connect pc though usb is it true that ics remove mass storage

y2jman

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
i'm trying to decide onto what next phone to get either droid 4 razr maxx or galaxy 3

was sure of galaxy 3 however i keep reading that mass storage been remove and only 2 options comes up are mtp or ptp i'm on windows vista btw

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I am on an even older operating system than the one you are on (XP) and can connect just fine. Have never had a problem, can even connect to a Mac.

y2jman

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
i'm just afraid that if i get a galaxy 3 once it connect to pc the mass storage won't show up i don't wanna select mpt or ptp

it would be nice if somebody has a windows vista on here can tell me if mass storage does in fact come up when connect pc

Since9600

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
i'm just afraid that if i get a galaxy 3 once it connect to pc the mass storage won't show up i don't wanna select mpt or ptp

it would be nice if somebody has a windows vista on here can tell me if mass storage does in fact come up when connect pc
No "mass storage".. Only thing I hate about this phone... it's a huge handicap to me..

y2jman

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
so it will in fact come up those 2 options mpt and ptp correct ? hmm that's not a good thing might have to seek out 1 of those other phones then

do you have windows vista btw

Since9600

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Never used Vista to be honest. Jumped straight to Win 7.. OS don't matter though it just doesn't have the 'mass storage' option. Only MTP/PTP. It sucks because I have to keep transferring things to my SD card.. then every week I back up by putting card in my laptop.. no other way really..

y2jman

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
is mtp hard to do can i handle it or should i'll just ignore this phone go to a different phone that still include mass storage like a razr maxx and i guess a droid 4

Since9600

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
nothing hard about it, I plug it in and it works in a very limited sort of way.. I really love the phone but hate MTP/PTP..First it's slow as heck, you can't plug it into a car using 'mass storage' so no music with tags.. I used to back things up on my phone as a flash drive and CAN'T do that anymore.. Despite the reasons given, I just get the feeling it's really done to dumb the phones down a tad for the masses, one less thing for people to screw up..

y2jman

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
well if mtp is slow then i'll guess won't be getting galaxy s3 then i'm currently on my droid r2d2 phone i like using usb mass storage
thus i must have a phone that has mass storage on it not just mtp/ptp

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
you are man;224ell if mtp is slow then i'll guess won't be getting galaxy s3 then i'm currently on my droid r2d2 phone i like using usb mass storage
thus i must have a phone that has mass storage on it not just mtp/ptp
What exactly is it that you are worried about not being able to do?

y2jman

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
i just want to have the ability to change to usb mass storage don't have to worry about mpt/ptp
plus if its going to a take a long time copy mp3 songs and pics on computer using mpt to phone then i'll pass on galaxy 3

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
i just want to have the ability to change to usb mass storage don't have to worry about mpt/ptp
plus if its going to a take a long time copy mp3 songs and pics on computer using mpt to phone then i'll pass on galaxy 3

Vista supports Mtp, you do not need to change anything. I have a 64GB card with several gigs of music that I transfered with no issues at all. In addition, i have transfered tons of photos as well. Forgive me, but I am not understanding your need for usb?

blade22222

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I have win 7 and when I plug in via usb i see both internal and external sd cards.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Since9600

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
I don't think many folks understand or care about the advantages of the "mass storage" option or what it was able to do as they never used it for that ... I used my storage space as a flash drive, not just for pictures and music.. I was able to plug my phone in at work, and continue working on documents I had home and run lots of 'portable apps' from my phone on the computer because it was that fast!.. I was able to plug my phone into my cars USB and have browsable music with tags on my car radio screen.. I was able to use my phone for everything! I no longer have this option as can't use for mass storage.. Now I have to carry around a separate USB drive..

Last edited:

y2jman

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
well i'm still on the fences on what next phone will prob won't get one until 1st or 2nd week in nov i'll might get this not sure due to mass storage gone i'm on a dell computer

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I don't think many folks understand or care about the advantages of the "mass storage" option or what it was able to do as they never used it for that ... I used my storage space as a flash drive, not just for pictures and music.. I was able to plug my phone in at work, and continue working on documents I had home and run lots of 'portable apps' from my phone on the computer because it was that fast!.. I was able to plug my phone into my cars USB and have browsable music with tags on my car radio screen.. I was able to use my phone for everything! I no longer have this option as can't use for mass storage.. Now I have to carry around a separate USB drive..

While I agree with your assessment of the nuances of MTP vs. USB, and the lack of knowledge, I did not want to go into detail about the pros & cons of MTP/USB and confuse OP. The OP indicated a concern about the ability of his A.) operating system being able to use MTP, and B.) moving photos & music and wanted to address those issues only (both of which he can do easily). Correct me if I am mistaken, but he did not address a concern about being able to edit documents, "portable apps", and the USB car issue. While those issues are important to you, the OP did not indicate as much. I too use my phone heavily for business, in ways others do not, and have customized and tweaked it to suite my needs. His questions did not indicate him wanting to use his phone in ways you or I would. If his main hesitation/fear was the inability to accomplish those 2 things, then his concern is unfounded. ;);)

BTW, have you thought of using LogMeIn, Dropbox, FTP, to continue to work on business documents?

y2jman

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
While I agree with your assessment of the nuances of MTP vs. USB, and the lack of knowledge, I did not want to go into detail about the pros & cons of MTP/USB and confuse OP. The OP indicated a concern about the ability of his A.) operating system being able to use MTP, and B.) moving photos & music and wanted to address those issues only (both of which he can do easily). Correct me if I am mistaken, but he did not address a concern about being able to edit documents, "portable apps", and the USB car issue. While those issues are important to you, the OP did not indicate as much. I too use my phone heavily for business, in ways others do not, and have customized and tweaked it to suite my needs. His questions did not indicate him wanting to use his phone in ways you or I would. If his main hesitation/fear was the inability to accomplish those 2 things, then his concern is unfounded. ;);)

BTW, have you thought of using LogMeIn, Dropbox, FTP, to continue to work on business documents?

y2jman

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm not trying to be difficult i'm not much of a person who takes alot of pics but I do have alot of songs mp3 in my music folder and 84 ringtones/notifications also forgot to mention I also transfer wallpapers onto phone if I copy like 3,4 songs mp3,using mtp format instead usb mass prob take awhile just for 2 i guess don't know much in mpt/ptp don't think ever use them before esp mpt part

Since9600

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
using mtp format instead usb mass prob take awhile just for 2 i guess don't know much in mpt/ptp don't think ever use them before esp mpt part

For that you are fine and honestly all new phones seem to use MTP.. Like I said originally, I just plug it in and it works fine for that basic use! I do love this phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa