[HOW TO] Block the latest Verizon OTA for rooted phones (IMM76D)

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
[INFO]If you've rooted/unlocked the bootloader of your phone, you do NOT want to accept the latest OTA that's being pushed out the past few days. For rooted users with a locked bootloader.. if you haven't touched any system files, then chances are you will only break root. For rooted users with an unlocked bootloader.. it is advised that you do not accept an OTA. Be warned that you will possibly brick your phone if you are rooted and/or have an unlocked bootloader accepting the update from Verizon.

***** Wait for the developers to release a version of the OTA update that is safe to flash/install on a rooted device. [/INFO]

[TIP]How To Block the Verizon OTA:
Download the app Titanium Backup > Go to backup/restore > Scroll down to SDM 1.0 and freeze it. [/TIP]

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Cyber can you confirm that freezing SDM 1.0 worked on your phone. I ask because I have read (do not remember where) conflicting reports that this no longer works?

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
It's working for me... I'm running NoSympathy stock zip aligned deodexed ROM and received the notification this morning for the upgrade. I postponed it until later tonight.... then found the tip for freezing SDM 1.0, after freezing it... I manually tried forcing the update to my phone under settings and received a system error. It seems to be disabled for me, I'll be 100% sure later tonight to see if I get reminded from the postponed notification.

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
It's working for me... I'm running NoSympathy stock zip aligned deodexed ROM and received the notification this morning for the upgrade. I postponed it until later tonight.... then found the tip for freezing SDM 1.0, after freezing it... I manually tried forcing the update to my phone under settings and received a system error. It seems to be disabled for me, I'll be 100% sure later tonight to see if I get reminded from the postponed notification.

I have procrastinated and have not rooted. I knew this would happen (updated pushed). It has not pushed to my phone yet, only a matter of time. I now must scramble and root, and freeze that sucker. I have taken the battery out and preparing for root, just hope that the update does not try and load while I am in the process of rooting and unlocking the bootloader!!!!!!!!!

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Yea I hear that... You shouldI be given a few chances (or at least one) to postpone the update up to 12hrs. I was lucky, my battery completely drained last night and I put it on the charger, sometime in the middle of the night I turned the phone back on, when I woke up this morning my phone was in Recovery asking me to install an update, I said no and restarted the phone where I was reminded by another pop up to install the update... that's when I postponed it for 12hrs until I found a fix for blocking it.

UPDATE: Its been 12hrs (time i set to postpone) and no notification. Just want to confirm that the above method of freezing sdm 1.0 works at blocking the OTA.

Last edited:

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Yea I hear that... You shouldI be given a few chances (or at least one) to postpone the update up to 12hrs. I was lucky, my battery completely drained last night and I put it on the charger, sometime in the middle of the night I turned the phone back on, when I woke up this morning my phone was in Recovery asking me to install an update, I said no and restarted the phone where I was reminded by another pop up to install the update... that's when I postponed it for 12hrs until I found a fix for blocking it.

UPDATE: Its been 12hrs (time i set to postpone) and no notification. Just want to confirm that the above method of freezing sdm 1.0 works at blocking the OTA.
Thanks!!

Just finished rooting, unlocking, and freezing.

gabead

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the steps on how to freeze the update. I got it going and waiting patiently for rooted JB to come out.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Seiyajin

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Is there any other way to do it without buying the Titanium backup pro? May sound cheap of me, but I'm seriously trying to save my money before I go to boot camp. Also, I don't want my rooted/unlocked bootloader phone to be bricked. Thanks in advance for any help.

Sent from my GS3 using Tapatalk 2

jova33

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I have procrastinated and have not rooted. I knew this would happen (updated pushed). It has not pushed to my phone yet, only a matter of time. I now must scramble and root, and freeze that sucker. I have taken the battery out and preparing for root, just hope that the update does not try and load while I am in the process of rooting and unlocking the bootloader!!!!!!!!!

Just put your phone in airplane mode lol

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Seiyajin

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Ok, quick update: the OTA wasn't pushed to my phone yet, but when I went to software update and performed a check, one of the options given was "reject", which I did. I have attached a picture. However, a friend of mine was not so lucky and now she has the phone trying to install it. The first time it tried, the update failed, much to her delight. Unfortunately, now she has to keep hitting the defer option and keep setting it to a later time. Is there any thing that can be done besides purchasing and using the Titanium backup pro app? She's a nursing student and spending is not an option. Oh, we're both rooted using the stock vzw rom and have the bootloader unlocked. Thanks again!

pa3uhe4a.jpg

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Is there any other way to do it without buying the Titanium backup pro? May sound cheap of me, but I'm seriously trying to save my money before I go to boot camp. Also, I don't want my rooted/unlocked bootloader phone to be bricked. Thanks in advance for any help.

You should be able to rename the file using Root Explorer which is $4 as opposed to TiBu which is $6 if that helps any.
Other then that, I can't think of any free apps that would work.

Kamen

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
From my experience thus far I am rooted (just so I could fix the issue with the phone freezing while copying text) and I checked off "OTA Survival" in Superuser before running the update. After the phone rebooted it said the update failed, but when I check the version it says IMM76D.I535VRALG7 which is what the update announcement says it should be on Verizon's site and I still have root. Everything seems to be working just fine so I am assuming the update just produced a false "Failed" output.

paradroid

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
It will be a few days before I get one. I had to go with $139 on Amazon. The local Best Buy and Verizon store had it at $199 and would not match price. I suppose this will give it some time for any problems to shake out.

Last edited:

HuskerDad3

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site

eharty

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
My S3 is stock and unrooted and I received a notification that there was an update available. I delayed it until tonight so I could see if I wanted to accept it or not. If I root is there a way to delete the downloaded update file? Or, if I just freeze SDM 1.0 will that stop the update even though it has already been downloaded?

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
My S3 is stock and unrooted and I received a notification that there was an update available. I delayed it until tonight so I could see if I wanted to accept it or not. If I root is there a way to delete the downloaded update file? Or, if I just freeze SDM 1.0 will that stop the update even though it has already been downloaded?

Yes you still have time, nothing has downloaded yet, it's just a notification. You still have time to root and freeze the file before the postponed notification automatically starts the download on its own.

eharty

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Yes you still have time, nothing has downloaded yet, it's just a notification. You still have time to root and freeze the file before the postponed notification automatically starts the download on its own.

Thank you. I need to get rid of bloat not add more with this update.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty