This Or Galaxy Nexus?

HAXSO21

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
AHHH which phone should i get? i dont like touchwiz and love stock android 4.0... but the hardware is so much better on gs3 but i like the way the gnex looks better.... i was also thinking about just rooting the gs3, but its still not a nexus.. this is so hard. please help haha

anon(120)

Dec 9, 2008
Visit site
Re: This Or Galaxy Nexus?????

I wouldn't let Touchwiz stand in your way. I can say with a good level of certainty that it will be rooted in no time, which means tons of vanilla ROMs. Or you could just use a different launcher.

I have a GNex now, and I'll be switching to the SGS3. Better hardware, better camera, better screen. Doesn't matter to me that it's not a "Nexus" device. I had a SGS2 on Sprint before I got the GNex, and I was a little underwhelmed when I made the switch. The SGS2 felt like the better phone in many ways, so, I'm sure the same will be true for the SGS3.

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site

There's nothing special about a Nexus phone other than stock ICS, the hardware is extremely outdated now. yes, it will get JB first, but is that really worth it?

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
There's nothing special about a Nexus phone other than stock ICS, the hardware is extremely outdated now. yes, it will get JB first, but is that really worth it?

Extremely outdated? How? What out there pushes its limits?

It may not be special, but it has more dev support than any other phone out there, probably in the history of Android. That speaks volumes in my opinion.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site

With the newer LTE hardware and newer , different cpu in the GS3....I would at least try it. It has a chance for better battery life out the box.

The Rezound with a version of the S3 is actually nice for battery life for a phone running at 1.5Ghz. The GS3 will have an S4, which should be a lil better on battery life.

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site

I wouldn't let Touchwiz stand in your way. I can say with a good level of certainty that it will be rooted in no time, which means tons of vanilla ROMs. Or you could just use a different launcher.

I have a GNex now, and I'll be switching to the SGS3. Better hardware, better camera, better screen. Doesn't matter to me that it's not a "Nexus" device. I had a SGS2 on Sprint before I got the GNex, and I was a little underwhelmed when I made the switch. The SGS2 felt like the better phone in many ways, so, I'm sure the same will be true for the SGS3.

I couldn't agree with you more. I too had the GS2 on sprint and got a nexus as a gift. While I did enjoy pure vanilla, I did miss the camera and certain aspects of touchwiz. I am a fan of touchwiz, it's not as bad as some people make it out to be. With the new camera, ram, screen size and software coming on the GS3, I couldn't pass it up. Traded back in my nexus, re-activated my GS2, and pre-ordered me a GS3 32 gig in white last night :) Never had a white phone but IMO the white looks better, classier :cool:

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site

Not just Touchwiz....but custom Ui's in general arent as bad as some make it. As hard as it for some to believe....custom UI's do add to the Android experience, add things stock leaves off that some find useful.

I agree.

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site

Not just Touchwiz....but custom Ui's in general arent as bad as some make it. As hard as it for some to believe....custom UI's do add to the Android experience, add things stock leaves off that some find useful.

I agree.

I don't think they're the end of the world but the manufacturer's could go about implementing them in a different way instead of completely breaking android to put their stuff in.

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I don't think they're the end of the world but the manufacturer's could go about implementing them in a different way instead of completely breaking android to put their stuff in.

I don't see Android being completely broken by custom UI's. One can still add numerous apps to customize their phone. The other basic things about stock Android are still there. To me, the base of Android, Android at its core is being extremely customizable out the box. That doesn't get completely broken to me.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site

I don't see Android being completely broken by custom UI's. One can still add numerous apps to customize their phone. The other basic things about stock Android are still there. To me, the base of Android, Android at its core is being extremely customizable out the box. That doesn't get completely broken to me.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Look at how deep the hooks are in android for the custom UI's and ask any developer that has had to deal with TouchWiz or Sense. It's usually one big cluster with the changes made.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site

Better camera, uSD card, better battery life w/ LTE modem integrated in the soc, bigger screen, physical home button to wake the phone from the front, future global phone support promised....

These are the main features that make this a no-brainer for me. If they sound appealing to you too, then go for the GSIII. Otherwise, the stock OS of the Nexus may be a better choice for you.

As for touchwiz, I plan to install Go Launcher and move on. Even with touchwiz running silently in the background it will fly, and still have more memory available for use than the Nexus does.

-Suntan

Bob61

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
better battery life w/ LTE modem integrated in the soc,
I see this mentioned in reviews, but haven't seen any benchmarks to back that up or how much better it will be. Curious how battery life compares to Maxx as will be upgrading phone for wife and have looked at Maxx due to battery life vs Nexus.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site

This. More future proof with 2gb ram, better battery with s4 and integrated lte.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site

I agree.

I have no problem with UI's. I used the new blur on the maxx and also sense for years and yeah they slow updates but other than that they weren't "the devil" like some made them out to be.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site

Extremely outdated? How? What out there pushes its limits?

It may not be special, but it has more dev support than any other phone out there, probably in the history of Android. That speaks volumes in my opinion.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

terrible camera, processor was about at the end of it's cycle( with newer more efficient dual and quad cores right around the corner) not to mention how long it took for an update. Plus this being Samsung and how dev friendly they are and all 4 US versions having same specs I can see this having a ton of development and see what the devs can do with the 2gb of ram.

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site

I see this mentioned in reviews, but haven't seen any benchmarks to back that up or how much better it will be. Curious how battery life compares to Maxx as will be upgrading phone for wife and have looked at Maxx due to battery life vs Nexus.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Here are battery life tests was with the GS3 international version:

Samsung Galaxy S3's battery benchmark tests show good performance

Now....thats a different chip. Quad core. With the US GS3....the battery life with LTE and the S4 is gonna be interesting to see.

I really wouldnt compare any phone with a stock battery to the Maxx. The Maxx has an enormous battery in it. The battery size in the GS3 vs other phones with similar sizes, the different chips.....the international GS3 does really good.

If battery life is your main thing....I dont think any phone will match up with the Maxx unless it has an extended battery. A very large extended battery. And that G nex on the list is the GSM version...which has alot better battery life than the CDMA one...

Last edited:
Reactions: HAXSO21

jadams

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site

I am on the fence too. I have been waiting for the Gnex price to drop and I can finally get it for $149 with a free battery and $25 ebay gift cert. BUT reading how great the GSIII is supposed to be and the fact that I can get it for the same $149...kinda has me leaning towards it too. I hate my Fascinate... even rooted. I know things have changed a lot for Samsung, just hope the GSIII lives up to the hype.