Verizon closed upgrade Loophole for family share plan members?

Nibs

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
You don't have to get everyone a smartphone. The basic phones on that plan are 30 instead of the 40 for your smart phone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
Current bill is $167.xx

Shared bill is $208.xx with a 20% discount.
And that's with just 2gb.

I feel the exact same way, except I don't have anyone else on my plan who is using a dumb phone. You do. What you should do is if you're still on unlimited data on your line, make one of your family members use their upgrade on their dumb phone line to buy the Note 2 at a subsidized pricing, then when you get the phone itself don't activate it on their line. Re-activate their old dumb phone so you can remove the data plan you had to add to buy the Note 2. Then just take the Note 2 and activate it on your line that you have the iPhone 4 on. Bingo. Note 2 for $299 + activation fee and you keep unlimited data. No harm done.

Yeah I'm thinking about doing this but it just seems like such a hassle. :/

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Current bill is $167.xx

How many lines do you have?

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the galaxy S III unfortunately on T-Mobile

karsdroid

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Current bill is $167.xx

was totally worth a few minutes of hassle for this awesome phone.....completely happy with it....

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Anyone know how the employer discount comes off on the share everything plan? I get 22% off but want to see where it hits.

TIA.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I'm confused. I have a family plan now and that discount comes off the minute plan (1400 minutes). I don't get a discount off data as it stands now.

Tarpit_Carnivore

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
Anyone know how the employer discount comes off on the share everything plan? I get 22% off but want to see where it hits.

TIA.

It comes off the top of the bill now. They used to only apply it to one line but now it's off the total bill. So if you're bill is $200 its 22% of $200. They switched to this way some point over the last 5 months because I noticed it before going to share everything.

am4966

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
i get about 22.00 off my current plan of 1400 friends n family. plus i get 20.00 credit towards my unlimited data.

so i just can't bring myself to upgrade my line

probably gonna transfer upgrade to the dumb phone that my son has

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Android Central Forums

Nibs

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
You don't have to get everyone a smartphone. The basic phones on that plan are 30 instead of the 40 for your smart phone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

I feel the exact same way, except I don't have anyone else on my plan who is using a dumb phone. You do. What you should do is if you're still on unlimited data on your line, make one of your family members use their upgrade on their dumb phone line to buy the Note 2 at a subsidized pricing, then when you get the phone itself don't activate it on their line. Re-activate their old dumb phone so you can remove the data plan you had to add to buy the Note 2. Then just take the Note 2 and activate it on your line that you have the iPhone 4 on. Bingo. Note 2 for $299 + activation fee and you keep unlimited data. No harm done.

How many lines do you have?

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the galaxy S III unfortunately on T-Mobile

5, 1 smartphone and 4 regular phones

jbomb11

Banned
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Upgraded through best buy online tonight and as you can see in the picture I was able to select no change for data plan.... hmm well see tomorrow if it let's me keep it.
Sent from my own two fingers.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1354510144015.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1354510144015.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 115

steve0617

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
If you had an unlimited minutes and text plan in the past, as I understood it, there was no discount on that part of the plan. Just the data. If you had a timed minute plan (450 or 900 as an individual or 1400 as a family), the discount also applied.

Since the only minutes/text plan now is unlimited, there is no longer a discount on that part of the plan. The only thing that gets discounted is the data portion of the share everything plan.

Last edited:

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
If you had an unlimited minutes and text plan in the past, as I understood it, there was no discount on that part of the plan. Just the data. If you had a timed minute plan (450 or 900 as an individual or 1400 as a family, the discount also applied.

Since the only minutes/text plan now is unlimited, there is no longer a discount on that part of the plan. The only thing that gets discounted is the data portion of the share everything plan.

Thanks, makes sense.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I'm confused. I have a family plan now and that discount comes off the minute plan (1400 minutes). I don't get a discount off data as it stands now.

There may be individual exceptions but all of the Verizon training literature (and the brochures themselves I believe) say that they come off the data portion only where previously they had come off the minute/texting plan.

Sent from my Motorola Droid RAZR Max HD using the Android Central Forums app.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
There may be individual exceptions but all of the Verizon training literature (and the brochures themselves I believe) say that they come off the data portion only where previously they had come off the minute/texting plan.

Sent from my Motorola Droid RAZR Max HD using the Android Central Forums app.

That's what I was trained to know.

arcoms

May 18, 2010
Visit site
It's called I have a few very close friends and a member of my immediate family who happen to be homosexual. I see how words hurt, the same way words hurt when they are about someone's skin color or the god they worship. It disgusts me. People who do it disgust me.

Previously, I would just do what was necessary to make sure whoever used the term was gone and couldn't come back. I was told I had to give people a chance before I ban them and their entire IP block to keep their bigotry away.

Nobody told me I had to like giving bigotry a second chance, so I don't. I hate it. If my style of giving someone a chance that I think they don't deserve bothers you, I don't particularly care. Report my post, and move along. You won't change my mind or how I feel about it.

Not trying to bring this back and derail the conversation, but I really want to say thank you to Jerry. In the geeky nerdy circles we run in, this kind of thing happens a lot and it's easy for us to start and think like it's ok when it's not. Thank you for standing up for us.

In regards to the topic, I still think that the more people fight about this, it's a bit of a waste of time. The plans are changing and all the carriers want you to get on the new plans. That's how they plan on making money. As I said before, it's the same kind of argument I used to get when I worked at Sprint and the company started charging the $10 premium data fee. If you don't want to pay it, the only way to get around it (eventually) will be to NOT have a smartphone.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Brettdacosta

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Upgraded through best buy online tonight and as you can see in the picture I was able to select no change for data plan.... hmm well see tomorrow if it let's me keep it.
Sent from my own two fingers.

So were you able to keep the unlimited in this process? I thought going through a 3rd party was a guarantee that you will lose your unlimited? Thanks.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez