Sudden drop

dannyb884

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
So I have been one of the fortunate ones to not have any battery issues since I've owned my TB since release date, I would average about 11-12 hours (Standard battery). All of a sudden, the last 3 days, after 4 hours of being off the charger my phone is down to 30%. I checked the battery section in settings and saw that the Android System is now taking up 35% when it used to be below 10%. Anyone happen to know why this is and/or how it can be fixed?

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Can try shutting it down and taking the battery out for a couple minutes. I like to use the Battery Monitor app/widget so I can see if/when my phone is starting to use more juice than it should be. Usually if I do have that issue, a reboot will fix it but I've read that some people need to do a battery pull. It could also be a new app if you've recently installed anything.

Reactions: dannyb884

dannyb884

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Thanks! I've tried a reboot but haven't tried a battery pull yet. I'll try that option out and also look further into a possible app.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
So I have been one of the fortunate ones to not have any battery issues since I've owned my TB since release date, I would average about 11-12 hours (Standard battery). All of a sudden, the last 3 days, after 4 hours of being off the charger my phone is down to 30%. I checked the battery section in settings and saw that the Android System is now taking up 35% when it used to be below 10%. Anyone happen to know why this is and/or how it can be fixed?
I have noticed that occasionally, when I update a Market app, that it resets the default values for "background update" and "notify of updates in notification bar" and "notify of breaking news", etc. Even though I had all of that turned off previously. So, if you have updated any apps lately, take a look and see how they are set. Also check the main Market apps setting of "notify of app updates" (I turn mine off and check manually). Also, each app from the Market also allows you to select auto-update or not. I turn those off too.

You might think, what's the big deal with auto-updates or notification bar notification. Well, nothing is inherently wrong or terribly power consuming about those things. UNLESS, you just happen to have a misbehaving data signal and/or a misbehaving app that, when the data connection fails, continues incessantly attempting to connect and update, ad nauseum - until your battery runs down and/or your phone overheats. That's why I prefer to do most things manually. Whatever apps I allow to auto-sync or auto-update, etc., I watch very closely. And it's not hard because there are not many. Maybe Mail, Temperature. Not too many.

Just my thoughts.

-Frank

Reactions: dannyb884

d1ez3

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I got horrible drain today starting at 11am for no reason. Turned off mobile network still bad, went to airplane mode then it was good, 29mA. I guess its the radio?

simp_10

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
I noticed the same battery drops last week for no reason. A full charge would typically last me all day but 3 or 4 hours and it was drained. I eventually went into settings and unchecked Google Music to stop syncing......battery went back to normal with the next charge. Worth a shot if you have Google Music in the background.

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
With the thunderbolt it seems like the quality of the signal determines battery life, for the most part if you are on top of your screen brightness (the other most important part x screen awake time) - i think these two are the real determining factors in the battery scenario (outside of using gps excessively or something).

When you get a bad signal, or there is alot of 3g to 4g handoffs with no real lock, your radio is using extra power to try to boost the signal - this causes battery drain.