Verizon Galaxy S3 won't connect via USB to my computer

tarfoot

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Re: S3 won't connect via USB to my computer

It sounds like you're using a "charge-only" cable (only 4 pins present) vs. a "data cable" (all 5 pins present).
If that's not the case then you haven't provided us enough information to go on.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 4

Thank you much, after trying all of the above without success, I read your post and do some checking. Sure enough the cable I was using is for just charging. Found a cable from a previous phone that has a tag on it saying "Backup Assistance Plus, music, picture, documents, etc. and Connect your mobile device to your computer via USB cable." Yep it definitely works for me like a charm.

zivia

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site

I downloaded Kies Air to my computer and followed all the instructions but it would never connect to my smartphone. I tried the troubleshoot button, but that never fixed it. When I searched for solutions on the web, I found a lot of people had trouble with Kies Air, so I just gave up. I tried the suggestion about about downloading the drivers to my computer, but that didn't work either. Guess I'm going to have to haul it back to the store.

zivia

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site

Ah, maybe this is my problem too! How do I tell if my cable is 4 pins or 5 pins? It came with the phone so I assumed it was the correct cable. Maybe Samsung didn't include a 5 pin cable in the set, which pisses me off considering how much money the damn phone cost me!

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

zivia

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site

My smartphone shows up in the unspecified device folder as a modem but there is no way to delete the device, only to eject it. Any ideas on what to do?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

Any ideas on what to do?
1. Try providing the information that was requested - what OS is on the PC?
2. Did you try any of the apps that were suggested, rather than worrying about the USB method?
3. Have you tried installing the Kies software without the phone connected via USB, and then connecting the phone?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

DarkForceX

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site

Make sure the Samsung drivers are installed. Power off your phone. Power on the phone in Download mode. (Volume Down + Home + Power) Press Volume Up to continue. Once it's in Download mode, plug it into your computer. Windows should now discover it and load the driver. Once this is complete, unplug the phone from the computer, and pull the battery out of the phone to get out of Download mode. Replace the battery, and power on the phone like normal. It should connect to the computer properly.

FIXED

mrbowlman's solution worked on my Galaxy S3. For people who failed even with trying this solution Do the folowing: Make sure you have installed Samsung Kies on your Windows first. it will install samsung usb drivers together with kies. After you finish installing Kies. Uninstall the (Samsung USB driver only) from your system. Now shut off your phone and put it in download mode exactly as mrbowlman said and connect your phone with the usb cable to your pc, make it discover the phone with installing gadget serial. now take off the usb from your phone and put off the battery--> ( while its still in download mode ) now put back the battery in your phone and power on, when the phone has loaded the OS put the usb cable in it. and Windows 7 (as example) will reconize and download the Samsung USB Drivers automatically (make sure that you have enabled automatic updates for usb devices in Windows Update senction). and after the install succeed your pc will reconize the phone without problems. (If you ReInstall Samsung Kies together with the Samsung USB Drivers it might mess up the settings you just installed and you will need to follow every step from beginning again)

Sorry for my English. i hope it was clear enough.
Greetings. DarkForceX

sump22

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site

FIXED

mrbowlman's solution worked on my Galaxy S3. For people who failed even with trying this solution Do the folowing: Make sure you have installed Samsung Kies on your Windows first. it will install samsung usb drivers together with kies. After you finish installing Kies. Uninstall the (Samsung USB driver only) from your system. Now shut off your phone and put it in download mode exactly as mrbowlman said and connect your phone with the usb cable to your pc, make it discover the phone with installing gadget serial. now take off the usb from your phone and put off the battery--> ( while its still in download mode ) now put back the battery in your phone and power on, when the phone has loaded the OS put the usb cable in it. and Windows 7 (as example) will reconize and download the Samsung USB Drivers automatically (make sure that you have enabled automatic updates for usb devices in Windows Update senction). and after the install succeed your pc will reconize the phone without problems. (If you ReInstall Samsung Kies together with the Samsung USB Drivers it might mess up the settings you just installed and you will need to follow every step from beginning again)

Sorry for my English. i hope it was clear enough.
Greetings. DarkForceX

So I've tried this and everything else under the sun and my phone will still not recognize via USB. It will make the USB sound in the method you described above but when the phone goes back into regular mode still nothing.

Here is a list of what I've tried so far:

• The *#7284# and every combination of USB settings in there. Phone is currently in the default settings (MTP+ABD)
  • Phone restore
  • pull battery,sim card, microsd and try that way
  • the XDA 'fix' with an old version of Kies and a special set of INF files (here: Cannot fail connecting SGS3 to PC (Easy Solution) - xda-developers)
  • every thing listed in this thread
  • Samsung phone support said it was a PC problem and Microsoft support of course said it was a Samsung problem.

I've tried the phone on Windows 7 and Windows 8 computers. My wife's GS3 works fine on both of them, connects right away. So I know it is not the cable, OS, drivers, or anything like that. It's HAS to be an issue with the phone.

I cannot accept "use wireless" as a solution. I was actually trying to pull everything off the phone so I can sell it as I am getting a GS4 in the next few weeks. So I cannot resell a device that is not working properly.

Anyone out there have any other solutions for me to try? Any help would be appreciated and thank you for your time!

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

If your wife's S3 works fine then I'd agree that the problem involves your phone. Backup/sync whatever you can without a working USB connection and then perform a Factory Reset and just skip all of the activation/setup crap. If the phone still doesn't connect then you're SOL since in order to reload the firmware you have to have a working USB connection.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

sump22

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site

If your wife's S3 works fine then I'd agree that the problem involves your phone. Backup/sync whatever you can without a working USB connection and then perform a Factory Reset and just skip all of the activation/setup crap. If the phone still doesn't connect then you're SOL since in order to reload the firmware you have to have a working USB connection.

Yep, restore to factory default was my last attempt today and same crap. I think I'm just going to take it to the store and beat an employee with it until they give me a new one. :mad:

kbzip

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
Fix for Galaxy S3 - won't download with USB

Well, after reading the numerous threads and following the instructions through "battery removal to quit download", my S3 was no closer to communicating then when first begun. Additionally, I did not want the hassle of installing yet another program on my computer just to transfer files, i.e. Kies. So, after a bit more finagling, I have a solution to our pesky S3 problem. The fix is very painless, requiring only two 2 minor changes in the phone for Windows to recognize the S3 as a Device. With minimal toggling you will have complete access to the SD card as well as the phone's internal memory. (I'm still running Vista:-\, though the fix will likely work the same for 7 & 8 users). HERE'S HOW: Connect the Galaxy S3 to your computer via USB. Make the following changes in the S3: From the Settings Menu - Scroll to Developer Options - slide the Top Left Button to ON (you will be prompted with a note - Click OK); Scroll to USB Debugging - Click to Check; Exit from Settings (leaving the Develop Options button ON. You will return to and un-click the USB Debugging Option and Slide the Developer Options button to OFF once you have finished with your connection to the computer). NEXT: Go to the Notification Screen of your S3 (accessed by swiping your finger downwards from the top of the S3 screen). Click the prompt that says - Connected As A Media Device - Click Media Device (MTP). Your computer should now recognize your S3 in Windows Explorer under My Computer. It will likely be displayed as a drive listing the Model # of the Phone. NOTE: The S3 may also work in PTP Camera mode; however, you are likely better off switching to MTP as the other prompts you (every time) to download a device driver which it is unable to locate. Hope this helps :) P.S. Don't forget to format your MicroSD Card first, Why?...Because, it will save you much headache from closed programs, errors, and crashes like when accessing photos and movies in your Images Gallery. If you already forgot to format the card, it is worth going back and redoing. From your computer, empty or move your SD Card files to a USB or desktop folder (this is just temporary). In Explorer - Right Click on the SD Card - Click Format; Under File System - Choose FAT32 (Default). Do Not choose Quick Format if you haven't formatted the card before. It will warn you that you are about to delete all the files on the card, which is why you should have Already backed them up to a USB or another drive on your computer. Formatting the SD card may take around an hour, but it will tell the card how to handle filing everything you are going to throw on it. Thus, the next time you access the info or download the files to your computer it won't move like a dying slug. Lastly, another tidbit tip: Create a Folder on every SD Card, USB, or storage device you own. Name the Folder: OWNER of SD CARD or USB. Inside the folder, Create a File(s) with your contact information. This way, if you ever lose your card (with all your personal/business data), a good Samaritan may have a fighting chance at reuniting the two of you! ...Happy Downloading, Formatting, Computing, and Whatever Else!

Daniel Zimmermann

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site

I had the same problem (With my SIII Mini) and tried almost everything I found in many forum posts.
Finally I decided to make a factory reset (Google Samsung S3 factory reset should give you a manual).
Unbelievable, but now I can connect my device to the computer.

Maybe this helps some people...

Regards Daniel

DarkForceX

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site

So I've tried this and everything else under the sun and my phone will still not recognize via USB. It will make the USB sound in the method you described above but when the phone goes back into regular mode still nothing.

Here is a list of what I've tried so far:

• The *#7284# and every combination of USB settings in there. Phone is currently in the default settings (MTP+ABD)
  • Phone restore
  • pull battery,sim card, microsd and try that way
  • the XDA 'fix' with an old version of Kies and a special set of INF files (here: Cannot fail connecting SGS3 to PC (Easy Solution) - xda-developers)
  • every thing listed in this thread
  • Samsung phone support said it was a PC problem and Microsoft support of course said it was a Samsung problem.

I've tried the phone on Windows 7 and Windows 8 computers. My wife's GS3 works fine on both of them, connects right away. So I know it is not the cable, OS, drivers, or anything like that. It's HAS to be an issue with the phone.

I cannot accept "use wireless" as a solution. I was actually trying to pull everything off the phone so I can sell it as I am getting a GS4 in the next few weeks. So I cannot resell a device that is not working properly.

Anyone out there have any other solutions for me to try? Any help would be appreciated and thank you for your time!

This issue is just getting more worse. my phone did connect for days. i didnt update any drivers did not touch anything of te GS3's settings and now my phone did not connect again ........ i did the same steps again wich i told. and it reconizes again... I have never seen a issue like this. how comes it works fine for few days and then stops working ...... i ust looked if the problem came after i reboot the phone but no. after a reboot its still working. but im sure my windows will stop reconizing after few days. if it happens i will post here again. But another question for you. When you plug usb cable in your device while its in download mode, Does it install the Gadget Serial properly ?. does it say something like ''USB modern device'' and another one (i forget the name) installed properly ?. Or do you see '' Gadget Serial failed to install '' ?

sump22

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
Re: Fix for Galaxy S3 - won't download with USB

HERE'S HOW: Connect the Galaxy S3 to your computer via USB. Make the following changes in the S3: From the Settings Menu - Scroll to Developer Options - slide the Top Left Button to ON (you will be prompted with a note - Click OK); Scroll to USB Debugging - Click to Check; Exit from Settings (leaving the Develop Options button ON. You will return to and un-click the USB Debugging Option and Slide the Developer Options button to OFF once you have finished with your connection to the computer). NEXT: Go to the Notification Screen of your S3 (accessed by swiping your finger downwards from the top of the S3 screen). Click the prompt that says - Connected As A Media Device - Click Media Device (MTP). Your computer should now recognize your S3 in Windows Explorer under My Computer. It will likely be displayed as a drive listing the Model # of the Phone. NOTE: The S3 may also work in PTP Camera mode; however, you are likely better off switching to MTP as the other prompts you (every time) to download a device driver which it is unable to locate. Hope this helps :)

See the problem is for a lot of us that the MTP/PTP doesn't appear at all in the notifications area It's like the USB function is totally disabled and not recoverable.

Richard Maxey

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site

I am having the same exact problem. Here at work I take pictures and upload them to my PC via my USB cable. IT USED TO WORK. It still does on my home computer...discovers external drive fine. This computer here at work does not recognize it...and without the computer discovering the phone, there's not anything I can do...Tried plugging in the USB cable in the Download mode, but nothing happened.....so I think the drivers are already loaded. Someone please help.

sump22

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site

Well I took my phone to the 'device support' center and they couldn't fix it either. The had some special Samsung reflash program and still nada. Had to of been a hardware issue with the phone. The extSDcard slot stopped reading cards as well. So I think something hardware related at the root of USB function on the phone was busted.

It was out of warranty but they did offer me a refurbed GS3 for $175 so I just bit the bullet and did it. :mad:

However with all the screwing around my MTP drivers got screwed up on my PC and the new phone wouldn't connect either! It connected to my wife's Win7 laptop just fine so I knew it was something I did when trying to get the bad phone to work.

So if anyone comes across this thread or via googling. If you are getting the MTP driver failed to load and phone won't connect, all of the long 'tutorials' I found did nothing.

However, if you go to C:\Windows\inf there is a file in there called wpdmtp.inf. I think my file may have gotten corrupted when trying all the fixes. I replaced that file with the one off my wife's PC and boom, phone connected right away and hopefully this issue is put to rest.

Warwicke36

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site

Hey guys.

I searched this forum and every other for a fix for this problem. Like everyone else I had NO USB connectivity to any computer, however my device would charge normally. I brought my phone into my local US Cellular repair center and they were positive it was a hardware issue. I asked them to reflash the stock OS onto the phone which they did. That was mostly a test on my part to see i they were bull****ting me or just overall clueless.... they were. They finished flashing 4.1.2 on my galaxy and still no USB connectivity. They said "youre out of warranty and you dont have insurance, your best bet is take it somewhere to get it repaired." Then the friendly saleswomen spoke up and said even though I'm 8 months from an upgrade she could likely get Customer Relations to use my 7,000 rewards points and extend my contract and I would walk out of the store with a brandy new galaxy s4. I thought it over and got caught up in the idea of it and 200 dollars later, make that 235 including the activation fee, i left with a new s4. fast forward 2 days later to today. Having a new phone already i said F it im going to root my s3. I had never rooted a phone before and was a little nervous. I figured if my phone connects to the computer via ODIN it cannot be a hardware issue. I WAS RIGHT I rooted my phone and rebooted it. Immediately the friendly little USB icon popped up and it told me I was connected. Since then I reinstalled the stock 4.1.1 software and it has been working flawlessly all night. I have connected and disconnected the device 50 times over the course of a few hours. Connects every time... SON OF A ***** Phone works as it should now I will likely be bringing the S4 back (within 15 days) for my refund.

I want everyone to know, if you have this issue and you can connect VIA ODIN its NOT HARDWARE

If you are unclear on how to access ODIN and download mode do your research, you can ruin your phone if you do things wrong. Make sure you get the right software for your carrier as well. They are not all the same.

Last edited: