When is a reboot not a reboot?

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Folks,

Finally happened. My Bolt spontaneously rebooted last night. Problems are not definitively fixed in the update. But I guess this is why the documentation left the "out" it did by saying it fixed "most" restarts.

But get this: my "up time" is still at 102 hours and my awake time is at 44. How can this be? How didnthe reboot not clear these values?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

jdk2

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Maybe Sense crashed and had to reload all of your screens? A reboot should clear the uptime and awake times.

rabernet

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Maybe Sense crashed and had to reload all of your screens? A reboot should clear the uptime and awake times.

This. I've had Sense crash, and re-load. But that's not a reboot - so I guess that's the answer to your question of when is a reboot not a reboot.

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Ah, ok, that makes sense. I assumed reboot because I did see the Thunderbolt storm, lightning, and sounds. And the phone did reconnect, reload apps, etc. In the past, a Sense crash would simply give me a standard looking "force close" dialog and then a "loading" popup while the interface redrew.

Come to think of it, I didn't see the big white wipe either. It went black, I saw the "HTC Simply Brilliant" screen, then the new style Thunderstorm, and the restoration. Never saw that bright white screen with just the "HTC".

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Ah, ok, that makes sense. I assumed reboot because I did see the Thunderbolt storm, lightning, and sounds. And the phone did reconnect, reload apps, etc. In the past, a Sense crash would simply give me a standard looking "force close" dialog and then a "loading" popup while the interface redrew.

Come to think of it, I didn't see the big white wipe either. It went black, I saw the "HTC Simply Brilliant" screen, then the new style Thunderstorm, and the restoration. Never saw that bright white screen with just the "HTC".

No, it doesn't make sense (no pun intended). If you only had a Sense crash, and not a reboot, you would not have seen the storm & clouds, etc Did you have fast boot enabled by any chance?

MRW1215

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
It's weird, because I was on the MR1 update since the day it came out, but I didn't start getting reboots until about 4-5 weeks ago. It was only once a day, so it wasn't too bad. My phone hasn't been able to download the MR2 update until this morning, but I've noticed that prior to today, I haven't had any reboots for over a week now. Not only that, but it seems like I almost never get stuck on 1X anymore (frequently, when I would turn on my phone, it'd default to 1X, and I'd have to use LTE OnOff to force into 3G instead of 4G).

I only just got the new OTA this morning, so I know that wasn't what's "fixed" my phone. Perhaps I've just been lucky for the last week or two, I dunno. Not that I'm complaining, of course, it just seems odd that the issues I've been having with my phone have pretty much disappeared on their own, without me having done an update.

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
i don't think the radio was ever causing the reboots. im thinking an overheating cpu or battery may be the issue. mine only happens when im on a charge.

That wouldn't explain why the reboots occurred only in certain areas. Here in Raleigh/Garner, NC where I live and work, I've had 0 random reboots. Go to my parents just outside of the 4G area near wilmington and it would reboot like clockwork. Others have also reported reboots only in certain areas. At least for me, even GB and the "MR2.5" radio didn't stop them entirely, just reduced the number from maybe 1 every 24-48 hours instead of 3-4 ever day. I have the official MR2 radio now so I'll give that a go when I'm down there this weekend and see how things go.

As for the OP, I'm really not sure how the counters didn't reset if you actually saw the boot sequence and animations. That's just odd.

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
I've definitely had my counters reset on a random reboot with Fast Boot enabled. Just tried it and chose hot restart and the counter didn't reset but it skipped the white HTC screen. Chose normal reboot and, got the white HTC screen and counters were reset which mirrors the random reboots I've had. This is on BAMF Sense 3.0 RC4

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
His description would be the normal, expected behavior if he has fast boot enabled.

Thanks, Robrecht

All interesting points, thanks everybody. No, Fast Boot is not turned on. I had toyed with that setting a few weeks ago and saw no real difference in how a restart worked, so I left it unchecked. Could this be some kind of silly bug with that checkbox? Dunno, but I'll do some boot testing when I get home later.

On the longer standing reboot issue, I got them both charging and not charging. I was always in motion, by foot or car, which supported the theories of GPS or tower handoffs. Last night, though, I was just standing there in the kitchen with the phone in my hand. All my theories out the window.

Last edited:

jdk2

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Fast boot only works when shutting the phone down completely. It doesn't work on a reboot (forced or otherwise).

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Fast boot only works when shutting the phone down completely. It doesn't work on a reboot (forced or otherwise).

Ok, then Fast Boot definitely isn't what happened last night then.

Last edited:

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Just did a warm reset and my counters went back to zero. Boot took a LONG time, too.

I don't get it!