Replacing a Galaxy Nexus

buckie bo

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
My daughter recently dropped her nexus and cracked the screen. After deciding this fix was not for me and the cost to replace the screen being rather high, we "upgraded" her using one of the "buddy" upgrades on our corp account to another nexus.

I plan on rooting the phone..which was updated to 4.04 already to JB. My question is, should I go ahead and activate the phone first and then root and upgrade and try and transfer all of her stuff over or root, upgrade and then activate?

No big hurry, the phone that is cracked is still usable but, wanted to get a plan of action in place. I am also going to get her a case so this doesnt happen again so, there is no real rush here.

Any help is much appreciated!

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
My daughter recently dropped her nexus and cracked the screen. After deciding this fix was not for me and the cost to replace the screen being rather high, we "upgraded" her using one of the "buddy" upgrades on our corp account to another nexus.

I plan on rooting the phone..which was updated to 4.04 already to JB. My question is, should I go ahead and activate the phone first and then root and upgrade and try and transfer all of her stuff over or root, upgrade and then activate?

No big hurry, the phone that is cracked is still usable but, wanted to get a plan of action in place. I am also going to get her a case so this doesnt happen again so, there is no real rush here.

Any help is much appreciated!

As a general rule of thumb, I always (and always advise) to activate a new device first (and set it up, to some extent) before unlocking/rooting.

buckie bo

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
I thought so but, wanted to make sure! I may just wait till I get the case for the phone and then do it all at once.

Appreciate the help!

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I thought so but, wanted to make sure! I may just wait till I get the case for the phone and then do it all at once.

Appreciate the help!

No worries :). I've seen enough threads by folks who have done the opposite (unlocked/rooted/flashed before activation) to know that it's probably not a safe idea.

Good luck and let me/us know if you'd like any help!

buckie bo

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
Well, so much for waiting..had nothing better to do than watch the hurricane coverage so, decided to go ahead..activate and update

Everything seems......to have gone well......until.......I tried to update to JB

I did use the toolkit for root unlock the bootloader...went fine.

I then, following the instructions from here

Code:
http://rootzwiki.com/topic/28677-rom-jelly-belly-v67-08272012-jellybean-411-pure-aosp-its-all-about-the-butter/

tried to do step 1
1. flash JB bootloader (if you haven't already - this helps JB roms, not required though)

I used the toolkit to flash the bootloader.img to the phone....which seems to have went ok (no errors in the toolkit)

I then went to step two and three

2. wipe data (if coming from ANY other rom)
3. wipe cache

Here is where something isnt right...when booting into recovery...I get the start message but the phone seems locked up.
Upper left hand corner says ODIN MODE

Under the Android Icon it says downloading..do not turn off target. It does seem to be locked up...none of the buttons are working and I cannot see that anything is being dled.

I dont want to do a battery pull or anything else until I get some info from you guys about wth has went wrong!

Maybe Im missing something simple here?

Hold on...soon as I sent that..I pressed power and it rebooted into recovery.......going to wipe now and see what happens.

It was downloading for every bit of 30 mins so, not sure what happeneed

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
It appears you only held down volume down and not BOTH volume up AND down.

To manually get into the bootloader, and thus, to manually get into recovery, do this:

[INFO]
  1. Hold down the VOLUME UP, VOLUME DOWN, and POWER button simultaneously when the phone is powered down.
  2. Use the VOLUME toggle to find "Recovery Mode."
  3. Press the POWER button to select the Recovery Mode.
[/INFO]

I would pull the battery, go into recovery that way, and then continue follow the steps. That wipe data step? Do it like 6 times. Trust me :). Then wipe cache. The format system under mounts/storage.

For other guidance, see our general flashing threads and the JB Now thread :).

buckie bo

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I edited my post about the time I sent it..not sure you seen my response but, thank you!

When I sent the post, I hit the power key, it rebooted into recovery...maybe I did not hold it down like I should have...never seen that happen before on some other devices.

Anyway, did the wipe as you suggested, flashed JB and apps...all good!

Couple of last questions just so I can make notes of what I have done here. I tell you, this makes me want to get the entire family on the same device so I dont have to remember so much...too many different phones and tablets

Now, I did a backup using the toolkit which I take it is suggested should I take this back to stock for whatever reason in the future.

If I were to have to do that it can be done thru the tookit or the recovery..correct?

Second, the jb bootloader. It asked me if I wanted to flash permanently or temp...I chose permanent and I am assuming that was correct....correct?

I did not bother to backup all her crap..one it should be in google when she signs into her account and her contacts and apps can be restored from that and google play...correct?

I had her using the free version of "my backup" and it expired so, oh well! I dont see any reason the apps cant be redownloaded and I know from a previous update her contacts will come back from signing into google.

Anything else you would suggest going forward? I am going to read up on JB tomorrow..my first glance is it doesnt "look" much different from ICS but, Im sure that the best part of it is in its operation and not its "look"

Thanks again for all the help...much appreciated

Now, I guess I need to order that case already!!:):D

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I edited my post about the time I sent it..not sure you seen my response but, thank you!

No problem :)

When I sent the post, I hit the power key, it rebooted into recovery...maybe I did not hold it down like I should have...never seen that happen before on some other devices.

It happens, no worries!

Anyway, did the wipe as you suggested, flashed JB and apps...all good!

Good!

Couple of last questions just so I can make notes of what I have done here. I tell you, this makes me want to get the entire family on the same device so I dont have to remember so much...too many different phones and tablets

Now, I did a backup using the toolkit which I take it is suggested should I take this back to stock for whatever reason in the future.

If I were to have to do that it can be done thru the tookit or the recovery..correct?

Sort of. It can be done through the toolkit or through fastboot. I have a guide for the latter ("Return to Stock").

Second, the jb bootloader. It asked me if I wanted to flash permanently or temp...I chose permanent and I am assuming that was correct....correct?

Are you sure it wasn't asking about CWM Recovery? Regardless, permanent is the correct choice. You can always change the bootloader with fastboot!

I did not bother to backup all her crap..one it should be in google when she signs into her account and her contacts and apps can be restored from that and google play...correct?

App data will be gone, but contacts and stuff will restore and apps will download.

I had her using the free version of "my backup" and it expired so, oh well! I dont see any reason the apps cant be redownloaded and I know from a previous update her contacts will come back from signing into google.

The apps should restore via "Market Restore." It's an option you'll see in the setup thinger...something like "Restore from Google account yada yada."

Anything else you would suggest going forward? I am going to read up on JB tomorrow..my first glance is it doesnt "look" much different from ICS but, Im sure that the best part of it is in its operation and not its "look"

Come to the root subforum and read up, particularly my Don't Panic guide, the JB Now stuff, and generally any and all rom threads. I have a feeling you won't be on Jelly Belly for long :).

Thanks again for all the help...much appreciated

Now, I guess I need to order that case already!!:):D

My responses are in bold, and no problem, it's how we roll at AC :).

buckie bo

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
Thanks again boss, time for Dad to put this phone now and get some rest!

Again, I and SHE cannot thank you enough...you will see me around!

buckie bo

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
Im back...like a nightmare that keeps happening over and over!

Question of the day....I know the official JB is now out for the nexus....great!...Since I finally got her phone updated to JB thanks again for the wonderful help of those in this thread/forum...is there ANY reason I should even think about pushing the "official" update or leave well enough alone? From what I have read...I think well enough alone is the answer but want to check.

Now then, more importantly, I am now a GN user myself...received it yesterday and it has already updated to JB after I activated it. Reading the forums, getting a tad confused about what do I need to do THIS phone to get it rooted?

Looking at this thread
Code:
I Entered A Incorrect Link

Which was started in December, seems to be the most likely way but, wanted to check before going further. I "thought" that using WUGS program
would be the way to go but, perhaps Im missing something?

Thanks again! (figured hitting up my old thread was better than starting another one...hope Im right about that part!)

Last edited:

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Im back...like a nightmare that keeps happening over and over!

Question of the day....I know the official JB is now out for the nexus....great!...Since I finally got her phone updated to JB thanks again for the wonderful help of those in this thread/forum...is there ANY reason I should even think about pushing the "official" update or leave well enough alone? From what I have read...I think well enough alone is the answer but want to check.

Now then, more importantly, I am now a GN user myself...received it yesterday and it has already updated to JB after I activated it. Reading the forums, getting a tad confused about what do I need to do THIS phone to get it rooted?

Looking at this thread
Code:
http://androidforums.com/verizon-galaxy-nexus-all-things-root/469049-how-root-vzw-lte-samsung-galaxy-nexus.html

Which was started in December, seems to be the most likely way but, wanted to check before going further. I "thought" that using WUGS program
would be the way to go but, perhaps Im missing something?

Thanks again! (figured hitting up my old thread was better than starting another one...hope Im right about that part!)

I don't usually use other place's stuff, but I do know what you need to do to unlock and root Jelly Bean.

Please look here:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...root-verizon-galaxy-nexus-16.html#post2183926

:)

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Just read that exact post I linked; it's updated fully for Jelly Bean :).

If you have any questions, please direct them there so we have it all in one place. Thanks!

shipetotec

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
Hiya. New to this forum. Have a question more closely associated to the first question. I dropped my nexus and the screen degraded to unreadable. weighing up the options I went for a new device (same model) All seemed in order until I went to call some work contacts. It appears all of my gmail contacts are fine however it has not syned across any of my manually eneterd contacts (i know foolish not to have backed up when I had time). The old phone still works (just no working screen)
My question

Is there some way to extract the contacts data via a USB to my pc (as a file) and then upload it to my new device in the same manner?

Many Thanks in Advance

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87