PROS and CONS - purchasing HTC One With Verizon Versus Wirefly

dlinlcp

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Wirefly offers the HTC One for $150 versus VZ's ~$200 sticker. Further, I save by paying less tax (Wirefly bases it on $150.... VZ bases tax on full retail price) and don't need to wait on mail-in rebates. Seems like a great proposition.

A few questions:

1. Assuming I opt for VZ's insurance policy after activation, if the phone has an issue after the first 30 days, can I bring it into a VZ store to service it under the manufacturer's warranty?
2. I understand that there's a 181-day contract lockup for Wirefly but do I incur penalties if I stick with my VZ plan but decide to swap to another phone (and if I decide to sell my HTC One on the secondary market)?
3. This deal is a pre-order. What has been your experience with how long it takes Wirefly to receive phones at their distribution center? E.g., am I going to need to wait a week or longer after the Aug 22 release?
4. Any pitfalls to be aware of?

Thank you!

famouzstarz#AC

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Wirefly offers the HTC One for $150 versus VZ's ~$200 sticker. Further, I save by paying less tax (Wirefly bases it on $150.... VZ bases tax on full retail price) and don't need to wait on mail-in rebates. Seems like a great proposition.

A few questions:

1. Assuming I opt for VZ's insurance policy after activation, if the phone has an issue after the first 30 days, can I bring it into a VZ store to service it under the manufacturer's warranty?
2. I understand that there's a 181-day contract lockup for Wirefly but do I incur penalties if I stick with my VZ plan but decide to swap to another phone (and if I decide to sell my HTC One on the secondary market)?
3. This deal is a pre-order. What has been your experience with how long it takes Wirefly to receive phones at their distribution center? E.g., am I going to need to wait a week or longer after the Aug 22 release?
4. Any pitfalls to be aware of?

Thank you!

1. if you sign up for vzw's insurace (asuirion / total equipment whatever) i would assume they would honor it
2. you shouldnt be tacked with any fees the initial 181 day contract is just to make sure you dont cancel the line as it would affect wireflys subsidized price, well which they prey on so they can stick it to you with there etf
3. pre-order thru 3rd party usually takes a few extra days if you want it now go to a vzw corp store.
4. while 3rd party sales can be tempting i always steer clear of them, i prefer to deal with vzw corp stores. you get what you pay for if saving $50 is worth a few extra headaches they by all means save on!

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Last phone I bought from a third party vendor and had issues, took it to VZW and there like sorry but you have deal with store I bought it from. At time was best buy. So I learned to only deal with VZW corporate stores or VZW online. Insurance wise they don't care where u bought it from. Just pay the $100 deductible.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

famouzstarz#AC

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Last phone I bought from a third party vendor and had issues, took it to VZW and there like sorry but you have deal with store I bought it from. At time was best buy. So I learned to only deal with VZW corporate stores or VZW online. Insurance wise they don't care where u bought it from. Just pay the $100 deductible.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

one thing to add not all 3rd parties use asurion, they sometimes use there own insruance co.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
The vzw insurance is always there they may just not mention it and try to upsell there insurance packages. Best Buy is good at the.

one thing to add not all 3rd parties use asurion, they sometimes use there own insruance co.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Jules_Winnfield

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
I've been told by a friend that WireFly ships pretty quickly. He said he had his phone in 2 days the last time he ordered through them. They also have a 30-day price guarantee, which is pretty nice. Although, they don't price match anyone else to the best of my knowledge. The price is good and they don't charge tax for me, so that's an even bigger plus. My only fear is that someone else will offer it for far cheaper a week later.

I spoke to an Amazon Wireless rep and they have no details whatsoever on the HTC One for Verizon. He said the best I can do is wait until Thursday and check to see if they're offering it on the site. I was hoping Amazon would offer a discounted pre-order since I would prefer to deal with them over WireFly, but I'm leaning toward pre-ordering through WireFly now.

dlinlcp

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
I pre-ordered the VZ HTC One on Wirefly and I have yet to receive carrier confirmation...it's been over 48 hours already so I'm growing impatient. Within the same order, I bought two basic phones for my family plan that is in stock on the VZ website but is not in stock for Wirefly. As I understand it, as long as I buy Asurion for my HTC One, I'd be servicing any defects through VZ/Asurion and not Wirefly - so I'd like to think that as long as the phone arrives and I make it past the first 14 days, I'm in the clear.

I will keep everyone posted about my experience and also intend on posting on other consumer sites.

gerrya

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I purchased my Rezound at Amazon and it had a defective battery, brought it to Verizon store and they replaced the battery for me.

Groovysunflowers

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
I was wondering about this during the checkout process on Viva Movil. This will be my first time ordering a phone from a 3rd party and not Verizon directly. I've always been confused about how these things work. There was no Asurion option or anything as far as insurance options except an option for free "Damage and Extended Warranty Protection Info from eSecuritel." Does anyone know what that means? I've been paying for Asurion but never really needed it so will I continue to have that coverage or would I have to re purchase it from Verizon? I also don't mean to thread jack this at all, but this is the first time I'm actually controlling my phone purchase instead of the main account holder doing it and I have no clue about the insurance options or what they mean.

Bm96

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
I was wondering about this during the checkout process on Viva Movil. This will be my first time ordering a phone from a 3rd party and not Verizon directly. I've always been confused about how these things work. There was no Asurion option or anything as far as insurance options except an option for free "Damage and Extended Warranty Protection Info from eSecuritel." Does anyone know what that means? I've been paying for Asurion but never really needed it so will I continue to have that coverage or would I have to re purchase it from Verizon? I also don't mean to thread jack this at all, but this is the first time I'm actually controlling my phone purchase instead of the main account holder doing it and I have no clue about the insurance options or what they mean.
This is why I try not to deal with a different retailer other than Verizon not even mentioning on a release date.

I have no say in your purchase but I also have Asurion and if I were you I would refund the order and buy it through Verizon instead just to avoid any conflicts with that company when the phone releases, just my considerate 2?!

tetrismaster

Mar 5, 2010
Visit site
Correct me if I'm wrong, but there's an early termination fee (ETF) if you move the phone off the line in 6 months. I'm not 100% sure, but i think this includes moving the phone to a different line within a family plan. So if you're going to use that phone for 6 months, then Wirefly is a good way to go

scott5626

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
I'd avoid Wirefly and Let's Talk. It's such a pain in the a$$ to swap devices if there's any manufacturing issues, compared to just driving to Verizon and swapping it out.

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Either buy from a corporate store or have Best Buy price match Wirefly. At the very least, buy local, so much easier if something is wrong with it.

eclein

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I got asurion last time thru vzw and needed it as the moto droid 3 was replaced 4 times over my two year term-I'll avoid Motorola now- so that insurance is HUGE in my opinion.
Ordered this AM but they wouldn't let me pick up so it'll be here tomorrow, made sure I had the vzw asurion from the get go.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

famouzstarz#AC

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I got asurion last time thru vzw and needed it as the moto droid 3 was replaced 4 times over my two year term-I'll avoid Motorola now- so that insurance is HUGE in my opinion.
Ordered this AM but they wouldn't let me pick up so it'll be here tomorrow, made sure I had the vzw asurion from the get go.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

after 2/3 replacements of the same device in the 1yr manufacturer warranty with vzw you can request to switch to something else :) , i belive you can do the same with asurion