after 4.3 update, all hotspot apps stopped working? I thought Verizon wasn't allowed to do this?

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
after 4.3 update, all hotspot apps stopped working? I thought Verizon wasn't allowed to do this?

I'm referring to the apps in the Play Store that let people use hotspot without paying extra fees to Verizon Wireless.

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site

I'm referring to the apps in the Play Store that let people use hotspot without paying extra fees to Verizon Wireless.

They're still allowed to do it if you have unlimited. If you're on a limited plan you can do it but it counts against your data.

cootiesboy

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I also have a question before updating to 4.3.
Right now, i have unlimited data and didn't subscribe for the mobile hotspot but I can still use the phone as a hotspot because I activated the hotspot via a third party widget, which I guess is a glitch.
So my question is, can i still do this via a third party widget or is the glitch fixed in 4.3? If it is then I'm definitely not updating.

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Right now, i have unlimited data and didn't subscribe for the mobile hotspot but I can still use the phone as a hotspot because I activated the hotspot via a third party widget, which I guess is a glitch.
So my question is, can i still do this via a third party widget or is the glitch fixed in 4.3? If it is then I'm definitely not updating.

Verizon probably fixed it.... I've tried all the hotspot apps after receiving the 4.3 update. None of them worked.

chuckr01

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I couldn't get the Foxfi hotspot to work but I was able to Bluetooth tether. I had to download pdanet tablet to my tablet and follow the instructions.

draxxis4454

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Boo on Verizon for screwing us on unlimited data. I understand where they are coming from, but still think its a form of discrimination (and yes when I talked to them, I told them they are discriminating and its illegal).

Btw, my average data usage pet month is 21 Gigabytes a month. All I am doing is streaming music for 10 hours a day at work, 5 to 6 days a week.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Boo on Verizon for screwing us on unlimited data. I understand where they are coming from, but still think its a form of discrimination (and yes when I talked to them, I told them they are discriminating and its illegal).

Btw, my average data usage pet month is 21 Gigabytes a month. All I am doing is streaming music for 10 hours a day at work, 5 to 6 days a week.

Unless you are a lawyer ready to take them on, they won't care what you say about illegalities on their part.

geoclooney

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
So now what?

Is there hope that the 3rd party apps will be updated so it works with 4.3? How long could that take?

Obviously, I should have deferred the 4.3 OTA update until this was figured out, but it's too late now. I've never investigated rooting, but I'll give it a shot now. This isn't the right thread, but I'll ask anyway if there are any special issues with trying to root after taking the 4.3 OTA update. Anyone know?

crmemt1

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
don't update to 4.3 cause it will stop you from being able to use your hotspot app. You will be asked for verizon subscription. Hope the app developers will fix these for us.

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
don't update to 4.3 cause it will stop you from being able to use your hotspot app. You will be asked for verizon subscription. Hope the app developers will fix these for us.

I' wonder if there's another hotspot tethering that will work after the 4.3 OTA update.... :(

Mickey Waters

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
use bluetooth tethering... download the app in the play store called bt auto tethering and you will have internet on the device such as ipad or itouch and so on. i was bummed after the update and kept messing around . Thank God he showed me a solution and I felt I should share because I didn't see anyone with a solution...happy holidays

Mickey Waters

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site

scroll down and see what I posted on using bluetooth tethering to replace wifi tether app... I don't think they expected anyone to come across it. I've been using it on a couple of devices this weekend

chuckr01

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
scroll down and see what I posted on using bluetooth tethering to replace wifi tether app... I don't think they expected anyone to come across it. I've been using it on a couple of devices this weekend
As I posted above, I got bluetooth tethering to work with Foxfi/pdanet.

karsdroid

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I couldn't get the Foxfi hotspot to work but I was able to Bluetooth tether. I had to download pdanet tablet to my tablet and follow the instructions.

the bluetooth tether works as stated above and also the usb tether for laptops works....it's like taking a step back in time and super irritating, but until there is a work around for the wifi i guess its what we have to work with.

chuckr01

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
the bluetooth tether works as stated above and also the usb tether for laptops works....it's like taking a step back in time and super irritating, but until there is a work around for the wifi i guess its what we have to work with.
Unfortunately, I discovered today that while I can get to the browser with this, I can't get to my email or SSLVPN with Junos Pulse. They both want a wi-fi connection. Maybe I need to change a setting somewhere but I have no clue where. I guess I join the "dead in the water" crowd.

TallTony

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I tried this and it doesn't work for me.

Posted via Android Central App

PDANET is a great app and Bluetooth tether works with most if not all all Android handsets. However, Bluetooth is slower and not all apps access the Internet because they must be written to allow it. If you're tethering using BT on PDANET, try the Chrome browser. At least you'll be able to access social media using the browser.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Verizon has to allow all apps and accept any device, which they are doing to the letter. There is no restriction on them checking to see if you have a subscription. I am sure after they were fined by the fcc, that they are a lot more careful to make sure that they follow the requirements to the letter.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non