Verizon Billing - over billing for data - heads up!

ba4g

May 22, 2012
Visit site
Pries it away. No doubt. It's their grand plan! I went and bought a GS3 from someone who couldn't pay the bills so I could keep my unlimited. Certainly more than the $200, but it will pay back once my wife gets on a real phone and now that 4G is wide spread, the new HD media coming down the wireless pipeline is going to push data consumption through the roof. This isn't priced in yet. Just wait another 24 months, everyone is going to be mad as hell.

oldAGE

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Again... I believe that posters need to read and not skim... First off, I understand the differences and the nuances of being billed for actuals, rollups, apps, widgets, and all the things that are designed to both make you aware of what you are using and what you should be billed for. I also understand that nothing is perfect. What I don't expect is precision. I do expect accuracy. If you read the post, I believe I mentioned that I was billed for over 20 times my My Verizon Mobile app data report and my My Verizon onlline report (and both reported nearly the same number - Online was more precise) and nearly 5 times my phone's Data Usage tool.
Secondly, there is no widget on the phone. That's been dead for months. I use the integrated My Verizon Mobile app. That app talks to the My Verizon Manager for the account. On any given day, it could be 24-36 hours in arrears. What I have been able to tell, it's usually accurate (in synch with My Verizon) within four hours. I compare all three on a regular basis -- My Verizon Mobile app, My Verizon Online, and my S3 Data Usage tool. All do a pretty good job and are relatively accurate to each other. I did some controls when I first got the phone to see how well they worked. Plus or minus 3%. This is why I am confident about my post.
So when my phone says "Used 250MB in this period," My Verizon Mobile says "Used 50MB in this period," and My Verizon says "Used 50MB in this period," I expect to receive a Data Used portion of my bill of 50MB and therefore, be exceedingly under my contract rate. But when I receive a usage report of 1.2GB (1,200MB), I get suspicious (and then write these types of posts).
Finally, I also understand the law and contracts. I am not throwing up threats... that was a bit of sarcasm. But if this continues, becomes a trend for my bill, or becomes a trend across the users on this board, then you bet, we should form a class. Verizon can drop me anytime they want. $6600 of contract revenue is what they stand to lose from me. I am OK with that.

rockhopperGS3

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Go to the verizon website and check the detailed data usage for your last months bill it should show daily how much data you used. I had to do it once when they overbilled me for my first month with this phone and didnt tell me exactly how much data I was prorated, so I was refunded my $10 fee. Many people go over usage and have to pay the fee but it is usually expected, if you are having fees every month you need to call them and find out what the problem is, because I dont see nearly enough people complaining to think about a class action. Ive never had a problem working it out with them when I ask nicely and say what they want to hear.

oldAGE

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Oh my god... read the thread. Not only do I manage my data on the My Verizon App, I manage it on My Verizon on verizonwireless.com and on my S3 Data Usage function. I know exactly how much data I use on my phone and across WiFi and wireless. I have calculated the validity of the Data Usage function and determined that on average, it is accurate to about +-3% which is far below (better) than Ethernet packet overhead on a wired connection.

Here are today's stats: Today, 25 Oct - my billing cycle ends. For the month of my billing cycle, as of this writing (see time stamp) My Verizon App reports 152MB of data used (this is wireless). A recent VZW software update (on or around 16 Oct due to VZW needing to replace my SIM) wiped my Data Usage settings (nice job VZW) shows that I have used 164Mb of total data since 16 Oct. Let's quintuple that and then round up and call it 1GB of total data used per the phone - a gross over estimation according to VZWs report of my account usage in 2012. According to My Verizon (online), my wireless data usage is 155.65MB. So, it breaks down that I have sent around 155MB over the air to VZW and 845MB over the air to 802.11 devices. On my bill, other than what I consume today as the last day of my billing cycle, I suspect that Verizon will report that I used 160-170MB of data. As I have a tiered plan, my data usage costs should be $0.

Now to address your statement about calling them and finding out what the problem is. I did do that and they credited me for all costs associated with data (but billed me over $60 for expected credits which is a completely different story) and they reported that this was an isolated event and there is no problem. That's the problem and that's why I wrote this thread. Unbeknownst to many folks out there, there is a 70/30 rule. Nine out of ten people will pay little attention to their bill detail. Seven out of ten people will notice a variance. Three out of ten people will scrutinize their bill and do something about it. The remaining seven will simply not bother and pay what is ever on the bottom line.

I used this forum as a platform to say -- heads up!!! to all those people who are changing devices and plans. I just happened to be one of those people whose contract both expired around the time of the Share Everything launch and one of those people who upgraded to a 4G handset and was forced out of the unlimited data to a new contract (be it tiered or Share Everything). There are still millions of customers who are not affected by these events but they will be over the next 21 months. This is a warning to them. If Verizon is able to ding seven out of ten people an extra $10-$40 per month for a single billing cycle, then for every 10 million customers, they stand to reap $175 million in erroneous billing revenue. If you don't think that warrants a class action, then I think you need to go back to law school.

Right now, Verizon has the benefit of the doubt that they have a billing system problem and it's probably tied to every customer like me who converts from an unlimited data account to a new tiered plan. Or it's every existing customer who ups their contract in the past X months. Or it's a major programming error across the board. I don't know. I am just telling the story of my situation and you can see others who have the same including you. My issue was across two billing cycles so I am seeing repeated egregious billing errors. When we sit there with our blinders on and only worry about ourselves, then all is lost.

So, moral of the story. Look at every bill. I have to manage four devices and four separate data tiers. I am highly sensitive now that we no longer have unlimited data and my historical usage has dropped from years of many GB per month to only a few hundred MB per month. My VZW radar and BS detector is on high-alert.

flatblader

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
@AGE I agree with you - they have to be watched very closely. I was overbilled by $90 on my last statement ($10 in phantom data overages while I was in Europe and unable to use data at all, plus a bunch of other stuff related to the trip). My wife is one of those people who just pays the bill without looking at it, so it had already been paid by the time I noticed the erroneous charges. They agreed to credit it all back, but it took a lot of time on the phone to get it straight. My cycle ends today as well and I know I'm close to my 2GB limit, but I can't see how close because the widget stopped updating. Their last update showed me at 1.79GB on the afternoon of 10/23 and I haven't been able to get an update since. My phone says 1.82GB, but I guess I'll just have to wait and see what they bill me for.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

oldAGE

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Flatblader - Don't wait. Simply go to verizonwireless.com and log onto your My Verizon tab and go to your data usage report. It should show you current and historical usage including detail of your last billing cycle that just ended. Furthermore, forget the widget. They reported that defunct months ago. Simply use the My Verizon Mobile app embedded on the phone (but do it connected to wifi :) ). Here you will get the mobile version which is a bit off from the more detailed online version but is a good general sanity check. And don't let them off the hook. Go look at your bill and go back a few months (unless you just recently changed plans).

Thanks for participating. I will be opening a new thread once my bill is published.

oldAGE

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Flatblader - and others -
For the record... I just went onto the online My Verizon page and looked at my accounts and ran the Analysis tool. Heads up... Verizon is grossly over reporting data usage and this will warrant a phone call to them for escalation to their systems folks. Right now, they report my wireless data usage at over 1GB which is in stark contrast to their Data Usage tools that report my billing cycle that just closed as under 200MB using the Verizon Mobile Data network. The Data Usage function on the S3 is estimated at a total of under 1GB (I had to extrapolate and I did so by a huge margin of error because of a technical problem that required me to replace my SIM. Evidently, the Data Usage is stored on the SIM and not on the RAM of the phone... that's special). That should be at least 80% wifi usage so, sure 1GB total usage, 200 MB wireless, and 800 MB wifi.

Maybe Verizon is reading the device totals and shoving them into their analytic tools and then using that data in their billing rather than true over-the-air mobile data for my account. I don't know. I should see my bill posted in five days or so. Just a heads up for those that want to take the time. For me, I see this as a dangerous trend until I get real answers.

Taylor7617

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Curious...last post on this thread was in Oct. Now being middle of January...any updates? Continued billing issues?

I have VZW and just upgraded wife and I to the GS3 from basic phones. Any info is appreciated.

Dae Woo

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I AM HAVING THIS EXACT SAME ISSUE AND IT'S DRIVING ME CRAZY.

My mother's phone is being charged for 11-13 gbs of data overages.

This is insane, because she doesn't even USE the internet.

We did a factory reset, replaced the phone, turned off mobile data, AND STILL this continues to happen.

Finally thought they had a solution when they claimed that because we had lost our phone, and gotten it replaced,

that they had failed to enter in that the phone had been replaced, that the person who took the old phone was using the data.

They claimed after they entered our number on to the list the issue should be fixed.

NOPE.

This is the craziest thing ever. The mobile data usage in settings shows 50 MB's of usage in a month, they are claiming we are using 13 GB's!

I've been on the phone with them for hours about this issue.

Sure they credit us back, BUT THEY AREN'T FIXING THE ISSUE!

Also i have the note 2 not the s3.

Rocky Thomas

May 2, 2015
Visit site
Problem is still on-going... In our neighborhood, 15 - 18 miles out in the middle of nowhere, everyone is using VZW internet, because land line internet simply doesn't exist. Bell Telephone doesn't mind billing you for it, but it is not there!!! Takes literally minutes to connect to simple HTML pages. No one is pirating signal out here, the homes are too far apart, passers by would be too obvious parked beside the highway in front of the house.

We were constantly running over on our combined package here at the house, so my wife upgraded our package, didn't come close to using our combined total on the package for months, used almost half what we had for several months prior. Now we are constantly creeping up on combined total on the package again. Not using the internet any differently now than we were, yet our use has climbed above what it was before upping the package.

Mother-in-law's doctor has taken her off her Nook, said at her age, with Glaucoma, she didn't need to be staring at a computer screen all the time. Fine if she reads, but books only. Have lost downloading 4 - 8 books a month, yet our usage still climbed to levels exceeding previous use.

I spend 6 months out of state, half way across the country. Year before last, I rented apartment next door to the bar in town. Bartender/Owner gave me the password for the Bar's internet, I had NO internet use at all on my connection . Yet we still met limits on our package. While my wife and I both were in an apartment half way across the country, neither of us using VZW service at all, received notice account had used 75% of connection. Within hours received notice account had used 90% of connection. Before the night was over account use had exceeded data usage. VZW's excuse... warnings are not real time, they are delayed. ADVISED NO ONE HAD USED DATA ON THE ACCOUNT FOR DAYS!! Neither of us had used internet connection for months, no one at home was using internet connection. They decided it was an error in the warning system, would monitor account and adjust billing if it appeared in error.

Neighbor 2 miles down the road was having same problem with VZW internet, began watching her data usage... data transfers at night while she was asleep, during the day while no one was at home. Unplugged her wireless card for several days... Found use on her wireless card, while unplugged. Verizon adjusted her bill.

Local country store is having same problem, claim he's exceeding data limits. No one using it for much other than the ATM. VZW claims someone is pirating signal. He unplugged it as much as possible, unfortunately that creates problems every time anyone wants to use the ATM. No resolve to date, still no one using internet, still exceeding data limits, with wireless card unplugged half the time.

Father's business account... Use has not changed since connected. Had no problem for the first 6 months or so, now suddenly he's exceeding data limit every month mysteriously. Last month supposedly exceeded his 15 GB plan by 9 GB. Billed $90 for data exceeding his plan limit. This month started receiving notices the second day of billing cycle, that he had used 75% of data limit, blew it off as an error in warning system. Has been on the phone with Verizon every day for several days now. They indicate all use is over his wireless internet connection, not his phone... he still has an analog phone, doesn't text, only VERY OCCASIONALLY receives a text from anyone. He hasn't been in the office half as much this month or last month as he was for the last 6 months, use should be considerably lower, but it's rising every month. Data usage indicated 17 GB used yesterday, today showed 22 GB used - in less than 12 hours - with the computer and wireless card shut off over 8 hours of that last night. Problem is not as of yet resolved.

Sister 2 had same problem some time ago, contacted VZW customer service, after much discussion received credit on her account. Same crap the following month, and the following month, and the month after that; adjusted each time, but probolem persisted. Now have internet through VZW, used very little, for nothing other than work, all phones in the house are on Smart Talk.

Sister 1 had same problem, said she sits on the computer all day at work, doesn't want to look at it at home. Unplugged her wireless card 2 months ago, has nothing but her phone, has used the phone as nothing but a phone. No data transfer aside from occasional simple text message... Last month's bill indicated in excess of 14 GB data transfer. Billing cycle ends tomorrow for this month, exceeding 15 GB data Transfer this month, with the wireless internet card turned off.

It is not an isolated problem, everyone simply thinks it's isolated.

Last edited:

jasd6275432679

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
This is why I go prepaid all the way! No surprise charges, no contract, no commitment. If I'm not happy with their service or if I feel like I'm being ripped off by over-exaggerated data usage I am free to change carriers at the drop of a hat. There are plenty of prepaid carriers that use the Verizon network so I wouldn't even have to change my device. Especially now that 4G devices both Android and iPhone are available via prepaid there's no reason to stick with a contract phone. I looked into contract phone so I could get a newer phone and the monthly bill for the same data + unlimited everything was going to be $15 more for one phone. $45/month prepaid vs. $60 for contract for 1 gb of data. Why would anyone choose to be strangled with a contract and also be willing to pay more (unless having the newest phone is important maybe)??? They also have bonus data (an extra 1gb) for signing up for autopay. My only sacrifice is that I don't have the "latest and greatest" phone but I could care less.

Win-Win for me!