The three week issue

shamokin

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
I've owned a GN since January. I had family give me Visa gift cards for XMas to specifically use for the Nexus. Instantly I knew this was a phone I could hang on to for two or even three years easily. This post is not to wreck on the GN. I still have my GN and I'm very reluctant to replace it. I'm really hoping Verizon will work with me to fix these issues I am having. I'm posting for maybe some advice, and to just share these recent experiences.

After about three months I began experiencing charging issues with my GN. The phone wouldn't charge with the original charger, so I purchased another, a travel charge that seemed to work. After about a month that also stopped, but for some reason the original began working again. I was soon going back and forth between the two for another few weeks before in mid August the phone stopped charging completely, this was with the extended battery as well.

I called Verizon looking for a replacement and they happily obliged. Within a few days the replacement GN stopped charging with all chargers. Calling for a second replacement tech support assumed the charger itself could be damaging the ports so they shipped a new one as well. A third phone arrived the next day and I noticed a complete 4G data drop every 15 to 20 minutes. An new issue I had not experienced before in my previous phones. My service area (Philadelphia) was in good working order so another replacement was sent along with a new SIM card.

GN number four is the device I'm on now and I'm currently having the same issue as number three, a complete 4G data drop. Its not as frequent as the third GN, but it does happen without dropping to 3G, but instead losing all data connection for around 30 seconds until it reconnects to 4G.

I called Verizon once again and they said yet another replacement may not be the answer, instead they put a ticket in to check my service area. This was over a week ago. I've explained to them I have friends with Verizon GN's and they are not experiencing the 4G data drop. I've also left the Philadelphia area multiple times and the data drop has continued to occur. I spoke to Verizon this morning and they explained it will take another 10 days to check the network in my area, and put a ticket in for the area I'm currently vacationing in and still experiencing the data drop.

So this is my three week issue so far. I can be watching a YouTube video and suddenly lose data and have to wait the few seconds to reconnect. 3G works fine, but I love the 4G experience and I'm not going to settle for that. I asked today what happens next if the network comes back working fine? The tech explaining 4G is iffy and his Bionic does the same thing. At that point I felt as if I was being B.S.ed and called him on it. My plan is to wait the 10 days out and when nothing changes demand we work something out, as I no longer have faith in their refurbished GNs. They offered a Razor, but I explained I'm very invested in the GN. I have expensive cases and accessories, that aren't financially easy for me to replace for a new phone model. I think my chances are slim if I demand a new GN out of box, but maybe its worth a shot?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Edwill86

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I had similar issues with my tbolt when I first got it.. ended up being corrupted data on my sim card from vzw. I have not had these issues with my gnex, just seems like bad luck. Also I HAVE NEVER had a good "like new" replacement from vzw. every one they ever sent me has been worse then the last. I sent back 4 thunderbolts and ended up keeping my original to give to my parents because it had the least issues out of all the ones they sent as a replacement.....

you may benefit from flashing the new radio if you dont already have it.

good luck

shamokin

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
I think Verizon has a bad batch of phones to replace the GN. I've never rooted before, but I also realize it is not much of an undertaking. I've been more then happy simply running Nova launcher on ICS. Without getting into the whole GN is made to be rooted argument, frankly I feel for 90 bucks a month its B.S. that I have to fix the issue, breaking my warranty which is the only protection I have at the moment.

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
It should be noted that rooting didn't break the warranty.

It should also be noted that the new radios that came out last week give better performance for most.

shamokin

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
I understand you can always flash back to stock. I'm going to root and get the better radios when I get home tonight. Its starting to seem like I have no other choice.

Don1713

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
I also got the run around from verizon on the 4g data drops. After many replacements all having this issue they opened a network ticket and after waiting over a week I called back to be told they determined it must be an issue with the phone...

I was offered the razr but I just wanted a gnex that worked. It took 11 phones but I finally got one that works. Be patient and nice to the verizon technical support people as you may be spending a lot of time with them.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
The 4G data drop is nothing new. Read back through some of the earlier posts and you'll see it's a known issue. I went through 2 phones before the issue was fixed. They checked my area as well, even though there were no issues with other 4G phones in the house.

Just keep swapping it until you get a good one; eventually you will.

shamokin

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Does any one know if flashing new radios fixes the problem? I'm planning to try.

tundradave24

May 25, 2012
Visit site
Keep us posted if this works after you try the new radios . I also have had the exact same problems as you. Three like new replacements sent each worse than the next . I too got offered the razr which I don't like as much and view as a step down. Also my batteries and cases money will be wasted . I'm just going to buy out my etf if these radios don't fix this issue . Verizon apparently doesn't value its customers so why give them my money i will just snag an gs3 from att

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

shamokin

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
I didn't end up rooting as I read in another thread the new roms do not have updated radios. 4.0.4 is the latest from what I understand. I called Verizon and demanded another replacement, they sent and 4G holds. The screen has that purplish tint at 25% brightness, but I'm going to live with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa