Note 2 Verizon Rural Reception question.

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Thinking about getting the Note 2 from Verizon. We live out in the middle of the woods and our Verizon signal here is about 1-2 bars of 3G on an iPhone 5.
Some days 0-1 bar, but still get decent reception and data.
What kind of reception would the Note 2 from Verizon receive in this rural situation?
Better or worst then the iPhone 5?

Thank You.

radgatt

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I'd say it would be about the same. Ever consider getting one of those wireless extenders? Extend the network since you're out in the middle of nowhere?

Sent from my VZW Note 2 using Android Central Forums

chuckh0308

Apr 3, 2011
www.welcomehomeseattle.com
Remember that the bars don't really mean a whole lot since each manufacturer has a different interpretation of them. And Apple was the company that used to show bars when there was no signal at all...lol! That said, I can't compare to the iP5, but I have an iP4 and can honestly say that the Note 2 has a notably stronger signal than the iP4 does. It easily makes call and gets data where the iP4 gets no service at all. Same against my HTC Thunderbolt...the Note2 has service where the T-bolt had nothing. I would say try it. You can always return it within the 15 days or whatever it is now on Verizon.

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I guess the Note should have a larger antenna built in, right? You're better off trying to measure in dbm at any rate.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

redimpala01

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I'd say it would be about the same. Ever consider getting one of those wireless extenders? Extend the network since you're out in the middle of nowhere?

Sent from my VZW Note 2 using Android Central Forums

We have a verizon network extender and we went from 1 to full bars!! I highly recommend it!!

Sent from my HTC Dna using Tapatalk 2.

redimpala01

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
No, it's a one time price of $250.00 and there is no monthly charge.

The only this you need is high speed Internet..

redimpala01

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
I believe it's thru cellular data. You should ask a VZW rep just to be safe. All we I did was plug it in to our router an it took about an hour to lock on to the gps signal and we have been good ever since.

Lodingi

Q&A Team
Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
I live and travel throughout Northeastern Pennsylvania. In many areas there are more farm animals than humans.

Despite the lack of people in these rural areas, 4G LTE has been available everywhere I go. Pretty impressive in my opinion.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

jpriest007

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Don't know where you are but I have been through parts of rural Illinois where cell service is weak for everyone. But I still had plenty of signal with GN2. You can check out that extender at verizonwireless.com cost $249.

mrdinks

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
I have a Network Extender I would get rid of. They do work good, went from one weak bar to full bars about a block from home.
Moved and don't need it anymore.

purwater

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
You should be ok with the Note 2 on reception. I have used iPhone 4, 4S, and 5 at my house with good results. I usually show 1-2 bars on them and never dropped calls. Would get a little choppy when I was in my basement, but not always. I tried a Galaxy S 3 and it dropped calls at my house so I returned. Finally gave in and got the Note 2 and my reception is equal to what my iPhones were getting. I can talk in my basement without issues and no dropped calls anywhere. I'm showing the same 1-2 bars (for what it's worth) with the occasional 3rd bar. I never pay much attention to my db levels as long as I'm not having issues.

kregar

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
mrdinks,

If you still have the network extender, I'll take it.. I live in a rural area with a weak 3g signal.

Sent you a PM.

Thanks,

kregar

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ecstasy89