My Gnex is HOT - Temperature wise

Dame95

Sep 1, 2010
www.OmenDesigns.com
The past 2 weeks or so, My VZ GNex has been getting really hot. Not warm. HOT.
I am running stock 4.1.1, with 12GB free memory, and 200MB of RAM being used.
I have only the bare minimum of apps running in the background, and am on Wifi. I keep the screen brightness on Auto or Halfway.
Usually I will notice it when I take the phone out of my pocket, but today the phone was just sitting on my desk and it was hot when I picked it up.
If I happen to watch a video or play a game on Wifi or 4G I can barely hold the phone because it heats up so much.
My battery also gets zapped when this happens. I checked my battery usage, and aside from the Screen and Android OS, my Exchange email client was pulling in a lot of juice. I changed the update settings from Push to 15 min intervals, hoping this would calm things down, but it hasn't seemed to help.
Again, I have only noticed the phone getting hot within the past 2 weeks or so...

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this, or has any suggestions as to what may be causing it to heat up so much.
I have had the random reboot issues that some others have had, but the phone has not yet restarted due to it overheating.

Thanks in advance for any help!

TylerLucas

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Well phones get hot after use and if it's using data while the screen is off that'll make it hot too. Do you know the temperature? Because if it actually hurts to the touch that is a problem. Maybe download BBS and see if a rogue application is causing the phone to not sleep and use exorbitant amount of data, that'll make it hot. Stuff like factory resetting may help, but try to troubleshoot the problem. If all else fails, might just be a physical defect.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Mine routinely goes to about 103 degrees Fahrenheit while doing anything that requires the use of the radios and I have a weak signal (which is most of the time with this thing).

Edwill86

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
unless it hits the thermal throttler max and shuts down from being too hot "there is no problem with the device" - Verizon tech support

when mine gets too hot I normally lock it and let it sit for a few min inactive. the radios with the weak signal are the main reason for over heating. can still happen on wifi when during hard use.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Agreed with what has been said here already. Devices today can get very hot. Lots of goodies packed under the hoods of these things and they do get hot and generate some extreme heat when asked to perform for us.

LTE radios, those will certainly turn up the heat.

Gaming, sure that cranks up the processor/graphics to the max and in turn generates some good heat...

Combined with the fact any time the radios, processor, etc are performing at peak levels its tapping that battery and causing a heavier discharge so there is another heat source...

I personally believe your device is fine, I've had it happen with all my devices at one point or another. Just set them down for a few and let it cool off and all is okay... As mentioned here most devices have a battery or temperature cutoff " warning " that will pop up too...

dcastillo

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
There's a chance you have a bug in the exchange server app.. many , including myself had this in the past. Remove any exchange emails you are using and restart the phone...

I bet if you check your data usage settings... the exchange server is at the top as well...

-danny

sent from a Nexus, nothing less will do...

Dame95

Sep 1, 2010
www.OmenDesigns.com
Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I did see the peak from the exchange, and removed and restarted it. That seems to have done the trick. Don't know why I didn't try that sooner...
It's been a few days - I have been using the phone the same as usual, and am glad to say that it has not been nearly as hot as it had been getting.
At times I couldn't hold it to my ear because it was uncomfortably hot. I seriously thought something was going to melt, or the phone was just going to fry and shut off for good.
Anyways - Thanks again - I knew I could count on the community!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87