Convince Me

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Considering 6000 devs just got their hands on a GN that will be receiving a JB OTA update tonight...

...I presume those users who are rooted will be seeing JB in rom form...within a few days?

Obviously, food for thought. Not everyone is rooted so there's that.

There is one conclusion that came to mind though--the SIII, hardware aside, seems stunningly...outdated...right now?

stunningly outdated? Software can only do so much with old outdated hardware which the nexus has. All those devs that have JB well you know others will port that to other phones just like what has been done with ICS.

tekhna

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Why convince you? Do it yourself, everyone's circumstances are different. For me, it's easy. The GS3 is the best phone on the market that lets me keep my unlimited data. Nothing else to say about that. And there will be a Jellybean ROM in no time. I'm not worried about it. Touchwiz does look freaking terrible though, and I wish Samsung would just recognize that Google has figured out the UI thing.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
why I should get this phone when my Galaxy Nexus will have Jelly Bean around the time this phone is released? I already prordered it.

Speaking of Nexus phones, ics was released in October 2011,and the Sprint Nexus S got the final ics push about 6 months later. By final push, I am disregarding any ota that was pulled or otherwise halted. There were other phones that received ics before the final ics push on the Sprint Nexus S. So don't just assume that in all cases, Nexus phones will get the update very shortly after a new version announcement.

Personally, I chose not to get the gnex because of the subpar radio. Of course, the S3 CDMA radio is unknown, so I may return the S3 should the radio prove disappointing.

Last edited:

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Speaking of Nexus phones, ics was released in October 2011,and the Sprint Nexus S got the final ics push over 6 months later. By final push, I am disregarding any other that was pulled or otherwise halted. There were other phones that received ics before the final ics push on the Sprint Nexus S. So don't just assume that in all cases, Nexus phones will get the update very shortly after a new version announcement.

Personally, I chose not to get the gnex because of the subpar radio. Of course, the S3 CDMA radio is unknown, so I may return the S3 should the radio prove disappointing.

Look how long it took the verizon version to get 4.0.4 update when the gsm nexus got it months before.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
btw, there is already a gs3 running jelly bean. If you. MUST have Jelly Bean now on your verizon gs3 which you dont have yet, then you can. Of course, not much works, but hey, I am not the one super antsy about jelly bean.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
btw, there is already a gs3 running jelly bean. If you. MUST have Jelly Bean now on your verizon gs3 which you dont have yet, then you can. Of course, not much works, but hey, I am not the one super antsy about jelly bean.

Where? Must be a port from the Nexus. Considering how difficult it is (i'm currently F5'ing no less than 6 different JB OTA threads) to get it on even a regular GSM Nexus, I sort of doubt this. But if you have pictures of it actually on an S3 I would more than appreciate it. :)

Sent from my TARDIS

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Where? Must be a port from the Nexus. Considering how difficult it is (i'm currently F5'ing no less than 6 different JB OTA threads) to get it on even a regular GSM Nexus, I sort of doubt this. But if you have pictures of it actually on an S3 I would more than appreciate it. :)

Sent from my TARDIS

Sure, it was an sdk port.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1737449

Prozak

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
why I should get this phone when my Galaxy Nexus will have Jelly Bean around the time this phone is released? I already prordered it.

If someone needs to convince you, then you shouldn't have pre ordered it. That mentality seems iOSish

I dont care if you do or dont get one. Use whichever works for you.

Sent from my DINC2: Electric Boogaloo

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Meh, that's highly unstable.

I'm on the OTA port currently and it's the bee's knees.

Mr. Worley, if you have a Nexus and it is rooted/unlocked, come to the rooting subforum to taste the Jelly Beans :).

Well, I did say that not much works. It isn't something that I would be installing. But, if you MUST have Jelly Bean on the s3, then it is possible.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Well, I did say that not much works. It isn't something that I would be installing. But, if you MUST have Jelly Bean on the s3, then it is possible.

Someone will figure out a better way. Thankfully the Nexus cats can get a more...direct version.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Someone will figure out a better way. Thankfully the Nexus cats can get a more...direct version.

Of course, I am sure something better will come. the op seemed obsessed with jb on a phone that verizon hasn't even released yet,hence why I posted it.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Of course, I am sure something better will come. the op seemed obsessed with jb on a phone that verizon hasn't even released yet,hence why I posted it.

Such is life with Android; you get the new hotness and it's "obsolete" in two weeks, even without being "released." :)

bworley50

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Meh, that's highly unstable.

I'm on the OTA port currently and it's the bee's knees.

Mr. Worley, if you have a Nexus and it is rooted/unlocked, come to the rooting subforum to taste the Jelly Beans :).

Concerned about the wifi issue. How's it working for you? I will flash this later today when I have time.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Concerned about the wifi issue. How's it working for you? I will flash this later today when I have time.

With franco r201, like a champ. Apparently JD or JB's build (whatever the other build is on RW) also fixes it.

FWIW, both Liquid and DroidTh3ory are baking custom roms from it as we speak. I presume we'll see a DT/AXIOM rom within a few hours.