News & Weather "Weather not available" after OTA

Armada

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
The News & Weather app refuses to pull in weather data no matter how I choose my location. Clearing data, force stopping, disabling/enabling all didn't change anything. I don't want to have to suck my battery dry with Google Now to get weather, nor do I want another app.

Anyone have this problem and have you solved it?

Armada

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I just want to keep it simple. Backing up my data and doing a factory reset might fix it. If not, it might be time to go to a ROM again.

biggbrother2

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
Consider how much more Google Now has to sync and find relevant compared to just news and weather data.
That alone isn't enough evidence to conclude that Google Now uses more battery. They are different products and Google Now was created recently versus the Weather & News widget which is essentially unchanged since Android 2.0. I'm assuming that Google Now has been coded to be very lean. I never even see it show up in my Battery usage stats.

Armada

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
That alone isn't enough evidence to conclude that Google Now uses more battery. They are different products and Google Now was created recently versus the Weather & News widget which is essentially unchanged since Android 2.0. I'm assuming that Google Now has been coded to be very lean. I never even see it show up in my Battery usage stats.

To provide a counterpoint: have you been tracking the code changes for News & Weather since 2.0? How can you make the claim it is unchanged and not coded lean? Also, if you really want me to I could collect empirical evidence over, say, 2 weeks if it'll make you happy. But to be honest, I just want my widget back. I don't want Google Now, I don't want it using my data and battery resources, and I don't want it pestering and tracking me. If you know how to restore the functionality of News & Weather, I'd like to know but this thread isn't about Google Now's battery consumption nor is it about getting me to change my weather widget. Sorry, but it's not helpful to me or relevant to go back and forth over this.

EDIT: I decided to turn on Google Now and see how it affects my battery life. If it really is negligible I'll use it if I can't get News & Weather back.

Last edited:

nedzimmerman

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Weather still updates, but all newsfeeds are stuck on March 24. Using a Nexus 7. Hope they fix the ap. Have emailed them, but no response. Clearing cache and force stopping the ap has no effect. Have the old Google version 1.3.04 on a phone that works. Go figure!?

Last edited: