #5, in the mail getting delivered tomorrow and they all suffered from the mic cut out problem. Some were within minutes of making a phone call and others would take about 10-15 mins then would cut out. #4 was the best by far because it went about 3 weeks with no problems at all then it started squelching, cracking and cut outs.

bridger2001

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Dang woody, sounds like we are in the same boat. Very similar experience.

I wish you luck. My verizon rep is balking at giving me a discount on an S3..it's a nice device but still no GNex. i hate to give up, but it's not looking promising.

EJT

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Both of mine worked great as phones. The first one went back because when they launched LTE in my area, it couldn't hold radios for more than ten minutes without dropping all signals. Worked fine on CDMA only though. Second one is dead nuts.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Same here except it took me a week to drop mine :sly:

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I got a good three months out of mine before I dropped it. I've dropped this newer one, too, but luckily there's no damage other than some minor scratches.

trailblazen

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
I got a good three months out of mine before I dropped it. I've dropped this newer one, too, but luckily there's no damage other than some minor scratches.

Same here except it took me a week to drop mine :sly:

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Both of mine have been fine. The only reason I got a replacement is because I dropped the one I got on launch day and broke the screen.

Why I will be buying a Otterbox Defender like I do with every phone I get. This will be phone #4 I have bought a defender for and swear by them. My phones have dropped, had fallen from desks, knocked out of holster and not a single scratch on any phone I have owned and used a otter on. They also back their cases too and will replace something if it breaks within the first year.

rufflez

Banned
Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
No issues with release day one I have here. Dropped it several times (even stepped on it twice on a treadmill). I was thinking this phone is probably the most durable phone I've ever had... but then again, out of all the phones I've had, I've only broken 1 screen (hero... 1 week before Samsung Epic released which replaced it... still worked).

CallerHoller

May 9, 2010
Visit site

LOL! Same here. I dropped my first GNex 3 times in the first week. I took it back claiming it rebooted all day. However there wasn't anything wrong with it, other than the cracks in put in it.
After the radio update in IMM30B I've been happy as he'll.

_JKK_

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Bought mine launch day, and I haven't had any issues at all... Bought another a few weeks ago, still no issues on that.

Is this a vocal minority, or am I (and people lucky enough to get a device without issues) the exception to the rule?

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I have gone though 5 Gnex since launch and haven't had a microphone problem. 1 had an issue with the radio cutting in and out and the others were just cosmetic issues or bad notification lights.

eharty

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
The signal on my GNex is weaker than my wife's Maxx but it usually doesn't create problems. I did swap it out for a new one to see if I could get a stronger radio/antenna and it could not keep a data connection for more that about 30 seconds. I went back to Best Buy and got my original GNex back.

I also have an S3 and surprisingly the signal strength is about the same as the GNex. My last phone was a Samsung Epic 4G on Sprint. It always was a little weak in signal but I assumed it was Sprint...looks like it may be a Samsung thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress