Time to escalate the reboot, batt issues to the ceo/vp

Joelist

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
I took mine to my local Verizon store today. The tech did a full wipe and restore and now it works perfectly. Not sure what he changed per se:

Baseband is now 1.16.00.402w_1

Build is now 605.7

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Verizon helps design the phones they select, purchase, and market as compatible with their network so they must be ultimately responsible for the user experience. They subsidize our purchase of these phones from them as an enticement for us to enter into a service contract. They contract with HTC to provide maintenance updates. Add to that the possibility that Verizon's complicated new eHRPD network is likely contributing to the ThunderBolt's data-connectivity (and perhaps even reboot) issues. I would not be surprised if the best HTC can do is reduce the frequency of reboots for most users but not eliminate them completely for everyone. A real-world network will never achieve perfect design and test conditions that HTC (and presumably Verizon both) worked with in the design of the ThunderBolt interface.

I got my phone on launch day so getting a CLNR is not really an issue for me. But a CLNR or a brand new phone is not likely to fix the issues for most people so it's kind of a moot point. My data connectivity and reboot problems are minimal but I nonetheless suggested to Verizon that they refund 50% of my data charges until these problems are fixed. They readily agreed. They would also provide a different phone if I wanted that. I'm sure I would have no diffiulty cancelling my contract if I wanted that. No big deal here IMHO.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to take a guess the OP never had to deal with the Gems they have over at Sprint. CS over there is a joke. I didn't even last my 2 years because I had it with the crappy service and even faultier hardware. My best experience was with my HTC Hero, which is why I didn't even consider any other phone but the Thunderbolt when I came to Verizon. The development community is vastly greater and better with HTC than any other company around. For the most part, the hardware/software is solid when you compare it to Samsung (never had a moto or new LG device, but I hear they are pretty solid hardware-wise). This phone did bother me with random reboots/shutting off while charging. So I returned it and bought an iPhone 4. I quickly went back to the Thunderbolt because I didn't feel like paying for apps I got free, and missing out on half the functionality of a business phone the android device provides (mainly the email application, 10x better imho). Since I got another NEW Thunderbolt, I haven't had any reboots. I am rooted and running MR1. I feel that most of my issues with the first thunderbolt were with Imoseyon's battsaver kernel. I haven't loaded it on this phone. I am tempted to try the MR2/2.5, but I'm pretty happy with my phone as is.

jcastag

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Really? I'm not new to rooting or installing custom roms, did that with my D1 and my DX. Haven't done it with my thunderbolt why? Because I shouldnt have too and neither should anyone else. jcastagnino Is right, vzw pushed the update and they are responsible for making things right. If these devs can make stable roms from the crap that is laked in a short time and thats a single person working on it, than why can't a multi-million dollar company like htc and vzw with hundreds of employees come out with a damn radio fix after 2 months? If they knew it was going to cost them some serious money like a class action lawsuit we would have had a properly working device months ago.
Thats exactly the point!!! I should not be forced to root to get the phone to function as it should. Also, keep in mind that rooting voids the warranty. So my options here are to either deal with the reboots, or void my warranty because VZW/HTC cant get their act together?? And that seems like a good resolution to you? LOL

And I didnt say they they should push the update out, but what they should do is focus more on getting the fix out instead of ignoring it and worrying about launching new handsets, changing data plans, etc..

The point is that VZW needs to start being held accountable for things like this, and not just have the "ignore and and it will go away" attitude.

jcastag

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
If it is HTCs fault, then VZW needs to get on them about getting this thing fixed. Let them know if they dont get the fix out then they will no longer be selling their products in the future. You would then see HTC move their a** and get this thing fixed before they lose a partnership with the largest carrier in the country.

If its VZWs fault (and yes I do partially blame them as well since they need time to add all of their bloatware on every OS before release) then they need to accept responsibility and make their customers right with this issue. Instead, VZW has the deal with it attitude and thats just wrong.

And if anyone here thinks that HTC/VZW are putting all the resources they should into fixing this you are fooling yourself. The TB is a small percentage of overall sales for them, and the issues dont affect all of those users. So if you play the numbers game, VZW/HTC would rather put more resources into new phones, new data plans, etc, than this.

Keep in mind, we are all under contract until March 2013 so they can take their time. If we have too many issues with this phone, VZW would be more than happy to sell us another handset - at full retail.

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Take a rational approach with customer service and 9 times out of 10 they'll bend over backwords for you.

Go in like the hothead you seen to be and you usually won't get far.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
If it is HTCs fault, then VZW needs to get on them about getting this thing fixed. Let them know if they dont get the fix out then they will no longer be selling their products in the future. You would then see HTC move their a** and get this thing fixed before they lose a partnership with the largest carrier in the country.

If its VZWs fault (and yes I do partially blame them as well since they need time to add all of their bloatware on every OS before release) then they need to accept responsibility and make their customers right with this issue. Instead, VZW has the deal with it attitude and thats just wrong.

And if anyone here thinks that HTC/VZW are putting all the resources they should into fixing this you are fooling yourself. The TB is a small percentage of overall sales for them, and the issues dont affect all of those users. So if you play the numbers game, VZW/HTC would rather put more resources into new phones, new data plans, etc, than this.

Keep in mind, we are all under contract until March 2013 so they can take their time. If we have too many issues with this phone, VZW would be more than happy to sell us another handset - at full retail.

Just for clarification, not all of us are under contract until 2013,my contract ends in 2012,i paid $30 more for a one year contract.

Also, people have gotten out of their contracts, or at least had their upgrade date resetvwith Verizon because of problems with phones. This does not mean your phone has a problem, then you call in demanding they cancel your contract without letting them try to remedy it with a few clnr.

groupdelay

May 2, 2011
Visit site
If I remember correctly, after the 3rd replacement, the standard policy used to be that Verizon would give you a different make/model of phone. I don't know if that still the case, but that was the policy stated to me when my wife had constant problems with a different phone (a year or so ago) and after the 3rd one they (local corporate store) said she had to get a different model...she had no choice. Maybe you should try this route if you are wanting to get a different phone.

Mortiel

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Thats exactly the point!!! I should not be forced to root to get the phone to function as it should. Also, keep in mind that rooting voids the warranty. So my options here are to either deal with the reboots, or void my warranty because VZW/HTC cant get their act together?? And that seems like a good resolution to you? LOL

And I didnt say they they should push the update out, but what they should do is focus more on getting the fix out instead of ignoring it and worrying about launching new handsets, changing data plans, etc..

The point is that VZW needs to start being held accountable for things like this, and not just have the "ignore and and it will go away" attitude.

Who at Verizon has taken the "ignore and it will go away" attitude? I must have missed the memo instructing us to completely disregard all manner of rebooting issue. Man, that would have saved me several weeks of 15 hours days working on the issue.

Two other things:

1. Installing the leaked MR2 does *NOT* require rooting.
2. On most devices, simply rooting the Android OS is completely irrelevant to warranty. Most manufacturer defects that would require a warranty replacement allow for you to unroot before you have to send the device back. Yes, the warranty becomes instantly valid again once the device is unrooted, granted that you are able to flash the stock ROM back in place with no issues.

If I remember correctly, after the 3rd replacement, the standard policy used to be that Verizon would give you a different make/model of phone. I don't know if that still the case, but that was the policy stated to me when my wife had constant problems with a different phone (a year or so ago) and after the 3rd one they (local corporate store) said she had to get a different model...she had no choice. Maybe you should try this route if you are wanting to get a different phone.

That policy is no longer in effect as of late last year. It was abused by customers with knowledge of the process far too much and got removed as a result.

This would be my primary reason to caution people not to abuse any policies they hear about. One person abusing something gets it removed for everyone.

Reactions: MegaSoundwave76

Jdyount

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
You're not bi***ing enough. Vzw has credited half of my bill for the past 2 months and I have 4 lines so its quite a bit of $$$. And if its not fixed by the next billing cycle they will be giving me credit for half that bill too. If the rep you are talking too doesn't give you the results you want ask to speak with a manager, if they don't give you results hang up and call again until you get the rep that helps you.

This is stupid and selfish, as is calling to get 4 replacement phones, and bugging V for free stuff (another battery). It is a known issue, get over it and wait for the fix, root, or install the update manually.

You don't bother to think about consequences. Do you think that this doesn't cost V money? That they just have the stuff laying around to give away, that they can give out free service with no effect? What do you think happens when Verizon's operating costs rise?

They charge customers more.............

You probably don't care because you're getting what you want.... I just hope that other people who read your ignorance will think about it, then be patient and wait for the fix to be released.

Last edited:

Almightyclown

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I have to agree that Verizon and/or HTC has dropped the ball when it comes to keeping this phone functional....but grow up. I rooted my phone as soon as I could and never experienced poor battery life or the rebooting issue. My wife didn't want her phone rooted and was having eight or nine reboots daily...she finally gave up and let me root her phone. She's happy now and we both love our phones. If I bought a car that was getting ten MPG and turning off at intersections...and I could fix that in ten minutes myself I would.

Tapatalk + HTC Thunderbolt = This post

Reactions: itsdollar

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site

Verizon would be stupid to threaten to stop offering HTC phones to their customers. The partnership works both ways as HTC has established itself as a leading brand and no longer a commodity supplier. HTC phones, including the ThunderBolt, still serve as an effective contract enticement. Verizon does pretty well at protecting and growing its revenue stream.

Thanks, Robrecht

itsdollar

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I have to agree that Verizon and/or HTC has dropped the ball when it comes to keeping this phone functional....but grow up. I rooted my phone as soon as I could and never experienced poor battery life or the rebooting issue. My wife didn't want her phone rooted and was having eight or nine reboots daily...she finally gave up and let me root her phone. She's happy now and we both love our phones. If I bought a car that was getting ten MPG and turning off at intersections...and I could fix that in ten minutes myself I would.

Tapatalk + HTC Thunderbolt = This post

Well written

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
... 2. On most devices, simply rooting the Android OS is completely irrelevant to warranty. Most manufacturer defects that would require a warranty replacement allow for you to unroot before you have to send the device back. Yes, the warranty becomes instantly valid again once the device is unrooted, granted that you are able to flash the stock ROM back in place with no issues. ...
That doesn't sound quite right, Mortiel. If rooting the phone does not void the warranty, why would I need to unroot the phone before sending it back? You yourself say that unrooting the phone causes the warranty to become instantly valid again so it must have been invalid while rooted. There are indeed cases where a phone will not even turn on fully, which will not allow it to be unrooted causing the warranty to be permanently invalidated. Such cases may or may not be caused by rooting or flashing a ROM.

Thanks, Robrecht

inthruoutdoor

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
This is stupid and selfish, as is calling to get 4 replacement phones, and bugging V for free stuff (another battery). It is a known issue, get over it and wait for the fix, root, or install the update manually.

You don't bother to think about consequences. Do you think that this doesn't cost V money? That they just have the stuff laying around to give away, that they can give out free service with no effect? What do you think happens when Verizon's operating costs rise?

They charge customers more.............

You probably don't care because you're getting what you want.... I just hope that other people who read your ignorance will think about it, then be patient and wait for the fix to be released.

This is a foolish perspective. We the customers are paying for a reliable service and if Verizon cannot provide that, they should do something to compensate for their error while they figure out a solution to the problem. Of course it costs them money just to have the issue to begin with, but if their customers don't show an interest in getting the problem fixed, there will be no extra incentive for them to dedicate more resources to the solution, or best case scenario, to correct their software development process so these issues do not occur in the future. So sure, maybe getting a free battery is selfish (I got one, in addition to half a month free), but we are paying them, and they owe us a reliable product so if they cannot deliver, we should be compensated in whatever way is appropriate until they resolve their problem.

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
This is a foolish perspective. We the customers are paying for a reliable service and if Verizon cannot provide that, they should do something to compensate for their error while they figure out a solution to the problem. Of course it costs them money just to have the issue to begin with, but if their customers don't show an interest in getting the problem fixed, there will be no extra incentive for them to dedicate more resources to the solution, or best case scenario, to correct their software development process so these issues do not occur in the future. So sure, maybe getting a free battery is selfish (I got one, in addition to half a month free), but we are paying them, and they owe us a reliable product so if they cannot deliver, we should be compensated in whatever way is appropriate until they resolve their problem.
I think Verizon is usually very willing to offer these kinds of compensation. They value a long-term relationship as this is their revenue stream.

Thanks, Robrecht

baja141

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
Totally agree. We the buyers have to stop acting like sheep accepting everything these cooperate fool tell us. We are putting out our hard earn money for stuff that doesn't wrk properly. Why should I take it on my own to fix a phone. When was the last time the weather widget shop the correct location. All these companies are playing us for suckers. But we keep buying

inthruoutdoor

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I think Verizon is usually very willing to offer these kinds of compensation. They value a long-term relationship as this is their revenue stream.

Thanks, Robrecht
Absolutely, and that is all I was trying to say. They will work with you, but you have to ask for it because they are not about to just hand stuff out to everyone with a TBolt. That is why I think Jdyount's comment was ridiculous because we did not create the problem, so it should not be on us to tolerate Verizon's mistakes when we are paying for product maturity and reliability. And given the situation with how long it has taken them to push an update (and naturally, I do not want an immature product...again), they should have at least offered an option to rollback to the old solftware once this issue became known.

dmcman73

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Also, it's an awesome phone with a few annoying issues that will always have crappy battery life because it's a giant, bright touchscreen connected smartphone.

Also, let me reiterate....IT'S JUST A PHONE. This week, a woman got away with abusing and murdering her daughter and driving around with her body for a month. Get some perspective on things, dude.

But it's a phone that does not act like a phone. I use my phone for work and so far about 8-12 times it has rebooted on me in the middle of a phone conversation. Usually if it's a dropped call because of network issues you can redial the person back right away. With a reboot, you're sitting there waiting for the damn thing to come back up so you can make a damn phone call. What's worrisome about this is what happens if I was in a really bad accident and I go to call 911 for medical help and the damn phone reboots? Or , something that I have done in the past, what if I'm at the scene of a horrendous accident and I call 911 to help those that need emergency medical help and my phone reboots? "Please stop bleeding sir while my phone reboots".

Also, I use it as my GPS as well and a few times in the middle of a route my phone has rebooted leaving me to pull over to the side of the road and wait for it to come back up so I can start the GPS up again. Not a big deal but annoying.

So no, it's not JUST A PHONE. I can deal with the battery issues as I have a charger in my car and at my desk but the reboots are a serious SERIOUS issue.