Demo units arrive in Verizon Store.

Markster1

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
So if u bought a ford truck, would u be upset if they had a huge ford logo painted on the hood?? FORD. Just saying. Seems similar type of advertisement going on

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I've got a huge Chevrolet sign on the back of my tailgate! LOL

The Nottinator

chuckawd

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site

All of that atrociouseness goes away when you make use of that 411hp powerplant!! Same with the Note 2. I'm one of the few that likes the home button branded. I wouldn't buy a Mercedes AMG if it was all debagded. I'm proud to let everyone know I'm using the best phone for me on the best network in the US.

Sent from AOSP Thundershed powered 4GLTE Thunderbolt

miiike

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
All of that atrociouseness goes away when you make use of that 411hp powerplant!! Same with the Note 2. I'm one of the few that likes the home button branded. I wouldn't buy a Mercedes AMG if it was all debagded. I'm proud to let everyone know I'm using the best phone for me on the best network in the US.

Sent from AOSP Thundershed powered 4GLTE Thunderbolt

That's funny. A lot of people who mod their cars de-badge them. On the other hand, there are a lot who proudly love their maker and display it (the I <3 My Honda stickers come to mind).

I'm in the "who cares" camp. If I cared I wouldn't be buying it from VZ at all.

MittenSportsFan

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Son of a bish! Well now I don't know what to do. It's not that it's a feature that makes of breaks the phone but when I take the sum o things VZW has done with this phone from delayed launch, logo on home button, locked bootloader, and now this, I just can't bring myself to support that by buying it. It's the principle of it. Ill probably either pass or look at moving my five lines to AT&T. The SGS III has the feature, why screw with it.
sorry for going off topic with such a long message...
JoJo,
I know you say that the continuous scrolling home screens are not a make or break feature but that would really cause you to not get the GN2 or leave Verizon?
You indicated that it is one of 4 factors:
1.) Delayed launch:
This is a business decision based on a couple of factors:
A.) Commitment to launch window for Verizon Exclusive Droid Brand
When AT&T had an exclusive relationship with Apple for the iPhone Verizon partnered with a few Android phone manufacturers to create the Droid Brand.
That brand was the marketing foundation for fighting the iPhone and Verizon is committed to supporting that brand.
Samsung has committed to a business strategy of being a volume brand and sell more devices than any other manufacturer.
They are going to leverage their brands and platforms and sell them through whatever channel is willing. The Galaxy Note 2 is being launched on just about every US carrier (5 to be exact) and numerous around the world.
Verizon is not in the business to sell phones. They want to use phones as a draw to bring more subscribers to it's network and keep those subscribers to use their service. It can do that with exclusive phones that are not available on other networks.
If an AT&T customer really wants the GN2 they just get it on AT&T, there is no reason to even look at Big Red.
But if an AT&T customer is smitten with a Droid RAZR MAXX HD or Droid DNA they will have to come to Verizon.
So there was a scheduling conflict with Verizon and Samsung.
Samsung planned a US launch of the GN2 for the end of October while Verizon committed a wide exclusive window to launch the RAZR Family (M, RAZR HD, RAZR MAXX HD). Because the Razr M was brand new they launched it first and gave a large exclusive window of several weeks. The HD, and MAXX HD was then launched exclusively through early November. Even the Droid DNA was moved ahead of the GN2 because it is exclusive and has a larger potential market on VZW.
As much as I like the GN2, it is still a niche product. The 5.5" Phablet is just too big for some and too expensive for others. It will not bring subscribers (as will the RAZR Family and DNA) and most of the Verizon GN2 sales will be cannibalized from other VZW devices.
So in terms of a "BUSINESS DECISION", would you have launched the GN2 before the Droids?
B.) Software update:
All of the GN2's had to be updated to enable the Dual View Multi-task windows.
All of the other US carriers launched without this feature and will have to do an Over The Air update to enable.
At this point Sprint has completed this update and AT&T has not (I'm not sure about US Cellular & T-Mobile).
The launch delay has allowed Verizon to do an in house update. As a customer with experience waiting for the super conservative Verizon to send out OTA updates, I much prefer they do it in house and have it available at launch.
AT&T launched earlier but they will not have the dual view multi-task feature available when the GN2 launches on VZW tomorrow.

2.) Logo on home button:
There is a carrier logo on every phone of every US carrier. Every manufacturer knows the logo will be applied. Do they really care where? Apple does. The others, not so much.
My Thunderbolt has a Verizon logo at the top center of the phone and the HTC logo on the back.
Samsung took the top center position on the GN2 so instead of the back Verizon took the bottom center position which happens to be the home button.
Would it be better if the positions were reversed?
Verizon would much prefer the top center position.
If it bothers you that much I'm sure finger nail polish remover will remove the logo.
3.) As far as the locked bootloader:
If you are a person that likes to root your phone that could be a factor if that is your passion.
But VZW is a very conservative company and they try to protect their customers and the network.
Rooting the phone invalidates the warranty and reports are that it disables the S-Pen with the GN2.
They also believe there is the possibility of rooted phones impacting their network.
4.) As for the continuously scrolling home pages:
I'm not sure there is a logical reason to disable this feature. There is some thought that it is related to the software update to enable the dual view multi-view feature.
I would be interested to see if Sprint (or International) GN2's retained the feature following their OTA updates. Or if it impacts the AT&T units whenever they receive their update.
Even if Big Red is the only carrier not to have continuously scrolling home pages I will not leave the best LTE network in the country.
It will take a little more than that.
Again, Sorry for going off topic with such a long message.

JoJoCal19

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site

All valid points and points that I understand, especially the Droid brand issue. No single issue is enough to make me skip the Note II or leave VZW, but taken as a whole it's more than enough for me to explore my other options. The good news is I can ignore or fix the VZW logo on the home button. The continuous scrolling will irk me but that either A) may be able to be restored after rooting and using a hack, or B) can be restored by using a launcher (Nova has been confirmed to not destroy TW or Spen functionality). So I am at least going to contact my AT&T Premier reps and see what they have to offer and I'll take a look at the DNA or possibly waiting for the next big thing or even get a S III at a steep discount. But in the end I most likely will get a VZW Note II and "fix" the minor issues I have with it. But I can say that it will be my absolute last contract phone on VZW and I will be looking seriously into moving to AT&T (not that they are perfect or anything).

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
All valid points and points that I understand, especially the Droid brand issue. No single issue is enough to make me skip the Note II or leave VZW, but taken as a whole it's more than enough for me to explore my other options. The good news is I can ignore or fix the VZW logo on the home button. The continuous scrolling will irk me but that either A) may be able to be restored after rooting and using a hack, or B) can be restored by using a launcher (Nova has been confirmed to not destroy TW or Spen functionality). So I am at least going to contact my AT&T Premier reps and see what they have to offer and I'll take a look at the DNA or possibly waiting for the next big thing or even get a S III at a steep discount. But in the end I most likely will get a VZW Note II and "fix" the minor issues I have with it. But I can say that it will be my absolute last contract phone on VZW and I will be looking seriously into moving to AT&T (not that they are perfect or anything).

It's just a matter of time before someone removes the Verizon logo. It happened with the BlackBerry 9900 logo at the bottom of the device. All it took was a copper penny and some light rubbing and it was gone.

bp3dots

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
So if u bought a ford truck, would u be upset if they had a huge ford logo painted on the hood?? FORD. Just saying. Seems similar type of advertisement going on

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

A more appropriate example would be on the steering wheel, and, there usually is a logo there on a car. (Not to mention on the front and back.)

infmethod

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

I think you should stick with iOS. Sounds to me like Samsung and Jelly Bean is going to be too much machine for you. Way to pick apart the tiniest of issues.... Things you can't even come close to doing with an iPhone. Ha!

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
In case you don't want to wait, Verizon stores are receiving their demo units today. We received ours and some accessories.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Hello Joe,

Might you know if the Note 2 will come with 32GB internal memory in the near future?

Thanks, Casey

thevaristy

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
What exactly is wrong with expressing displeasure over the logo? There seems to be a sentiment among message boards (not just this message board, but most) that consumers need to shut up and just be happy. As a consumer I have a right to express myself, whether that be by not buying the phone, or commiserating with other users online. If it bothers you that much that people are bothered, please skim over the post, and move on to the next. As a consumer, I want the best. If I am paying $700 for a phone, or signing a 2 year commitment, I do not, nor should I have to settle.

I find the logo to be ugly, I would prefer it not be there. Now, at the end of the day I would like the best phone on the best network so it would appear that I will be settling. If there is a way to remove the logo, I would like to know about it, as would many others here.

superlawyer15

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
What exactly is wrong with expressing displeasure over the logo? There seems to be a sentiment among message boards (not just this message board, but most) that consumers need to shut up and just be happy. As a consumer I have a right to express myself, whether that be by not buying the phone, or commiserating with other users online. If it bothers you that much that people are bothered, please skim over the post, and move on to the next. As a consumer, I want the best. If I am paying $700 for a phone, or signing a 2 year commitment, I do not, nor should I have to settle.

I find the logo to be ugly, I would prefer it not be there. Now, at the end of the day I would like the best phone on the best network so it would appear that I will be settling. If there is a way to remove the logo, I would like to know about it, as would many others here.

We will all know tomorrow but if its screen printed on then a sugar cube should be able to remove it without damaging the clear coat underneath

ignore those who b***h about people voicing their concerns
not only do these people not have the mental capacity to look past the surface and understand the underlying issues
but they likely have other motivations for defending verizon's clear and obvious anti-consumer practices

svenEDGE

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
ignore those who b***h about people voicing their concerns
not only do these people not have the mental capacity to look past the surface and understand the underlying issues...

Why are you such a dick? Calling people stupid over an issue like this, is ridiculous. Have you ever thought that it might just not matter that much to people? I'm with you in your frustration with Verizon not caring about their customers but come on dude. Grow up a little.

Sent from my DROIDX (sold my GNex to buy the Galaxy Note II)

nlitenme

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
We will all know tomorrow but if its screen printed on then a sugar cube should be able to remove it without damaging the clear coat underneath

I'm not sure about it being screen printed, but it DEFINITELY is printed on top of the button. When I ran my nail along it, I could feel it.

superlawyer15

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Why are you such a dick? Calling people stupid over an issue like this, is ridiculous. Have you ever thought that it might just not matter that much to people? I'm with you in your frustration with Verizon not caring about their customers but come on dude. Grow up a little.

that's perfectly fine if it doesn't matter to some people

but my problems lies in that most of those claim that they are ok with it fail to make the connection between the logo and other issues which all stem from verizon's control over samsung; some of those problems being far more damaging than just a printed logo (i.e locked bootloader, delayed release, etc.)

so I take issue with people blindly defending a company that is behaving to their detriment.

svenEDGE

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
that's perfectly fine if it doesn't matter to some people

but my problems lies in that most of those claim that they are ok with it fail to make the connection between the logo and other issues which all stem from verizon's control over samsung; some of those problems being far more damaging than just a printed logo (i.e locked bootloader, delayed release, etc.)

so I take issue with people blindly defending a company that is behaving to their detriment.

Agreed. However, telling people that they lack intelligence over it isn't called for. Just because they disagree or aren't as savy in a certain area, doesn't mean they're stupid. I could debate you on something that I know everything about, but you know almost nothing about, that doesn't make me smarter than you.

superlawyer15

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Agreed. However, telling people that they lack intelligence over it isn't called for. Just because they disagree or aren't as savy in a certain area, doesn't mean they're stupid. I could debate you on something that I know everything about, but you know almost nothing about, that doesn't make me smarter than you.

you're right...
but if I were then to attack your position on an issue that I know nothing about;I deserve to be criticized for it