Thunderbolt stability for home internet use

Buzzy42

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Hi everyone... I just got a notice from my cable company that my contract is up and (Big shock here) my monthly cable bill is about to skyrocket. They don't even appear to be cutting discounts anymore for contracts (I have been on contracts with them the last 4 years or so and saved a decent amount of money). All they offered to give me based on the initial letter was a discount on home phone service or discounted HBO. Thanks. :p

I was fretting a bit about what to do and it hit me-- I should just pay up to Verizon the $30 for unlimited tethering (I have an unlimited 4G plan) and use the Bolt. I haven't actually been using my home stuff very much (long story, let's just say there have been lots of issues in my family and I've been helping out and haven't been at my own place much). Most of my TV watching is either local networks or streaming online so I don't NEED cable and the 4G service is pretty close in most circumstances speed-wise. (or close enough for the net $60-$70ish I'd be saving every month).

Has anyone used the Thunderbolt on a fairly "permanent" basis as a home internet connection? I'd likely have it going 4-5 hours a day for the times I am there, maybe more, most of the time less (as I wouldn't be using it every day, just maybe a couple days a week or so). I'd likely to be using quite a bit of data during those times, though. I know it sucks battery like mad, but as long as I plug in the Bolt are there any stability issues or other concerns to watch out for?

I feel in a way like it's sort of a "too good to be true" solution so I'm just checking my bases here. I figure once my life quiets down a bit I might want to rethink it but there's no reason to pay the cable company through the nose for the priveledge of not doing much for me. (Plus I could use my Transformer tablet on the go much easier than I do now!)

(note: I know all about rooting and tethering but honestly if I go this route I am likely to use a LOT of data and it'd be saving me so much to cancel my cable TV/internet service I don't mind paying Verizon fair and square in this case)

Thanks for any advice/comments.. :)

Last edited:

ssethv

ANDROID OBSESSED
Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Im rooted and biased ;) in your case all you have to gain is more money in your pocket if you can get the 30 a month unlimited tethering... go for it...

plus 4g is WAY faster than your home internet is... I use wireless tether all the time and it blows my home internet away...

you seem like you have your mind made up already and you seem like a smart shopper, you'll do the right thing ;) if you conscience is the only thing from rooting, then just pay verizon fair and square...

have fun and happy surfing...

KingChicago

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
There are a few issues. 1: if you plan on using it for console gaming, it wont work too well. I havent found anywhere that has the tethering with open NAT that allows for the console online playing. 2: it depends on the quality of the LTE signal hitting in your home. If it comes through consistently and is fairly stable, then you will be fine, but dont be too upset when it hops around from LTE to 3g to 1x and your interneting is disrupted :)

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Just because they say unlimited does not mean they wont throttle your connection if you get to extreme with usage. I simply cancelled all services and kept my Turbo internet service and used DTV and stream videos online to TV, haven't missed Cable TV

Buzzy42

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the input everyone. I am definitely leaning strongly towards cancelling cable, I just wanted to get some input from people who have really tried it before I called the cable company and played hardball with them. (i.e., be willing to go through with cancelling if they started throwing offers at me) The last time I talked to them about ditching all but internet access I got some bizarre talk about a "non cable fee" of like $50 on top of the cable internet bill. It conveniently made it about $5 less to be "internet only" than "tv+internet". But I didn't have a whole lot of options then, I do now. :) (there is some issue with the phone lines around me that DSL is very, very slow, and I don't think FIOS is in the area yet) Who knows, maybe if they sense I'm serious they'll let me cancel the cable TV and give me a good enough price on internet only that I'll stay.

My 4g does "wobble" a bit but as long as the phone is near a window is seems fairly stable. I'll just have to leave it in the right place if I am trying to do steady downloading/etc.

Good to know about online gaming. I don't do a lot of it so I'm not too concerned about it but it's good to know it may be an issue. Is it just gaming or does ANY console internet activity (PSN/XBLA/etc) get affected?

I'm not planning on going TOTALLY nuts with the access (for unlimited)... I think I'll stay below the numbers many people have posted here that they're doing just on their phone.. ;) I just know I could easily use 1-2GB per day (keep in mind I am not expecting to be using it every single day, only a few a week). Enough that I don't want to root/tether and be an obvious scofflaw. Plus, like I said, I'd be saving so much getting rid of cable that it would more than pay to be a "legal" customer of Verizon. :)

Thanks for the input, everyone! I'll probably be calling the cable company this week to see what they say, but if they aren't willing to cut me some sort of a discount like I've had in past years it sounds like the Thunderbolt path is very feasible with a few little glitches. :)

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
You really have to analyze your needs first...

Keep in mind that if you have a lot of Internet dependent devices in your home, there are chances you'll be using a LOT of data, and in some cases, won't be able to use those devices to their full potential. For example, in my home I have 2 desktop computers, 1 laptop, 1 tablet, a PS3, a Wii, a Vonage phone, and a slingbox all using my Internet connection. Most of those devices can connect to a wireless hotspot (except for the voip phone and slingbox, plus I'd have to get wireless adapters for my desktop computers), and when it comes to gaming systems, you will take a performance hit trying to run off a tethered connection.

Also, keep in mind that when your Thunderbolt leaves the house...so does the Internet. If you have other people than yourself using Internet at your home, they may not be too thrilled about waiting for you get home to use it.

In the case of my slingbox, for example, let's face it, the main reason I have it is to use when I'm NOT home.

I don't know who your cable provider is, but have in the past been able to get a discount rate re-applied by RENEWING the contract. Yeah, it puts you back on the hook for a long-term commitment, but if you know you're not gonna be moving/switching anytime soon, that could be something to look into if your cable co. will let you do that.

plus 4g is WAY faster than your home internet is... I use wireless tether all the time and it blows my home internet away...

It may be faster than YOUR home Internet. My home internet connection is actually quite fast, slightly better on a speed test than 4G LTE, and much better on ping test and general reliability and performance.

In other words, your milage may vary.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Hi everyone... :)
It would only be fair to appraise you of the TOS, just in case you've not seen them...

From the VZW Terms of Service. Highlighting mine.

-----------------------START----------------------------------
Customers who do not have dedicated Mobile Broadband devices [i.e. smartphones] cannot tether other devices to laptops or personal
computers for use as wireless modems unless they subscribe to Mobile Broadband Connect. We further reserve the right to take measures to protect our network and other users from harm, compromised capacity or degradation in performance. These measures may impact your service, and we reserve the right to deny, modify or terminate service, with or without notice, to anyone we believe is using Data Plans or Features in a manner that adversely impacts our network.

We may monitor your compliance, or other subscribers’ compliance, with these terms and conditions, but we will not monitor the content of your communications except as otherwise expressly permitted or required by law. [See verizonwireless.com/privacy]
Last Update 07/13/11
-----------------------END--------------------------------

-----------------------START-----------------------------
Data Plans and Features: Prohibited Uses
You may not use our Data Plans and Features for illegal purposes or purposes that infringe upon others’ intellectual property rights, or in a manner that interferes with other users’ service, interferes with the network’s ability to fairly allocate capacity among users or that otherwise degrades service quality for other users. Examples of prohibited usage include: (i) server devices or host computer applications, including continuous Web camera posts or broadcasts, automatic data feeds, automated machine-to-machine connections or peer-to-peer (P2P) file-sharing applications that are broadcast to multiple servers or recipients such that they could enable “bots” or similar routines (as set forth in more detail in (iii) below) or otherwise denigrate network capacity or functionality; (ii) as a substitute or backup for private lines or dedicated data connections; (iii) “auto-responders,” “cancel-bots,” or similar automated or manual routines that generate amounts of net traffic that could disrupt net user groups or email use by others; (iv) generating “spam” or unsolicited commercial or bulk email (or activities that facilitate the dissemination of such email); (v) any activity that adversely affects the ability of other users or systems to use either Verizon Wireless’ services or the Internet-based resources of others, including the generation or dissemination of viruses, malware or “denial of service” attacks; (vi) accessing, or attempting to access without authority, the information, accounts or devices of others, or to penetrate, or attempt to penetrate, Verizon Wireless’ or another entity’s network or systems; or (vii) running software or other devices that maintain continuous active Internet connections when a computer’s connection would otherwise be idle, or “keep alive” functions, unless they adhere to Verizon Wireless’ requirements for such usage, which may be changed from time to time. By way of example only, you may not use a Data Plan or Feature for Web broadcasting, or for the operation of servers, telemetry devices and/or Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition devices.
--------------------------------END-----------------------------------

Not taking sides here, but you should know.

-Frank

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I got some bizarre talk about a "non cable fee" of like $50 on top of the cable internet bill.:)
This isn't "bizarre talk". They have always charged more for a stand-alone Internet connection. Combining it with your existing TV service has always been cheaper. Same goes for the phone companies with DSL. Adding it to a voice plan is always cheaper than a stand-alone line (they call it a "dry line"). Not bizarre.

-Frank

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Just make sure it doesn't overheat. I set mine above one of the fans in a laptop cooling pad. Charging and tethering simultaneously gets it hot in a hurry.

I use mine as my home connection for the same reasons...minimal use and hardline solutions being obscenely priced. People can scoff at me all they want, but that's $840 a year I'm not paying. I go to a coffee shop for the hardcore downloads.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I use mine as my home connection for the same reasons...minimal use and hardline solutions being obscenely priced. People can scoff at me all they want, but that's $840 a year I'm not paying.
Personally, I find the price of laptops somewhat "obscene". So when I go to Best Buy, I just slip one into my jacket every few years. I don't really use my laptop all that often. Somtimes I do the same thing with dress shirts. I mean, really, how often am I gonna wear a dress shirt?

-Frank

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Personally, I find the price of laptops somewhat "obscene". So when I go to Best Buy, I just slip one into my jacket every few years. I don't really use my laptop all that often. Somtimes I do the same thing with dress shirts. I mean, really, how often am I gonna wear a dress shirt?

-Frank

"Now that's funny right there, I don't care who you are!" - Larry the Cable Guy

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site

-Frank
I figured one of you would come along shortly.

Sokar

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
I just started using mine as my full time Internet connection. I got rid of all my cable junk and got sattelite. That was the plan all along when I got the Thunderbolt and saw that 4g was coming to my area soon.

After they turned up 4g here, I tested everything in my house that needed Internet and it works like a charm. I do considerable streaming on Netflix and it never drops and has full HD quality. I don't play online games, but I was expect it would lag a good bit.

Downloads are a little slower than they were with Comcast cable modem. Do yourself a favor and don't listen to fanboys who claim it runs circles around cable modems. It doesn't. It is clearly not faster than a cable modem. If you were sitting under a Verizon tower, maybe you would see that, but chances are you don't.

Finally, don't give them any more money than you already do. $30 a month to use the phone as a hotspot when the capability is built into the phone to begin with is flat out robbery. Root the thing and use it the way you want to.

Hope that helps you. I'm saving $90 a month now using this thing for Internet and switching to dish.

Last edited by a moderator:

dragonsamus

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
I've used it for Netflix streaming and it works well. I've played Mario Kart on Wii and it worked well but that game does not compare to games on the Xbox or PS3.

AndroidGod

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
I use unofficial tethering a lot (tried official for a few days free on an older firmware), and have never gotten any warning from Verizon. Just know that some roms won't work well with it, which isn't an issue if you aren't rooted. Also, Verizon MAY get suspicious if you use extremely large amounts of data in a short time period. Besides for that, go ahead and tether. Everything should work fine.

doctorg23

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I didn't realize there is actually an unlimited tethering plan.....

No worries, I am going to keep my home internet, but could someone clarify the tethering plans? I thought there was a 2GB limit for $30...

Thanks.

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site

No worries, I am going to keep my home internet, but could someone clarify the tethering plans? I thought there was a 2GB limit for $30...

Thanks.
If you are grandfather'd with unlimited data, then you can get unlimited tethering for an additional $30/month.

Thanks, Robrecht

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site

Thanks.

Here ya go...

This is for the Tiered data plans...
http://forums.androidcentral.com/1148628-post17.html

This is for the grandfathered Unlimited data plans for $30/mo in addition to your phone unlimited data plan of $30/mo...
http://forums.androidcentral.com/1149565-post19.html

Note: On the Tiered plans, there is no Tethering "add-on". You simply have to pick a complete data plan that either includes tethering or does not. Also, Unlimited tethering Grandfaring for $30/mo is for people who already had an unlimited data plan before 7/7/11.

-Frank

Last edited:

jayar26

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Does anybody else have problems with the data connection staying on? Mine always shuts off when using the Mobile Hotspot feature, and NEVER stays connected for more than a few seconds at a time. I'm in Honolulu which is blanketed with 4G, and as long as my hotspot is off my 4G is always solid.
This is my 2nd Thunderbolt and both have done it before and after the last update (not rooted). It almost makes me want to cancel my Unlimited Hotspot feature. :-\

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Does anybody else have problems with the data connection staying on? Mine always shuts off when using the Mobile Hotspot feature, and NEVER stays connected for more than a few seconds at a time. I'm in Honolulu which is blanketed with 4G, and as long as my hotspot is off my 4G is always solid.
This is my 2nd Thunderbolt and both have done it before and after the last update (not rooted). It almost makes me want to cancel my Unlimited Hotspot feature. :-\
I have never had this issue. I have never been rooted. Have you tried: Menu | Settings | Wireless & Networks | Mobile Hotspot Settings | Menu | Advanced | Set for "Always on" (rather than "Disable after 5 mins. of inactivity" or "Disable after 10 minutes of inactivity".

-Frank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress