I started getting this two-note bell tone notification...

dpeebler

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone else experienced this? It happens at random times, for no apparent reason.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Re: I started getting this two-note bell time notification...

I have on very rare occasions. Happened for like an hour once whenever I picked up/put down the phone. That was a long time ago, since then every once in a while but no idea what causes it, and it's never bothered me enough or lasted long enough that I cared to investigate, lol.

dpeebler

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
Not that I can think of, but I guess I'll go through anything I've downloaded in the last month or so and check again.

Thanks.

Last edited:

latt45

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
I have experienced this and finally figured out what was making the sound. It was my Metro Pass that I use to ride the subway making the NFC activate on the phone. When I would place my phone on top of my wallet (where I keep the card) it would make this weird sound. I guess there is a chip inside my Metro Pass that inadvertently activated the NFC in my phone. I would assume that similar technologies would also falsely activate the NFC (such as a FOB to enter a building or parking garage).

dpeebler

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
I checked and NFC is turned off... And it's not telling me the battery is charged because it happens even when not charging. Aaarggh!

nextmill

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Running Jelly Bean on Galaxy Nexus Verizon as well and ever since upgrading to JB I get the two tone bell tone alert multiple times a day. NFC is turned off, and occurs while running on battery, so its some program making a notification. No new emails arriving when it occurs, no notifications in dropdown, LightFlow has no alert sounds set except for SMS. Would love to get this to stop, luckily no other alerts use such a tone so when I hear it I just ignore it for now since I know its not a text.

nextmill

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Just found out its yahoo mail that uses the bell tone for new email. Just go to options inside yahoo mail and set the sound to none if on are like me and don't use it as my primary email address

dpeebler

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
I was just going onto the site to tell you the same thing! I don't know how you figured it out, but I was in the Yahoo mail app, opened an email right when the notification sound started, and stopped it in mid "ding-ding." I could have sworn I'd already checked that.

Thanks again.

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
I believe the answer to your question is that your phone with the Jelly Bean update now has Google Now. It will ring and vibrate every now and then to let you know of some location or time-based event.

qbot101

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
Just found out its yahoo mail that uses the bell tone for new email. Just go to options inside yahoo mail and set the sound to none if on are like me and don't use it as my primary email address

I was just going onto the site to tell you the same thing! I don't know how you figured it out, but I was in the Yahoo mail app, opened an email right when the notification sound started, and stopped it in mid "ding-ding." I could have sworn I'd already checked that.

Thanks again.

Thanks for this tip. I stumbled upon this suggestion when I did a Google search on the issue. I was hearing the annoying alert tone on my Galaxy Note II. It drove me insane nearly a month. I had the app not to display in the notification bar but I didn't notice the alert settings.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38