Is 4G Really Worth It?

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
That's all you get on LTE? :p

20110611-01.jpg
It's really just a function of the server one uses for these tests. Not unusual to see a 10-fold difference at the same time in the same location.

Thanks, Robrecht

One Radical Dude

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
4G LTE download speeds are up to 3+x the speed of my broadband at my home, and the difference is even greater for upload speeds. So, no, not all people with Wi-Fi are getting 4G LTE speeds. Yes, it's worth it.

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
I am on Sprint using an EVO 4G, so already paying for it. No 4G in Memphis, TN, and already paying more than I can afford. Sprint, please let me go back to lower cost 3G, after all that is all that I get.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I recently went through this issue (and ended up getting a 3G Droid 3.)

The two places I use my phone the most are work and home (90% of the time.) Both places I have access to high speed wifi (12-20Mbps at home, 5 to 10 Mbps at work.) I played with a buddy's Revolution at work and it can't get any 4G in the office even though it is in the middle of the Twin Cities 4G area. At home I'm on the very edge of the 4G area.

As for the other 10% of the time, the time when I'm not around wifi, I tend to not be in a 4G area (out at test sites, or worse... a weekend at the in-laws ...in dial-up-ville.)

As such, 4G didn't seem worth it me (I really like physical keyboards.)

6 months to a year from now it will be a non-issue. But right now someone should evaluate their needs for their situation and not be swayed by popular thinking on the subject.

-Suntan

BobbyPhoenix

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
To me the whole 4G thing is crazy. First for me, and what I do, I don't need anything over 2MBPS to be happy. Anything over is wasted. I laugh at the carriers these days. It seems the faster they make the speeds the more they charge, and the lower limits they give you to max those speeds out, and either throttle you to EDGE, or charge you more. Why can't they just hit an even ground where it's back to unlimited WITH a speed cap of say 5MBPS. Anywhos just my take on this issue. As a matter of fact I have a Desire HD that I use here in the states, and it only gets EDGE, and other than it being a bit slow on the browser, it does everything I need it to otherwise, even at EDGE speeds.

the one and only M

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
When your data speed jumps from 0.7 mbps to 15 mbps, I'd say that's life changing. My expierience with 4G has really been nothing but awesomeness (besides the two outages ;) ).

manic_dragon

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
4G is amazing! It just turned on today here in Provo Utah (it may just be a test) and my first test gave me 12 Mbps. It is so fast!
I think its kind bogus that the price for 3g and 4g is the same, considering the difference. Why do the cqrriers think that this is acceptable?

mooserman

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
4G is a beast! LTE in my area is 30 mbps down and 40 mbps up! That's insane! Meanwhile I barely get an average of .35 mbps on 3G at my house( With my Dx)...

Blastin

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I dunno about the OP's question since I'm not on sprint nor verizon. I do think the 4g fad from verizon/att is pretty funny when 2gb per month nets you like a few hours of hulu/netflix streaming per month.

Here is my view when I see that LG revolution commercial by Verizon on TV.

"Get your LG revolution that comes preloaded with netflix from Verizon!"

Then your average user finds out that the new 2gb data cap for smartphone is enough to stream hulu/netflix for a few hours tops!

Last edited:

DaEXfactoR

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
If we are talking 4G in general, while Sprints wimax hasn't blown me away, where I usual use it, it isn't terrible. The problem being the coverage is spotty at best, and most of the time I can't get a good connection. There is an extra $10 a month add on, but Sprint claims its not a 4G surcharge.

goglen

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
I must be an old-fart, because I cannot really understand the obsession with so much more/faster data for a handheld.

I have broadband at home (4 'puters), and at work. My wife finally got our family's first smartphone - Droid Charge (4g VZ). Honesty? The speed is irrelevant. It does not really matter if her facebook page comes up in 0.7 or 1.3 seconds!!!

Maybe it will make a difference for streaming Netflix (kids are 3.5 & 7); we upgraded just in time to get unlimited (and I added unlimited to my dumbphone - I intend to finally get a smartphone when the Nexus 4G rolls out).

However, stop and think about how much you're really paying for a "third" (home, work/school) internet connection. I'm not sure I'll use mine much - I'm usually home, at work, driving, or doing something (at Six Flags, etc). Most of my data will probably be the kids playing around in the car.

So, no, 4G doesn't *really* matter. I'm just not going to buy into yesterday's technology today ;)

Romnen

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
After living with 4g for three months and now living back in 3g again I would say it matters. I wouldn't pay extra for it though out of the fact that i shouldn't have to pay just because my phone can use 4g. If they wanted to do that then in my opinion they shouldn't have rolled out 4g until all phones were ready to use 4g. I'm glad they didn't go that route and charge extra. However if you don't have an unlimited data plan I don't see why you would really care. It only comes in handy when streaming and downloading large files which isn't something I think most people without unlimited data on their phones would do which negates the point of having 4g.
As for battery life I can deal. Nothing is going to change it until we see an improvement in battery tech and I find sim cards to be advantageous. For instance when my replacement 'Bolt arrived today instead of having to call and go through Verizon to activate it all I had to do was pop in my sim card and I away I went.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
hmmm... youtube "HD" videos load in seconds... yeah. I love the no buffer way of things. Also, battery life seems to be a lot better with the latest Gingerbread roms (no custom kernels, so battery life should be as expected as stock). Right now, the only thing I don't like about the thunderbolt is that I can't see the screen outdoors.

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I am not defending Verizon but I am acknowledging reality, network upgrades cost money to do, the 3G network did not support the speeds that LTE supports until the Service Pervider upgraded the hardware and software to work with the supplied service.

Where do you think the money comes from for the upgrades? It comes from the companies profit margin that everyone believes don't get effected.

Verizon is in business to make money but for some reason the customer feels they are suppose to pay for everything from their pockets, the company adjust the money invested into the upgrades with increasing.their rates. This is a common business practice. If you question this go try another carrier and see what you find.

jd6102

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I think 4G only matters significantly if you download and/or stream large files regularly. Internet browsing over 3G works just fine in my opinion, and most of the time I'm running on wifi anyways which is nearly as fast as 4G. Hence, I don't think I would pay more monthly fee to have 4G access.

Yes 3g works just fine but it is still slower than LTE. And if your on VZW you don't pay more for LTE. I've had the $30 unlimited plan since I've been with VZW and when I got the TB my plan didn't go up. And WiFi works well only if you can use it all the time but I almost never have it unless I'm at home. So LTE in my area is great. I think you'd notice a huge difference if you actually use a 4G phone.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
hmmm... youtube "HD" videos load in seconds... yeah. I love the no buffer way of things. Also, battery life seems to be a lot better with the latest Gingerbread roms (no custom kernels, so battery life should be as expected as stock). Right now, the only thing I don't like about the thunderbolt is that I can't see the screen outdoors.

Andrew,

Well I suggest you get rooted and flash a AOSP Rom(Cyanogenmod7?) and probably a Tiamat kernel?

My OG Evo used to ave from about 6-7 hours of moderate(on/off internet,email,texting) use,
completely dead.

As we speak am on 7 hours of moderate use and my battery is still at 81%

Plus I'am overclocked @ 1228MHZ(setcpu smartass setting) makes a difference in performance IMO.

The phone feels much snappier my linpack scores went up from about 34 MFLOPS
to 43MFLOPS and Quadrant from 11,000 to 15,000

Simply amazing only after 2 days since flashing

Forgot to add am on the original stock 1500 MAh battery from last September ;)

Last edited: