this sort of freaked me out

viper31573

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
was in another room and i hear a beeping noise like the noise you hear when a tv station is doing a test, but no TVs on in the house. then i realize its my note 2 telling me there is an amber alert in tampa(about 4 hrs away). i had no idea i would get emergency alerts like this. no phone of mine has ever done that

kris.richards

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
Verizons newer phones do this. I believe you can disable it in the messaging app settings. Scared the crap out of me the first time I heard it as well lol.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
All devices are doing this now. I chose to disable when I had my Rezound. I was getting constant weather too. Haven't received on my Note except weather and without the annoying beep.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note2

viper31573

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
its actually kind of a good thing to have, as long as it dont go overboard. i mean id like to know if a tornado is coming my way, and an amber alert is worth knowing about

nlitenme

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I was reading on mine when the alert went off earlier (I'm about an hour north of Tampa). I jumped & almost dropped the phone it startled me so much! :eek: That's the first Amber alert I've ever received.

Seriously though, it's great that technology can help with situations like that. You never know if you could be the one who spots them.

Jerry-O

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Turned mine off the first time it went off at 0300 and it was only a test. Scared the s&%* out of me and I could not figure out how to silence it from a just woken up state so it woke my wife up too.

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Verizons newer phones do this. I believe you can disable it in the messaging app settings. Scared the crap out of me the first time I heard it as well lol.

Me too the first time I heard it! I think it's a good thing though. Living in AZ. We don't get Alerts to often (great weather, no natural disasters) but when we do, it is very helpful!

Margie
Sent from my Galaxy Note 2

djroy03

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
was in another room and i hear a beeping noise like the noise you hear when a tv station is doing a test, but no TVs on in the house. then i realize its my note 2 telling me there is an amber alert in tampa(about 4 hrs away). i had no idea i would get emergency alerts like this. no phone of mine has ever done that

Same here! Was driving to work this afternoon and my phone was in my pocket. An alarm goes off and I think it's from the radio. Turned the radio off and it's still going! Freaked me out!

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Verizon has some info on the emergency alerts here: Wireless Emergency Alerts FAQs | Verizon Wireless

Myself, I always immediately go in and disable them as I'm only interested in weather alerts which tend to be too broad and inaccurate anyway in the built-in system. So instead I use a third party app such as Beweather, which has a list of about 50 alert items from moderate to severe. I set it to only alert on severe, fast developing things such as severe thunderstorm or tornado warnings.

cj100570

Spoken Word?
Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I don't mean any disrespect to anyone but I'm just wondering if anyone reads the manual anymore or plays with all the settings on their phones when they get them? I only ask because I keep seeing posts about people not knowing their phone does this, that or the other.

k9cop

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Just read this thread yesterday and wouldn't you know it, my phone got one today. Scared a little pee out of me since my was on vibrate. It was an Amber Alert for 2 kids in Florida.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer