Syncing S III to MS Outlook 7 and Battery Issues

Mschlesi

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
I am new to Android and have an S III. Two areas that I need help are Syncing to MS Outlook and what I perceive to be a fast battery drain.

I am using Kies to sync between MS Outlook 7 but it is slow and cludgy at best. I have heard of several others some free and some for purchase but none seem to stand out. Any help would be appreciated.

My battery seems to be draining at a fast rate. It was 100% this morning and in 4 hours it has drained to 57% with an indicator that about 4 hours remain. I have followed the guidelines posted to reduce the drain but am wondering if I am missing something. My screen is at 46%, Google Services at 13%, Android System and OS at 11% each which a represents the majority of use.

Please advise.

friedtators

May 27, 2013
Visit site
battery drain is number one issue owners have with their smartphones. your usage look inline with what would be expected. i was a long time outlook user and for me it was the calendar. yesterday google updated the calendar so you could put colors on appointments. its is good enough for outlook users now. it is so nice to have the information somewhere sync is never an issue and you can access it from more than one place. thats all i got..

FishenFool

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I am new to Android and have an S III. Two areas that I need help are Syncing to MS Outlook and what I perceive to be a fast battery drain.

I am using Kies to sync between MS Outlook 7 but it is slow and cludgy at best. I have heard of several others some free and some for purchase but none seem to stand out. Any help would be appreciated.

Please advise.

First off by Outlook 7, do you mean Outlook 2007?
Might want to look into DejaOffice for Android (free) and CompanionLink (paid) for the PC. Just make sure you pay close attention to setup tutorials at both websites and pay close heed to field mappings for contacts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Mschlesi

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
Great, Thanks...will look into both those offerings. Yes, I did mean Outlook 2007/Windows 7...If I use either one, is it recommended to delete the contacts/calendar on the S III that I originally transferred with Kies or can I sync over it?

FishenFool

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Great, Thanks...will look into both those offerings. Yes, I did mean Outlook 2007/Windows 7...If I use either one, is it recommended to delete the contacts/calendar on the S III that I originally transferred with Kies or can I sync over it?

Should wipe first. I think the DejaOffice offers to do that during the setup wizard but I don't remember. DejaOffice sets up a DejaOffice account for the contacts and calendar events to sync into. For contacts the categories you have assigned in Outlook should have corresponding groups created in the contacts app on the phone. You edit your contacts in the DejaContacts portion of DejaOffice. If you use custom ringtones for different contacts it is found in the phone numbers section of editing a contact. CompanionLink can also be tried first before purchasing it. I have been a user of Outlook since before 2000 and this is the best solution I have found.

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I did hear that Google has improved email and calendar...Need to figure out if I want to transition..,Thanks

I was a long time user of Outlook, mostly business related, when I got my first Android phone. Android is so tied to Google you will be much happier going to Gmail and the Google calendar. I have Outlook 2010 on my computers and have it gather my other email accounts, but not sync or use the calendar other than as info. Gmail, IMO, works great, as does the calendar. I use Calendar Pad Pro on my SIII and am very happy with it and the web based Gmail and Calendar.

FishenFool

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I was a long time user of Outlook, mostly business related, when I got my first Android phone. Android is so tied to Google you will be much happier going to Gmail and the Google calendar. I have Outlook 2010 on my computers and have it gather my other email accounts, but not sync or use the calendar other than as info. Gmail, IMO, works great, as does the calendar. I use Calendar Pad Pro on my SIII and am very happy with it and the web based Gmail and Calendar.

I don't want to have all my data in the cloud.

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I don't want to have all my data in the cloud.

All the email that I wish to keep is on my laptop in Outlook. I don't care if the calendar stuff is cloud based.

Plus, where do you think all the email is that you get?

FishenFool

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
All the email that I wish to keep is on my laptop in Outlook. I don't care if the calendar stuff is cloud based.

Plus, where do you think all the email is that you get?

My email is all IMAP so it's available on whatever device I connect with. I don't absolutely trust the cloud in case I ever have my portable device crash and I have to restore my data.