Voice Navigation from Contacts

nj1266

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Hi I have an S3 and an iphone 5. The S3 is on Jelly Bean. I am trying to get the S3 to voice navigate from my contacts like I do with the iphone 5 with Siri. With the 5 you press the home button and tell the phone to "navigate to John Fox" The phone then opens Maps and starts turn-by-turn navigation to the address of John in your contacts. I tried the microphone in the google search box but it did not work. I tried google now by pressing the home button and then google now and speaking but that did not work. I tried by opening the navigation and touching the microphone button and speaking and that did not work.

How can I get the S3 to use my contacts when navigating? TIA

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
If I use S-Voice (double tap the home button), say 'Lookup John Doe'. It willfind the contact and present it. I can then tap a phone number or tap an address (they may have a home and work), and it will call or map them.

albertdc

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
That's better than nothing, but not as good as his example and not fully hands free.

I CAN'T believe that neither Google nor Samsung implemented this. After reading the OP, I tried every command and combination I could think of and could not get it to navigate to a contact's address. I'm still holding out hope that someone else will have the full answer!

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

rvhighway

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Google did implement it. It works for me on my S3, just as described by the op on his iphone. I double tapped the home button, up popped the Google Voice Search and then I said, "Navigate to XXXXXX." The XXXXXX was a name in my contact list that had an address associated with it.

Google then opened up a quick map of the destination and responded with, "navigating." It then it opend up the Google Maps Navigation app and spoke the.beginning of the directions to me.

Here's where we may differ. I'm rooted and ROM'd with Synergy (revision 147). If it doesn't work with the os as it comes from VZW, blame VZW for messing it up. If you want it to work, unlock, root and ROM the phone (with Synergy) and it will work great - just as it came from Google.

nj1266

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Ditto. Make sure you're telling it to navigate to a contact that has an address with it.

I did just that and it still did not work. I made sure that my contacts on my gmail account are the same as the ones on my phone. It seems that it works for some but not for others.

Sent from my iPhone 7

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Google did implement it. It works for me on my S3, just as described by the op on his iphone. I double tapped the home button, up popped the Google Voice Search and then I said, "Navigate to XXXXXX." The XXXXXX was a name in my contact list that had an address associated with it.

Google then opened up a quick map of the destination and responded with, "navigating." It then it opend up the Google Maps Navigation app and spoke the.beginning of the directions to me.

Here's where we may differ. I'm rooted and ROM'd with Synergy (revision 147). If it doesn't work with the os as it comes from VZW, blame VZW for messing it up. If you want it to work, unlock, root and ROM the phone (with Synergy) and it will work great - just as it came from Google.

On my stock rom.
If I double tap, I get S-Voice. If I say "Navigate to xxxx", it does NOT search contacts for xxxx, it does an online search. To search contacts I need to say "Look up". For me, S-Voice recognition is good.
If I manually trigger Google Search and say "Navigate to xxxx", Google only searches online. I've never gotten Google to search for a contact, ever.