Brand new VZN GS3. What to do?

wbcolon

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Hello all, I've had this phone for less than a week. Do I root now or wait for jelly bean to be released. I'm coming from idevices. Sold my 4s and ipad cold turkey for this phone. Both were jail broken and I couldn't be happier with this thing, but I have the overwhelming urge to root. How long did you all wait to root?

Willie C

jdk2

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Waited until the bootloader was unlocked. Haven't looked back. It's an enjoyable phone and customization is part of its appeal. No need to wait for JB as the ROM devs will have the same software that's released as an OTA, possibly before it's actually released.

wbcolon

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Waited until the bootloader was unlocked. Haven't looked back. It's an enjoyable phone and customization is part of its appeal. No need to wait for JB as the ROM devs will have the same software that's released as an OTA, possibly before it's actually released.

When you reference the bootloader, did you unlock the bootloader yourself or Verizon?

Sent from my A7-040 using Tapatalk 2

wbcolon

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site

I saw this app one click unlock for bootloader in the play store. Is that what I need to flash roms as well as like cyanogen mod or rom manager?

Willie C

jdk2

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I used the original Casual app but have used EZ-Unlock as well. Search for version 1.2 until the author fixes a couple of issues.

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I saw this app one click unlock for bootloader in the play store. Is that what I need to flash roms as well as like cyanogen mod or rom manager?

Willie C

You can unlock using the EZ-Unlock app from the Play Store. Before you jump in, take a look at the stickied guides in the forum that walk you through the process.

Don't hesitate to ask questions after reading the guides. Good luck and enjoy.

Sent from my SGSIII

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Root your device following the guide by Cyber Warrior posted in the stickies and then go over to Rootz and find the EZ-Unlock program to download version 1.2. 1.3 or 4 don't work and cause issues unlocking and it's even recognized by the developer.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Xparent SkyBlue Tapatalk 2

wbcolon

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Ok so now I'm rooted. Running the stock rom. But every time I try and flash a rom my phone goes into either a constant boot screen or ends up stock without my appstore or info. Thankfully I can get back to the screen that let's me load a backup. What should I do. I want to load jelly bean but everything is try ends up with me loading my backup rom back.

Willie C

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
You need to flash a gapps package. If the ROM you are flashing doesn't have that included then you need to download the one the ROM states you must download. What ROM are you trying to flash on your phone?

wbcolon

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
You need to flash a gapps package. If the ROM you are flashing doesn't have that included then you need to download the one the ROM states you must download. What ROM are you trying to flash on your phone?

The one rom I'm trying to load is "paranoid android. I downloaded the gapps zip and the regular zip file. I'm at a loss.

Willie C

Prozak

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
The one rom I'm trying to load is "paranoid android. I downloaded the gapps zip and the regular zip file. I'm at a loss.

Willie C

Did you do any research into it? Is paranoid Android for the Verizon GS3? if its not, you could brick your phone.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

wbcolon

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Did you do any research into it? Is paranoid Android for the Verizon GS3? if its not, you could brick your phone.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Yes I have. It works for the i9300 in general. Seems lime it is only of the most popular roms for all of the galaxy s3 phones. I downloaded load the zip and gapp file and nothing.

Willie C

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I remember I told myself when I got this phone I wouldn't need to root it or unlock it. I was totally wrong, it makes this phone multiple times better.

wbcolon

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I remember I told myself when I got this phone I wouldn't need to root it or unlock it. I was totally wrong, it makes this phone multiple times better.

I said the same thing. Since ive rooted ive flashed about 5 different roms. Im addicted.

Willie C

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
+1 for Paranoid Android. It's like CM, but really lets you get things right. I love having a folders column in my Gmail app and Settings app and being able to set the other densities to feel just right. Finding the TouchWiz stuff a little cartoonish and having loved CM from my previous device, this rules.

I've also been very satisfied with this set of inverted Gapps, as the dark theming and features make it the perfect pairing with PA, extending the battery life considerably.

icu

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
I'm in the market and if I were to p/u an S3 it would be with the full intention of rooting/ROMing right away and not look back. What I'm wondering is at this point how stable are the main JB ROMS for most people? Do most just go to CM10 and is there any missing features or known annoying glitches that need ironing out? I know there's always some hurdles to jump and a few nagging things to live with, but I wonder if someone flashed a milestone release of CM or AOKP etc. are there things that are lost?

Just as an aside - how does the G3's camera perform with the AOSP camera app. I know from experience that they are almost better with the TW app - one thing Samsung does REALLY well.

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
How stable are the main JB ROMS for most people? Do most just go to CM10 and is there any missing features or known annoying glitches that need ironing out? I know there's always some hurdles to jump and a few nagging things to live with, but I wonder if someone flashed a milestone release of CM or AOKP etc. are there things that are lost?
At this point I find them to be buttery smooth, fast and stable. The only issues that I have encountered are that sometimes in coming back from a wifi connection, 4G does not always establish a connection (a quick reboot fixes this) and I still haven't gotten the SD card to be recognized when plugging in using Linux (MTP issues).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87