Galaxy Note 2 Battery life taking a HUGE dive...help!

RenegadeX28

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
I bought the phone back when Verizon released it in November. From November up until I updated the phone with the recent OS update (that fixes that Exynos bug)...I've had amazing battery life. I leave it on 4G, moderate use via texting...internet, phone, all that good stuff. I would charge it til 100 percent, take it off the charger at 6am, and when I'd get home at 6pm, I'd have like 80 percent on the battery. Recently, the battery life has been terrible. I take it off the charger, and after sending a few texts, getting on Facebook, Instagram here and there, it goes from 100 percent to 90...usually within 15 minutes of use. Usually, by 10am any day, I wouldn't be below 90 percent on my battery. Now, it's gotten down to 70 percent with light texting use by 10am. I barely get home with battery left on my phone. Instead of getting home with 80 percent, it's more like 30 or 40 percent. Sometimes even lower. I have no clue what's going on. Yesterday, I was just texting for like 5 minutes and was on FB, and my phone was getting hot, like if I was overusing it like crazy. I have no clue what's going on. What's draining the battery like this?

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Look at what apps are running. Could be one of them. And if you have a task killer uninstall it. Don't need on android devices....eats up battery life. Good luck.
I do know the update is causing battery issues with some people. Mine is OK.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note2

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Been on 10.5 hours. Am at 68% I have been on it quite a bit today. Calls. Texting. Emails. Some days I use more. All depends

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Also installing Better Battery Stats and GSM Battery monitor to find out what is using the battery, correcting it and then remove BBS and GSM, can help.

Sent from my AWESOME Note 2

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
Bad battery? Shouldn't be getting hot on 5 minutes of use. Check for any signs of damage.

Also, do you constantly discharge until there is very little juice left?, Do you leave the battery in the charger for long periods of time after the battery is charged? Are you only using the original Samsung charger?

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Actually leaving the phone on the charger after fully charged does not hurt the battery. I charge mine up while I am sleeping. Used to sell Verizon. It won't do damage. I dont recommend 3rd party batteries or chargers tho. They can cause problems

RenegadeX28

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
Bad battery? Shouldn't be getting hot on 5 minutes of use. Check for any signs of damage.

Also, do you constantly discharge until there is very little juice left?, Do you leave the battery in the charger for long periods of time after the battery is charged? Are you only using the original Samsung charger?

I usually plug it in with juice left, maybe usually 20 percent left from what I've noticed. I use the charger that came with the phone. I'm gonna try using GSam and Better Battery stats and see whats up.

RenegadeX28

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
Actually leaving the phone on the charger after fully charged does not hurt the battery. I charge mine up while I am sleeping. Used to sell Verizon. It won't do damage. I dont recommend 3rd party batteries or chargers tho. They can cause problems

Another thing I noticed is everytime I restart or reboot my phone, the battery reading goes up. I was just charging my phone and it said 88 percent. Rebooted and now it's reads 91 percent.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
The Note gets a little warm, which seems to be the processor and not the battery. What section of the phone is getting warm?

Sent from my AWESOME Note 2

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

My personal preference is not to leave it on the charger after it is fully charged for the note 2 . It is not recommended to maintain a full charge for extended periods of time, it isn't good for the longevity of the battery. Some phones will charge to full then automatically discharge maybe 5% or so then recharge, continuing that cycle. The complaint that some people have is, how come it drops so fast, from 100 to 95% in such a short time.

Now, on the note 2, the phone remains at 100%, not following the charge discharge cycle i mentioned above, see the screen shot below.

I realize that a lot of people do what you do, and it certainly isn't gonna kill the battery overnight, but just saying that it is not ideal for the battery.

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note II

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1361038958238.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1361038958238.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 253

starstalker

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
the note 2's battery has a chip that determines the battery level, so battery caliberation shouldnt be the issue. you probably have some apps that could be causing the issue. wakelocks are a big issue, for me google location services was causing an insane amount of wakelocks that ate away my battery on the note 2 till i disabled it. try using the apps in the advanced section of the Note 2 battery saving guide to find the culprit apps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa